Author Topic: Fontan's Surprising Strength  (Read 44840 times)

Allomere

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Fontan's Surprising Strength
« Reply #120: April 06, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »
What is it with people on this forum and bullsh*t? I’d really like to know.

“Aurvandil has too big an army” “Fontan can’t sustain its army”

Well Aurvandil has so much gold we’re drowning in it and Fontan didn’t need my help to maintain and grow its army. Its an active realm, that’s what happens when people actually play the game. Besides, as Brock said Lyze seems to be making more enemies in the Ministry of Defence than allies. If there is a clan in Fontan I’d like to be in it, since at the moment all I am hitting on is a tough crowd.

Why did Fontan go up in characters? Well quite few doubled up, a few joined from Ibladesh, new characters from new and established families alike and others heard about the war. We’ve even had quite a few defectors from Sirion and Westmoor if you check the OOC’s below. On top of that good players tend to stick together and it seems Aurvandil is proving time and time again. First we were told we’re a clan and since then we’ve all become a hell of a lot more chatty and friendly OOC. That’s what happens when you actually enjoy playing the game with other people. Ruin other people’s fun? That’s their problem for getting their back up over anything they don’t like while other people enjoy the game for what it is. So sure people end up playing together. Am I meant to say “No, you can’t join this realm”. It is a player’s choice to play where they want to!

Out-of-Character from Allomere de' Striguile (10 days, 10 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (45 recipients)
Sorry guys, bit over worked. I'm general of Fontan also and we've just been thrown into a war.
Jason Cavander

Out-of-Character from Wallace Argyll (10 days, 7 hours ago)
Jason, you're at war with my other character then ;)

Out-of-Character from Faramond Gallien Griffirtaen (10 days, 1 hour ago)
I just rejoined Fontan since my last character got killed there some time ago and I was looking for a place for a third. Good fun realm.

You better make us win Allomere!
Joseph Lant

Out-of-Character from Humphrey Hufflepuff-Higginbobble (10 days ago)
I'm in Westmoor though I think im leaving. Rather be on the winning side plus the place is really boring!

Out-of-Character from Hyperion Harte (9 days, 23 hours ago)
Who are you fighting? Should I unpause my character in Nivemus? :P
Noah Congdon

Out-of-Character from Hyperion Harte (9 days, 22 hours ago)
Ohnar West on the Far East just got into a war, too. I know there are a bunch of OWers here, but how many Toupellon players?
Noah Congdon

Out-of-Character from Baldwin Amalric (9 days, 21 hours ago)
I'm in Greater Aenilia, and I cannot fathom why.
Raynald Beqaa

Out-of-Character from Ricardo of the Cedillo (9 days, 10 hours ago)
I'm in Toupellon, vaguely. I'm also in Fontan with one of the best adventurers on the continent!
Edward Cedillo

As has been said before, if there is a clan in Aurvandil it isn’t managing to do anything. The Ruler and General, Mendicant and Allomere, don’t bow to anyone, and the Judge and Banker has almost no challenge in keeping their position, so this cross Saxon-Fontan-Aurvandil-Arcachon-Caerwyn-Nivemus clan is either absurdly big and massively underachieving or they’re so laizzez faire that just sit in realms and participate. Either way, jealousy from lesser players always comes out. This clanning attack is just an easy way of putting it out there.

http://memegenerator.net/instance/17933598
Aurvandil - Knight Hausos At Arms Allomere de' Striguile
Vive le Souverain!!!
Ave Auziwandilaz!!!

Azul

• Peasant
    • View Profile

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #122: April 06, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
I have issued moderator warnings to everyone I noticed as overly aggressive, insulting or otherwise contributing to the flamefest.

Is this how you'd talk to your friends over a boardgame?

Get a grip, people.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123: April 06, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
And so, from this thread, we can learn one thing definitively:

Whether or not there is a clan that has taken over Fontan, the fact that there was a clan in Thulsoma, that took over Averoth, that shares some players with Fontan (and these facts are not, I believe, in dispute) has led to deep OOC bitterness and anger on all sides.

This, I think, is the worst danger of clans. The witch hunts. The recriminations. The belief, even years later, that your realm was destroyed unfairly by a clan you never had a chance against.

This is the sort of thing that can ruin a game's community. And this is why I appeal to those who did participate in the Saxon realms: Please, do not go around to any other realms en masse and take them over. You can have fun in this game without that. In the long run, you can probably have more fun.

And while being able to be certain of winning all the time may be fun for you, it destroys fun for other people, far beyond the direct effects of defeating them in wars and destroying their realms.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chaotrance13

« Reply #124: April 06, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
And so, from this thread, we can learn one thing definitively:

Whether or not there is a clan that has taken over Fontan, the fact that there was a clan in Thulsoma, that took over Averoth, that shares some players with Fontan (and these facts are not, I believe, in dispute) has led to deep OOC bitterness and anger on all sides.

This, I think, is the worst danger of clans. The witch hunts. The recriminations. The belief, even years later, that your realm was destroyed unfairly by a clan you never had a chance against.

This is the sort of thing that can ruin a game's community. And this is why I appeal to those who did participate in the Saxon realms: Please, do not go around to any other realms en masse and take them over. You can have fun in this game without that. In the long run, you can probably have more fun.

And while being able to be certain of winning all the time may be fun for you, it destroys fun for other people, far beyond the direct effects of defeating them in wars and destroying their realms.

And this is what happens when you challenge their behaviour - they come out and they start directly insulting players with images, and denying it all ever happened. What next? They'll start putting out explicit pictures involving the names of characters or players? I'll get harassment for speaking to Tom in the first place?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125: April 06, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
We're done with this thread. Next time, let's try not to devolve into personal attacks. And this goes to *both* sides.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #126: April 07, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
A final word from me (cool, I can post to locked topics, never realized that before :-) ):

I do believe in light of this we actually do need an anti-clan policy. We've made our bad experiences, no need to repeat them. I'm not yet sure about the details, but the goal needs to be that no realm is ever controlled by any group of OOC friends, no matter if they call themselves clan, not-clan, classmates, family or whatever.

The best way to ensure that for most cases would be to get more players into the game so realms get larger again. But that's not something that is going to happen within the next few weeks.

Anyone who feels strongly about the issue could take a few hours to think about the topic and then open a topic in Development with a proposal.