Author Topic: New Editor  (Read 5718 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
New Editor
« Topic Start: April 04, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
Ok, I need the community here.

What is the problem with the new editor? I simply don't get it. I've been using it myself for quite a while now and I have no idea how people manage to mess up linebreaks, get HTML code into their messages or whatever the other issues are.

I really don't get it. But I need to in order to fix the problems, if there are any. So please help me out by telling me PRECISELY, STEP-BY-STEP how you do it. How do you manage to mess up the linebreaks? How do you get HTML code into your messages? Tell me.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: New Editor
« Reply #1: April 04, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
One problem I have, not sure if this is the editor or something else in the message system: When using the mobile site from my Android phone (stock browser), all line breaks are stripped out. Your message is sent as one long paragraph.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 04, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I get that as well, using the Mercury browser on my iPad. I have to specifically go and put the "br" tags in there. Just hitting ENTER means the line breaks get stripped out when I send the letter.

Edit: This is when using the mobile site.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:30:20 PM by Velax »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 04, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »
I believe that these issues are related to the fact that the newly-updated poll code attempts to send poll notification messages with line break tags in them, but they all get stripped out.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 04, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
Another issue I just remembered relates to using italics/bold with the keyboard shortcuts. Type a few words, then turn on bold (ctrl+b), then type a few more words. Then hit the left arrow key like you're going to go back and fix a typo. You will see that the cursor is actually still back where it was when you turned on bold text.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 04, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
When typing plain text, my main issues are:

-When I use m.battlemaster.org, all formatting disappears and my text is sent as one long paragraph. This occurs with chrome on a computer.

-I often write long texts in an external text editor (notepad type, ascii files or rtf files) and I copy them in the game editor when I'm ready to send them. When I do that, all line breaks are doubled and the spacing between paragraphs becomes too large.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 04, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
-I often write long texts in an external text editor (notepad type, ascii files or rtf files) and I copy them in the game editor when I'm ready to send them. When I do that, all line breaks are doubled and the spacing between paragraphs becomes too large.

The editor really should default to paste-as-plain-text. The fact a copied message from in-game looks messed up(sender becomes invisible due to color issues etc.) in the editor without taking extra steps is an annoyance. It would also probably solve issues like the one vonGenf mentioned.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

egamma

« Reply #7: April 04, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »

That looks like a CR+LF problem, common between windows and linux type systems. Windows uses CR+LF as a single line feed, and Linux treats it as two separate line feeds.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 04, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
When using keyboard shortcuts for bold or italics (ctrl + b, ctril + i), often times when turning the bold/italics off via the same keyboard shortcut and then continue typing, for some reason it will fail to turn off the bold/italics. It usually takes me finishing what I am typing and then highlighting it and actually clicking the bold/italics button.

I use Firefox with OS X 10.7.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 05, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
A problem no one seem to have mentioned is that lengthy messages are cut down without warning. Before there was the double warning of the character count and the line break added when previewing a long message. Now, once preview is hit, the text which doesn't fit simply disappears.

Also, very useful plugins such as Lazarus form recovery do not work. (at least not with chrome on mac os x and win 7). Probably that's nothing that can be fixed by you anyway, just wanted to remind it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 05, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »
The cutting of messages short is especially an issue when including pasted text. The text is pasted as rich text, with HTML markup included. It is truncated before disallowed code is stripped. For example, try copy/pasting a dozen scout reports. Over half will get chopped, but the returned text will have well under 5k characters.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 05, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »
I've grown used to it. And honestly, playing mainly on testing, it feels weird to type in the old message box. The new one really is way handier when it comes to underlining, quoting etc. If it works as intended.

I often have that I write something in italic, then turn italics off, but that action puts my mouse back at the front of the letter and where I was typing, it's still italics.

I've learned to circumvent it by just selecting what I want to put in italics, or what I wanted to quote after I've written my letter, which is still a lot more user-friendly than the html.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 05, 2012, 02:52:28 AM »
The editor really should default to paste-as-plain-text. The fact a copied message from in-game looks messed up(sender becomes invisible due to color issues etc.) in the editor without taking extra steps is an annoyance. It would also probably solve issues like the one vonGenf mentioned.

I wish it would keep the formatting, but strip the colors (which don't get sent), if that's at all possible. Keeping the bold is really nice to transfer messages, makes it easier to spot where they start and end.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: April 05, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
If we had a javascript hacker, all kinds of modifications would be easy.

I largely take it that a lot of the issues are from differences between the editors and once you get used to the new one, most stuff works. One more reason to update stable very soon.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: April 05, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
One problem I have, not sure if this is the editor or something else in the message system: When using the mobile site from my Android phone (stock browser), all line breaks are stripped out. Your message is sent as one long paragraph.

This will be fixed in the next update.

The editor really should default to paste-as-plain-text.

It will in the next update.

Type a few words, then turn on bold (ctrl+b), then type a few more words. Then hit the left arrow key like you're going to go back and fix a typo. You will see that the cursor is actually still back where it was when you turned on bold text.

Can't reproduce this despite trying several times.

When using keyboard shortcuts for bold or italics (ctrl + b, ctril + i), often times when turning the bold/italics off via the same keyboard shortcut and then continue typing, for some reason it will fail to turn off the bold/italics.

Some browser and OS as you, but can't reproduce.