Author Topic: Magistrates becoming permanent?  (Read 4887 times)

Chaotrance13

Magistrates becoming permanent?
« Topic Start: April 07, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
Here's a question guys - the Magistrate system has been regarded as a "testing" system for some time, and still is to my knowledge. With the changes to Stable coming up in the next few weeks, do you think we will see it become a permanent fixture in the Stable islands as well? I'm just interested because I was re-reading the old cases and saw that one where the Magistrates adjudicated a dispute on FEI, with the initial report being made on Dwilight.

egamma

Re: Magistrates becoming permanent?
« Reply #1: April 07, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
I like the Magistrate system.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: April 07, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
I don't recall any major complaints, so it seems the system is ok.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
It hasn't dealt with an enormous quantity of cases either, though.

I might be biased, but I still hold a favorable view on the system.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 07, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
I agree that for most things, the Magistrates should be fine.

I do think that multi-accounting investigations, though, should be handled by Titans/devs.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »

I do think that multi-accounting investigations, though, should be handled by Titans/devs.

Yes, because that requires investigation powers, which the titans have and the magistrates lack. As it should be.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »

Really any allegations of outright cheating that would require investigation to prove one way or another. The Magistrates can handle the rest of the rules and IRs. Potentially also SMA violations, though I'm a little wary of that... It gets into fairly subjective territory.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
Well, yes, SMA is subjective. But shouldn't that kind of thing be up to the community to police? Within certain guidelines established by Tom, it's up to the players to make of SMA what they can. SMA also, so far as I can tell, shouldn't require any investigative powers either.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: April 07, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
The Magistrates should be the place where ALL complaints go to. For cheating they may need help from the Dev Team to establish the facts, but I'd rather have one set of rules, one set of judges and one place to watch.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 07, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
Well, so long as we're provided with the evidence I suppose I see no reason why we can't judge those cases as well. There are devs among the Magistrates, so I presume that in the event that such assistance was necessary, they would provide whatever we need, or ask one of the other devs (or Tom) to do so.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 09, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
The Magistrates should be the place where ALL complaints go to. For cheating they may need help from the Dev Team to establish the facts, but I'd rather have one set of rules, one set of judges and one place to watch.

We just need a simple mechanism for kicking a complaint up to the Titans.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 09, 2012, 02:39:29 AM »
Off-topic but doesn't deserve its own thread really-Velax applied to the Magistrates which hasn't been answered yet and I am wondering if applying is still open now that Velax has applied so it can be known so others aren't applying with 0 chance of becoming one?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: April 09, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Can't answer that. I'd need to make a role-call to see how many magistrates we still have active.