Author Topic: returning after deleting accounts  (Read 9721 times)

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
returning after deleting accounts
« Topic Start: April 07, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Fontan is having a serious debate ooc and IC right now concerning people whose accounts were deleted and then restarting with their old characters.

Is this acceptable?

Fontan has long allowed such things as the players wish to start off where they left off.  Should we allow this or put a stop to it?
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: returning after deleting accounts
« Reply #1: April 07, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
It is acceptable. I've done it myself. Bumped a few rocks on the road of proving that this really is the same family, but in general people accepted it without a complaint.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 07, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Ah you mean, recreating the same *characters*. Dunno how that is viewed, but I am not sure how you could rp your old geezer when the game says he's 25.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
People have been doing it as long as I've played the game. Personally, I've always frowned upon taking that road. If your family was deleted then you should just be honest and start a new one from scratch, not try to ride on the fame of the old account. The game displays you as a new one so you should go along with that. Your character ages won't match etc.

There's just  a whole lot the game says that gos against starting a new family and playing it as an old one.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #4: April 07, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
I did it and it was accepted about 2 years ago.

but I created a good RP explaining what happened to my character.

He was murdered but a body was never found and he lost his memory and lived as a peasant for a time till his memory returned... that kind of thing.

Now we have a well known character that has returned as a new noble portraying his old character, most of the realm accepts him back with open arms but a couple players say that this is not possible. and are complaining that he was given position as Vice marshal straight away.
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
Now we have a well known character that has returned as a new noble portraying his old character, most of the realm accepts him back with open arms but a couple players say that this is not possible. and are complaining that he was given position as Vice marshal straight away.

Myah, that's the problem with doing it. People tend to use it to snatch back old positions and then the new guys are left out. That's why I think it's wrong and should not be accepted.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »
This is, and always has been, something that has to be handled more-or-less IC, by the players involved. And a lot depends on the specifics of the case: I've seen people create new accounts, with completely different family and character names, and then claim to be the previous character. Not the reincarnation, a relative or anything, but the same character.

That's not reasonable.

Re-creating an account with the same family name, and the same character name, and claiming to be the same character, can work. It works best if the character on the old account was not old, and did not have large amounts of honour and prestige, because the new one obviously will not.

Re-creating an old character on the same account he was originally on is a similar issue to the above.

Re-creating an account with the same family name, but new characters, shouldn't cause any problem, in my view.

But the bottom line is: No player or character is required to accept this. Nor are they required to reject it. Even if some members of the realm accept it, others are free to declare that the returned player's characters are insane or impostors, and maintain this belief.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
Ah you mean, recreating the same *characters*. Dunno how that is viewed, but I am not sure how you could rp your old geezer when the game says he's 25.

I always found that pretty lame, saw some influential fifty/sixty year old characters deleted and recreated later on, with the same name and body of 17 year old. I was new to the game then, and it pissed me off immensely that that character basically just rebooted and was treated the same way, given back all his titles, etc... So much for turnover in realms.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 07, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
People have the right to accept or decline his role play. For example, when one of my characters ran for the Pontifex of Ibladesh he was assaulted by the other throne pretender with claims that he isn't really of Arrakis family, and that this guys who is running is just a phony. I was a bit pissed for that, however, he did IC, fairly and in the end it gave me some very interesting experience. Of course, he got utterly defeated and I won the elections since the majority of players accepted my role play.  :)

As far as I am concerned as long as these accusations are handled IC, it is good. Although personally I'd have a real hard time believing that legendary character returning as a beardless boy and would probably object that. However, you can always say he was reincarnated. -chuckle-

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 07, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »
Recently, I rejoined the game and formed my family with the same name as my last account. Personally, I don't really like to see my family's history lost and I'd prefer to continue my family name, despite it losing all its fame and prestige. I've created new characters, who despite having the same names as some of my previous characters, are in now way affiliated to them other than being related and having passing acquaintance. After all, names were frequently reused, and if I want to create all my character's named "Steve", what's wrong with that? Unless of course, they are all poorly roleplayed as being identical in every way.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #10: April 07, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
I always found that pretty lame, saw some influential fifty/sixty year old characters deleted and recreated later on, with the same name and body of 17 year old. I was new to the game then, and it pissed me off immensely that that character basically just rebooted and was treated the same way, given back all his titles, etc... So much for turnover in realms.

You bring up a valid point.... When I recreated my characters I made the old and not young for just that reason.. there was only a few years difference in the character ages and he lost all titles and had to earn everything back from scratch... I too am against "rebooting" your characters just to get a younger version....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:55:07 PM by katayanna »

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 07, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
I brought back my family not too long ago. I think it should be handled with the utmost care. I personally enjoy rping so I rped my way. However, I did not go the same realm I grew up in I actually preferred to fight against them. Seeing it from a different perspective opens one eyes. Sure some people knew my character's family name others did not.

Never recreate character names granted I did one but I forgot to put the II on his name to distinguish him. Still working on getting that changed... granted some of them share the same alcoholic tendencies. I have played them of as children or relatives of the fromer 3 brothers I created.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #12: April 07, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
I would like to get Tom's take on it as he sets the rules.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 07, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
I resurrected my family when I returned to the game because I hadn't finished with their tale. I've never felt bad about resurrecting the three sisters Dubhaine and their prophet brother, nor has it bothered me that events have seemed to naturally cluster about them: it's just who they are. To the best of my knowledge this return hasn't detracted from anyone else's fun.

Indeed the Colonies might be that much duller if the rightful Duke of Alowca hadn't returned from exile to become ruler of Minas Thalion :)

The case currently under discussion in Fontan has mostly caused waves because the character who's returned was swiftly appointed vice-marshal of an army by one of my characters who knew him well. If that sucks for people who've joined the realm in the period since the other player deleted his account then I'm sorry, but OOC grievance has no place IC and IC there is no better candidate for the job as has been made very clear to the critics. It's also the only way I can think of IC to counteract a general who insists on bypassing the realm's Marshals, a problem which has lead to at least two acrimonious threads here on the forum regarding Clans and who is or isn't a member of one.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: April 07, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Tim pretty much said it: We don't have official rules on this. Basically, if someone does this in a way that you find acceptable, then go with it. If he's trying to pull a cheap trick, don't accept it.