Author Topic: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict  (Read 236942 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict
« Reply #300: April 20, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
I desperately hope you are leaving something out, and that the Zuma GM is not just going around offering to hop onboard wars.

Did you miss the part where Haktoo was annoyed with Hireshmont for trying to get the Zuma to do what he wanted?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #301: April 20, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
How did you manage to have the Zuma come and kill me? That's crazy...

Pretty sure the aegis is all the impetus they would require.

I'm enjoying the squabbling over who really controls the Zuma in the ruler channel, while ignoring the obvious possibility that the Zuma are a civilization with a sentient—clever, really—leader.  Why would they not pursue their own agenda?  And why, being so utterly inhuman, would we expect it to make sense?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:06:00 PM by Solari »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302: April 20, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
Pretty sure the aegis is all the impetus they would require.

Seeing as no one in Luria is conceivably aware of that, it would be very interesting for them to know.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #303: April 20, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
Seeing as no one in Luria is conceivably aware of that, it would be very interesting for them to know.

I don't know if you're aware, but when you wield a unique item, it shows up in the battle report.  When the battle is big enough, every realm gets it.  Everyone on Dwilight knows Brom Silverfire has the Zuma's aegis.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #304: April 20, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
I don't know if you're aware, but when you wield a unique item, it shows up in the battle report.  When the battle is big enough, every realm gets it.  Everyone on Dwilight knows Brom Silverfire has the Zuma's aegis.

Well that's not true. Everyone on Dwilight knows Brom Silverfire has Brom Silverfire's aegis, which just happens to have historic Zuma significance.

Let the fun begin. (Here's wondering if the Zuma will chase Brom with their army on the Kabrinskian-Terran border)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #305: April 20, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »
Well that's not true. Everyone on Dwilight knows Brom Silverfire has Brom Silverfire's aegis, which just happens to have historic Zuma significance.

Let the fun begin. (Here's wondering if the Zuma will chase Brom with their army on the Kabrinskian-Terran border)

And, again, you confuse "I found this" with "I own this."

It's the Aegis of the Zuma. As in, belonging to...the Zuma. Honestly, how stubborn and greedy do you have to be not to see that?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #306: April 20, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
And, again, you confuse "I found this" with "I own this."

It's the Aegis of the Zuma. As in, belonging to...the Zuma. Honestly, how stubborn and greedy do you have to be not to see that?

Okay, let me clarify something:

*I* as the player understand the difference.

Brom Silverfire does not. Is that reasonable enough?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #307: April 20, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
Did you miss the part where Haktoo was annoyed with Hireshmont for trying to get the Zuma to do what he wanted?

Again, I don't really buy it. It's possible we have a Terrence 2.0 situation where the Haktoo chats with everyone except the people alleged to have said or done something, but I don't think so.

Hireshmont hasn't communicated with Haktoo in over 20 days. The sum of the communication he has received from Haktoo in the last 30 days is:
Roleplay from Haktoo   (25 days ago)
A single female Zuma comes to you and speaks, "Haktoo thanks you for your information. The one known as Allison has just arrived in our lands to talk, so this will be getting questioned as, if it is as you say, and as it appears, that is not acceptable."

Maybe from that I'm supposed to derive, "Haktoo is deeply upset with Hireshmont and will take the next opportunity to support an enemy of Terran because of a personal vendetta against Hireshmont." Not sure how, but maybe.

Again, I'm not saying Haktoo doesn't have some kind of reasoning. And I'm not saying I expect to know it. I'm just saying I don't buy the reasoning as presented here in this thread. If it really is that... I'm disappointed in the Zuma GM, because it's the same thing all over again: zero communication, no warning or evident provocation, massive army attacking Terran, chilling effect, long delay until anything fun happens again. But I don't think that's what's going on here.

I'm enjoying the squabbling over who really controls the Zuma in the ruler channel, while ignoring the obvious possibility that the Zuma are a civilization with a sentient—clever, really—leader.  Why would they not pursue their own agenda?

I'm assuming they are pursuing their agenda, or at least Hireshmont is. Hence the characterization of Allison as a Zuma lackey, and not vice versa.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #308: April 20, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »

Didn't you read the label on the back saying "Made in Nightmarch"?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309: April 20, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
Actually, it just has a name "Aegis of the Zuma". That no more makes it property of the Zuma than the name "Shield of Libiddo" means that the Shield belongs to Libiddo. Or that Ucdauh's Spear belongs to someone named Ucdauh? (sp?)

How is Brom to know that the Zuma stake a claim to every item that bears the name "of the Zuma"? If Brance got his hands on one of those, he would not instantly assume that the Zuma own it, and that he should give it back to them. If the Zuma want to claim that is the case, then the Zuma need to make that info public. Which, so far as I know, they have not.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #310: April 20, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »

Designed by Haktoo in Nightmarch.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #311: April 20, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
Actually, it just has a name "Aegis of the Zuma". That no more makes it property of the Zuma than the name "Shield of Libiddo" means that the Shield belongs to Libiddo. Or that Ucdauh's Spear belongs to someone named Ucdauh? (sp?)

How is Brom to know that the Zuma stake a claim to every item that bears the name "of the Zuma"? If Brance got his hands on one of those, he would not instantly assume that the Zuma own it, and that he should give it back to them. If the Zuma want to claim that is the case, then the Zuma need to make that info public. Which, so far as I know, they have not.

All true.  Though, Brom definitely does know that the Zuma are seeking the items.  Several people do.  Brom knows because he—according to Garret (I know, right)—was offering to collect them in exchange for salvation.  Really, anyone who interacted with Garret would probably have learned that the Zuma were desperately seeking their preciouses.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:23:33 PM by Solari »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #312: April 20, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »

Pretty sure Brom didn't see it until it was re-inscribed with: "All Hail Prince Brom Silverfire, Serpent of Luria, and King of Dwilight"

On the other hand, I agree with Indirik on this one. The Zuma haven't stated any public claim to all items of their name, other than their generic claim to all unique items in general from what I've seen.

Edit:

All true.  Though, Brom definitely does know that the Zuma are seeking the items.  Several people do.  Brom knows because he—according to Garret (I know, right)—was offering to collect them in exchange for salvation.

I *Knew* you were lying about that. Haktoo didn't tell you a thing. Nice fabricated letter though. (Also: Salvation of Pian, and Destruction of Solaria are two different things.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:23:36 PM by Dante Silverfire »

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #313: April 20, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
I *Knew* you were lying about that. Haktoo didn't tell you a thing. Nice fabricated letter though. (Also: Salvation of Pian, and Destruction of Solaria are two different things.)

Of course not.  That doesn't make the letter a forgery.  It means that it came from the only person that could speak for (and to) Haktoo.  Haktoo can't communicate directly with player characters through letters.  That's why she has an ambassador, or you have to send emissaries.  Or, if you're especially bold like Allison, you wander down there for palavers.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314: April 20, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »

In this case, you were attributing the knowledge of the ownership of the Aegis not to Brom, but to "Everyone on Dwilight".
Timothy Collett