Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 121570 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Hmm... I would say one TREATY per order. If are signing it with multiple nations (for instance a multinational alliance) I think that should be fine. But not multiple treaties in one order, I don't think. Does that sound fair?

So to sign a treaty nation A needs an order of the type

"Sign a trade agreement to supply arms to nation B"

and nation B sends an order of the type

"Sign a trade agreement to buy weapons from nation A"

and you handle the rest?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
So to sign a treaty nation A needs an order of the type

"Sign a trade agreement to supply arms to nation B"

and nation B sends an order of the type

"Sign a trade agreement to buy weapons from nation A"

and you handle the rest?

Yes that sounds right.

The actual effects of the treaty may vary, but yes.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
As for treaties, how about something like that example :

Treaty of French-Italian Friendship
- By the signing of this treaty, both countries agree to reduce tariffs between themselves, encouraging trade.
[ ] King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy
[ ] Emperor Napoleon III of France

That kind of treaty could either be posted in the thread or sent by PM, when both have signed the treaty they just include it in their orders.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Could nations not at war use some of their war-orders for peaceful actions? I don't see how a nation at war can do MORE - real life seems to scream the opposite is true, with the war effort taking up resources that could be used elsewhere.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I have a question: Is all correspondence in the game topic public? I.e. do I need to send private letters through PM?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:36:02 PM by Sacha »

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
Could nations not at war use some of their war-orders for peaceful actions? I don't see how a nation at war can do MORE - real life seems to scream the opposite is true, with the war effort taking up resources that could be used elsewhere.

Well, on the original WiR the war-orders were used only for war-related issues, like movimentation of the armies and navies, propaganda, etc....

I have a question: Is all correspondence in the game topic public? I.e. do I need to send private letters through PM?

No, it's like : PMs = Letters

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Well, on the original WiR the war-orders were used only for war-related issues, like movimentation of the armies and navies, propaganda, etc....

But, can a nation not at "war" per-say utilize "war orders" to move their military around and make military maneuvers? Even if they don't make an official declaration of war, I'd think such a system could still work.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
If you don't want people knowing the business of the letter then don't post it, send a PM.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
One more question: At which point do I have to issue orders and what are things that simply happen without?

An example are the exchanges of ambassadors I'm proposing to everyone. If I need an order for ever delegation, it'll be 1862 before I can do anything else. :-)

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
But, can a nation not at "war" per-say utilize "war orders" to move their military around and make military maneuvers? Even if they don't make an official declaration of war, I'd think such a system could still work.

Well, AFAIK that isn't needed, at the start of the war you juts "deploy" your current troops, and as you get more you "deploy" them as well. Tough i could see something related to movimentation of troops working and adding to the game...maybe the GM will want to change that if he doesn't likes the old system

One more question: At which point do I have to issue orders and what are things that simply happen without?

An example are the exchanges of ambassadors I'm proposing to everyone. If I need an order for ever delegation, it'll be 1862 before I can do anything else. :-)

I must say, that isn't needed at all, you either already have embassies or don't need to. Recognitions don't take up a order as well...unless you want to do something else other than recognize...
Having recognitions and such take up an order wouldn't be worth it...

As for sending orders, just send them within the deadline...

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

I would say (although have no say in the matter) that ambassador exchanges or diplomat exchanges don't need any orders. But other official actions would. Someone more experienced should correct me though.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well, AFAIK that isn't needed, at the start of the war you juts "deploy" your current troops, and as you get more you "deploy" them as well. Tough i could see something related to movimentation of troops working and adding to the game...maybe the GM will want to change that if he doesn't likes the old system

What I mean is, the UK has a huge fleet, and a large army as well. But, you can't necessarily just expect their entire fleet/army to be readily available all on Australia or some such when they control an entire world naval empire. There may be some reason for the UK to focus parts of their fleet in certain areas but I believe it wouldn't be wrong to perhaps have a "war order" stating, to station a certain amount of troops in a particular region, or to move their fleet to shore up the defenses of an area.

At least that's what I'd perceive. I mean if an empire with an army of 500k, always had 500k on whatever border they were fighting on they would be much stronger than an empire who had to spread that 500k across multiple fronts at once.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Ok:

1) No, you don't need to utilize your orders for sending diplomats, etc. Since those kinds of things don't have many physical effects on your nation, just take care of it in the Game Thread with RP, etc. In fact, most diplomacy should be handled this war. Implementing a new treaty is about the only thing that needs an order diplomacy-wise and that only when it has been signed by all parties.

2) I think I will definitely allow the use of War Orders for troop movements strictly. Because in this version of the game I have provided everyone, especially the large empires, of more details of where there troops are roughly located then yes you can use war orders to shift them around. However, you cannot use them for general things.

That goes for countries at war too. War Orders are meant for troop movements and perhaps building troops, that's about it.

I think that is reasonable, yes? No?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Ok:

1) No, you don't need to utilize your orders for sending diplomats, etc. Since those kinds of things don't have many physical effects on your nation, just take care of it in the Game Thread with RP, etc. In fact, most diplomacy should be handled this war. Implementing a new treaty is about the only thing that needs an order diplomacy-wise and that only when it has been signed by all parties.

2) I think I will definitely allow the use of War Orders for troop movements strictly. Because in this version of the game I have provided everyone, especially the large empires, of more details of where there troops are roughly located then yes you can use war orders to shift them around. However, you cannot use them for general things.

That goes for countries at war too. War Orders are meant for troop movements and perhaps building troops, that's about it.

I think that is reasonable, yes? No?

I personally would say that's reasonable.

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
Yes it is.

But i suggest that building regulars should be possible for only regular orders (this doesn't includes conscription ofc), as even in peace-time a country would recruit more regulars for its army, same goes to both kinds of ships, being built using regular orders.
As for conscripts, conscription programs and such would be of course only possible during wars.