Author Topic: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict  (Read 237152 times)

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
Re: The Terran-Kabrinskian Conflict
« Reply #705: May 08, 2012, 05:51:15 PM »
It doesnt matter who started it.  We were about to declare war anyway.  The only thing that matters is who wins....

Shhhhhh

I am having fun
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #706: May 08, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
And what harm was being done by traders entering Terran lands to trade? Oh and a priest headed to Zuma lands to speak to Haktoo.

It broke the treaty.

What Treaty?

The Demyansk Accord

The treaty that said the borders were closed unless specific permission was given by either nation for the other nation's nobles to pass through.

Look, just because your character doesn't realize Allison is scheming and manipulative and only tells your realms biased info, doesn't mean you the player has to believe that, too.

And yes, it was an actual in-game treaty too. It was replaced by the "Terran Reiteration of Sovereignty" when Kabrinskia started sending nobles in to purposefully violate the Demyansk Accord.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #707: May 08, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
It doesnt matter who started it.  We were about to declare war anyway.  The only thing that matters is who wins....

This is something that has baffled me frequently. So many people seem to feel, OOC, that it's VITALLY IMPORTANT that their realm not be seen as the aggressor, in any war, ever.

The important thing is, as you say, not who starts the war, but who finishes it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #708: May 08, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »
It broke the treaty.

The Demyansk Accord

The treaty that said the borders were closed unless specific permission was given by either nation for the other nation's nobles to pass through.

Look, just because your character doesn't realize Allison is scheming and manipulative and only tells your realms biased info, doesn't mean you the player has to believe that, too.

And yes, it was an actual in-game treaty too. It was replaced by the "Terran Reiteration of Sovereignty" when Kabrinskia started sending nobles in to purposefully violate the Demyansk Accord.

isn't that an accord or declaration of closed borders, not a treaty. 

OK, Kabrinskia violated the closed border and that is a valid reason to declare war. but we did not break a treaty.... sorry but it is a point of honor.
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #709: May 08, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
isn't that an accord or declaration of closed borders, not a treaty. 

OK, Kabrinskia violated the closed border and that is a valid reason to declare war. but we did not break a treaty.... sorry but it is a point of honor.

Dude, c'mon. The guy playing Allison just got on basically said he provoked it.

From Merriam-Webster's "Accord: noun: a formal reaching of agreement; a compact, treaty"

Yes, when two nations sign an agreement between them it is a treaty.

Kabrinskia broke it. Purposefully. Many times.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #710: May 08, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »

From Merriam-Webster's "Accord: noun: a formal reaching of agreement; a compact, treaty"

I was not under the impression that Kabrinskia ever signed the treaty.  I may be wrong if I am I am sorry.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #711: May 08, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
This is something that has baffled me frequently. So many people seem to feel, OOC, that it's VITALLY IMPORTANT that their realm not be seen as the aggressor, in any war, ever.

The important thing is, as you say, not who starts the war, but who finishes it.

It matters in the political arena. It can help you gain allies to your cause or to dissuade others from joining your enemies if you can paint yourself as the innocent victim and your enemy as the greedy aggressor/bully.

As to why it matters here, in this OOC forum? I have no clue, except to say that sometimes players get caught up in the passions of their characters. I know I do from time to time.  :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712: May 08, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Wasn't there a treaty signed by both realms that declared the non-travel restrictions?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #713: May 08, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

I thought that trader had permission from Terran's banker to travel through Terran? The priest did not, as far as I know.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #714: May 08, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
I thought that trader had permission from Terran's banker to travel through Terran? The priest did not, as far as I know.
That is what I understood.

Wasn't there a treaty signed by both realms that declared the non-travel restrictions?

Not that I know of.  but I am not a diplomat, I could be wrong.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #715: May 08, 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
It matters in the political arena. It can help you gain allies to your cause or to dissuade others from joining your enemies if you can paint yourself as the innocent victim and your enemy as the greedy aggressor/bully.

As to why it matters here, in this OOC forum? I have no clue, except to say that sometimes players get caught up in the passions of their characters. I know I do from time to time.  :)

Players have a difficult time separating OOC from IC on these forums.  That makes these forums just as important for in game staging as messages sent through the game....if not more important since the forum messages reach a wider audience. 
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #716: May 08, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
I was not under the impression that Kabrinskia ever signed the treaty.  I may be wrong if I am I am sorry.

*sigh* .... yes. Yes, she signed it.

Depends which trader your talking about. The first had permission to meet the Terran banker in Faithill. Which he did. And then continued deeper into Terran, was asked to leave, didn't for a while, then left. The second trader just went strolling willy nilly and unannounced all the way down to Vashgew/Saffalore area and refused to respond to requests for him to leave. THEN the priest came through.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #717: May 08, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
Players have a difficult time separating OOC from IC on these forums.  That makes these forums just as important for in game staging as messages sent through the game....if not more important since the forum messages reach a wider audience.

This is very true. The forums shape a lot of people's IC views of whole realms, people, or conflicts.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #718: May 08, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
*sigh* .... yes. Yes, she signed it.

Then you have my most humble apologies.  That is news to me. I would never have signed it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #719: May 08, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
This cold war is about to get hot.
We live lives in beautiful lies...