Author Topic: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict  (Read 236864 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict
« Reply #75: April 09, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »
Well if Kabrinskia decides to TO regions and Terran TO's back and starts winning by a lot they could do the whole, "Get rid of Allison as ruler or we destroy the realm" thing for it to happen.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: April 09, 2012, 05:32:08 AM »
Well if Kabrinskia decides to TO regions and Terran TO's back and starts winning by a lot they could do the whole, "Get rid of Allison as ruler or we destroy the realm" thing for it to happen.

For that to start, someone has to pull the trigger. I don't know that that will happen. Sure, Allison is a loose cannon, but she's also very adept at gauging just how far she can go before truly Bad Things happen to her. If she ever messed up it was only once, when she seceded Aegir, but even then she managed to claw herself out of the abyss by setting off the war between Astrum and Caerwyn.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: April 09, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
For that to start, someone has to pull the trigger. I don't know that that will happen. Sure, Allison is a loose cannon, but she's also very adept at gauging just how far she can go before truly Bad Things happen to her. If she ever messed up it was only once, when she seceded Aegir, but even then she managed to claw herself out of the abyss by setting off the war between Astrum and Caerwyn.

Yup.

I see one of three results:
1. One of us slips up/decides to escalate and it becomes a full-on fight between Kabrinskia and allies and Terran and allies.
2. We fight back and forth, looting, then get some kind of brokered settlement
3. We fight back and forth, no settlement is reached, we drive the frontier area rogue, and it remains that way as we periodically march across the wastes to loot each other

Not gonna lie: I'm hoping for #3. The idea of a constantly contested, depopulated border wasteland where both sides are committed to hurting the either, but neither side is powerfully interested in actual conquest, sounds entertaining to me. I can just imagine the RP where young nobles of Terran cut their teeth by staging daring raids into Kabrinskia (and vice versa).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: April 09, 2012, 05:42:17 AM »
Ugh!  Kabrinskia started out well, but we suicided into Shokas walls in waves.  :-(
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: April 09, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »
i so want to chronicle this war for the history department but i have a hard time keeping in touch with you occidentalists. hmm, ill think of something.

and i apologize to those of the aurvandil-madina war. i wanted to do a project for you guys too but again, no sources = no history.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: April 09, 2012, 05:54:53 AM »
Ugh!  Kabrinskia started out well, but we suicided into Shokas walls in waves.  :-(

Yeah, not gonna lie... if you had broken Shoka... there would have been serious issues.

Though even if you'd broken through Shoka, you wouldn't have gotten farther (and we just called a tax), especially since Asylon arrived.

The defense of Shoka... saved Terran's skin.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: April 09, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »
i so want to chronicle this war for the history department but i have a hard time keeping in touch with you occidentalists. hmm, ill think of something.

You do have one fairly new DU Student who recently wrote a lengthy paper about Republics in the Maroccidens and just so happens to be Marshal and Sponsor Terran's one, large army that is fighting the war, and is also the Senator of Shoka. Does that count as a contact?  ;)

The defense of Shoka... saved Terran's skin.

!@#$ yeah Shoka.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #82: April 09, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
Alternatively, Astrum could stay out of it, since Kabrinskia just pillaged Terran's north without Terran ever taking an aggressive act or even making a threat against them. Terran's not going to conquer Kabrinskia (unless they try to TO us first); Astrum needn't worry about the survival of Kabrinskia. Just its dignity.

Well... except for declaring war. That's not aggressive at all... ^_^

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: April 09, 2012, 07:35:15 AM »
There's the concept of casus belli which states that even if X was the first who officially declared war, if Y gave a reason to spark aggression, then X is not considered the aggressor.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: April 09, 2012, 08:31:29 AM »
Oh come on Astrum we all know you are just itching to get into the conflict. Its fun playing on a limited battlefield, we could get a WWI trench war going in Terran with multiple kingdoms marching back and forth and fighting in that area, its like the Korean conflict, with all the big and small powers fighting over a small area without actually saying they are in the conflict. Think of it Asylon gets to be America and Astrum can be the Soviet union, Kabrinskia is North Korea and Terran is South Korea, Barca can be Canada and maybe you guys can find one more like Iashular to play an emerging China?  ;D

If only Iashalur had enough players for more than 1 per region, I would totally be up for that. :(
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: April 09, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
Well... except for declaring war. That's not aggressive at all... ^_^

There's the concept of casus belli which states that even if X was the first who officially declared war, if Y gave a reason to spark aggression, then X is not considered the aggressor.

Exactly. Casus Belli. Repeated and unapologetic treaty violations, public vulgar insults, attempt to start a war anyways (the infamous blood bribe), and attempts to sabotage alliances.

And, "declaring war" is not a universally identical concept. The war we declared precluded the possibility of ever invading Kabrinskia, unless Kabrinskia invaded us first.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: April 09, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
Even if I some how lose or at least lose bad enough to some how lose a region or have to abdicate the throne of Kabrinskia it was worth it.  Dwilight was boring and needed a good war!  I must say this is one of the most bizarre wars I have ever been involved in.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: April 09, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
Even if I some how lose or at least lose bad enough to some how lose a region or have to abdicate the throne of Kabrinskia it was worth it.  Dwilight was boring and needed a good war!  I must say this is one of the most bizarre wars I have ever been involved in.

Heh, yeah. It's interesting.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: April 09, 2012, 07:26:03 PM »
Now in war we are confronted with conditions which are strange.
If we accept them we will never win.
Since by being realistic, as in mundane combats fistic,
We will get a bloody nose and that's a sin.

To avoid such fell disaster, the result of fighting faster,
We resort to fighting carefully and slow.
We fill up terrestrial spaces with secure expensive bases
To keep our tax rate high and death rate low.

But with sadness and with sorrow we discover to our horror
That while we build, the enemy gets set.
So despite our fine intentions to produce extensive pensions
We haven't licked the dirty bastard yet.

For in war just as in loving, you must always keep on shoving
Or you'll never get your just reward.
For if you are dilatory in the search for lust and glory
You are up !@#$ creek and that's the truth, Oh! Lord.

So let us do real fighting, boring in and gouging, biting.
Let's take a chance now that we have the ball.
Let's forget those fine firm bases in the dreary shell raked spaces.
Let's shoot the works and win! Yes, win it all!

-George S Patton, Absolute War
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: April 09, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
Wars always start orderly like this... It will not last.
We live lives in beautiful lies...