Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 123299 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It might be helpful to have a separate thread for side discussions. Otherwise, the Official Game thread will get hard to follow.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Perth, I realized the Army and the Navy levels are missing as well. One can have a huge army, like Korea, but if they are armed only with swords they are really not worth that much. Same with Ironclads against Wooden Vessels, or Junks.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Hmmm, I can't help but feel Prussia and the US are too strong compared to UK and France.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Hmmm, I can't help but feel Prussia and the US are too strong compared to UK and France.

The result of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 shows how historically accurate this is.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
In the interest of fun, let's use the forum unless you really feel the need to keep it secrete for some reason.

Do we use the BM RP rules, i.e. do not directly reply to letters not adressed to you, but assume you may have heard of it through diplomatic channels?

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I do like to make a lot of it public, but yet I prefer keeping exact diplomatic details and dealing with only the player of the country being dealt with.

And Austria with 250 million troops  :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:39:05 PM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Request: When you post in the main game thread, can you preface your post with the country you are playing? Something like: "[CSA] The Union sucks eggs!" or whatever...

I suspect that it would be *very* helpful for everyone who, like me, can't keep this stuff straight, but who is too embarrassed to admit it.  :-[
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
How do we do trade?

Suppose, for example, nation A wants to buy weapons from nation B for its war effort. Should we say "I will buy 5% of your nation's industrial production against 125 gold units" and the GM will shuffle the numebrs accordingly in the update? Or should we fluff it out and say "I will buy 1'500 Gatling guns for a price of 2'000$ each" and let the GM translate it in abstract numbers? Or should we simply issue an order saying "Sign an deal to supply arms to nation B" and let the GM handle the consequences?

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
In the other WiR, we do the following :
Private stuff are like letters, so we use PMs

Trade : A treaty is signed, like any other treaty it takes up a order. Usually just a deal to supply weapons or such is enough, but it is possible to buy ships and such.
Trade Agreements are treaties as well.

As to not knowing who is posting...we use colours according to our nation, IE Italy In-Character posts are in green. While the ones from the USA are a certain blue. We also put the (historical) flags on our posts, or at least the most important posts, a basic example :

The kingdom of Italy agrees with their allies position on the American Civil War, the CSA have the right to secede and should have been allowed to do so peacefully.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
1) That flag is huge. Get a dozen of those on a page, and it's going to be a lot of annoying, in-your-face pictures that I just have to scroll past.
2) Not being a history buff, I have no idea who's flag that is.
3) When reading the posts from my phone using the WAP2 mode of the forums, all images and colors are stripped from the posts, so I can't see either of the indicators you're using.

Yes, I know that those are, perhaps, my problem and not yours. But a simple [Italy] at the start of your post would remove the need for huge images, colored text, memorization of historical flags of foreign countries, and still let those of us using mobile browsing through in WAP2 mode know what country is posting. You can still use whatever colors/images you want, but a simple text tag seems pretty simple, and non-onerous.

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
Maybe that tag is not needed if people include their country's name or a "signature" at the end of the post, or something at the beginning of the post like :
"Italian Communiqué"

I don't knwo about the flag, on the other WiR game i've seen bigger, but that can be worked around, it was more of an example post.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:46:04 PM by Duke of Britain »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
A signature would be great. One or the other, or both. Just something that indicates the name of who is posting it. I suppose that I will eventually learn who people are. But until then, memory joggers are great.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
It might be helpful to have a separate thread for side discussions. Otherwise, the Official Game thread will get hard to follow.

Feel free to use this one.

Perth, I realized the Army and the Navy levels are missing as well. One can have a huge army, like Korea, but if they are armed only with swords they are really not worth that much. Same with Ironclads against Wooden Vessels, or Junks.

I figured I will just keep these things in mind when giving the updates about the battles and such. If Britain invades Korea, for instance, it will take a lot more for Korea to come out on top. Otherwise, I would need to implement even more stats. The ones I have for now are plenty work for the time being, lol.

Request: When you post in the main game thread, can you preface your post with the country you are playing? Something like: "[CSA] The Union sucks eggs!" or whatever...

I suspect that it would be *very* helpful for everyone who, like me, can't keep this stuff straight, but who is too embarrassed to admit it.  :-[

I think this is the best and most efficient option. I don't see the need for a huge IMG in every little post. For a large RP or some important event, sure. But not for a two sentence reply or something.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
I figured I will just keep these things in mind when giving the updates about the battles and such. If Britain invades Korea, for instance, it will take a lot more for Korea to come out on top. Otherwise, I would need to implement even more stats. The ones I have for now are plenty work for the time being, lol.

Yes, but these stats are already fleshed out, you can ask Frymonmon for them. This is what he posted in the other thread about them, for example:

1-3: Wooden Sailing Ships
4-6: Wooden Steam Ships
7-10: Early Ironclads
11-16: Ironclads
17 -20: Advanced Ironclads
21-26: Early Cruisers
27-30: Cruisers
31-36: Early Dreadnoughts
37-45: Dreadnoughts
46-50: Early Battleships
51-60: Battleships
60-70: Aircraft Carriers
70-100: Modern Navies
100+: TBD
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Yes, but these stats are already fleshed out, you can ask Frymonmon for them. This is what he posted in the other thread about them, for example:

Nice. I didn't see that.

How do they use over there to determine when you get to move up?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)