Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 123207 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Feel free to be detailed, I actually enjoyed the style of those orders, but if you write me a freaking book keep in mind that I have to read 20 of these things, write the update for all of them, and then crunch the corresponding numbers. I do have a good amount of free time for now, but maybe not that much.

Basically, I've now changed my style to add some more explanations and reasons to the orders, which should make it easier to resolve them.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
When are orders officially due?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Every Friday. I don't know if there is a specific hour that has been set.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Every Friday. I don't know if there is a specific hour that has been set.

Or time zone?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Would it not be better if orders were due Thursday, so Perth actually had time to process them and produce the update? Or will we be submitting orders on Friday and getting the update by like Sunday or something?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
Orders deadline are Friday, you can send them before it...but if you don't send them till Friday...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Deadline is Friday.

Try to have them in by Friday at 3 or 4 pm at the latest (though the earlier the better) which will give me time time write updates.

Also, I'm GMT -5 timezone. (Central Time)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Do war declarations have to be in one of the orders? Or can we just make a proclamation of war and not have to put it in the orders?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Do war declarations have to be in one of the orders? Or can we just make a proclamation of war and not have to put it in the orders?

Just do it in the game thread.

Unless you don't want anyone to know and have it incorporated into my update; or you want it to be a surprise attack, ie. your order would be for the troops storming across the border.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Wow. Just wow.

Russian Empire
ValueOldNew
Income24570
Infrastructure42
Industry34
Army900,000300,000
Small ships3525

It was military expenditure that dominated Russia’s state finances. During the eighteenth century, the army and navy consistently accounted for more than half of the Russian state’s spending and, at times, more than 60 per cent of the budget was devoted to military Expenditure- in 1861, 90 million roubles!

In the early 1850s, the Russian army consisted of around 938,731 regular soldiers and 245,850 irregulars. Russia had so large a standing army, that it took more than half of their annual budget to pay for it. And they were also afraid to disband it, for the massive demand generated by their army propped up their economy.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to reduce both Russia's income (1/4 of what it was originally!!) and the army (1/3!! of what it was). If the game wasn't aiming for realism, and for balance (which it isn't even now), we should have been told from the start. Not 2 days before turn change, after people have been drafting their orders for days, for 600,000 troops who have suddenly vanished. Now it's basically a kick in the crotch, for Russia, and quite likely the Qing and the Japanese (hadn't saved their earlier values).

Pardon my french, but frankly this change really pisses me off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:47:15 PM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Jacob L

• Freeman
    • View Profile
The income is I believe not a base number, it is the end result of various factors and after paying for the army.  You will notice spain took a similar big drop and that is a result of similar reasons for both nations.  My army and navy is bigger than they should be given my financial assets...so I have to adjust in some manner.  Russia can do so by cleaning up the little npc states around them, some troops might die and a bit of tax base added.  I hope to do so as well with a little colonial fun or by simply selling/disbanding ships if it truly comes to it and be reforming the army size down if it truly comes to it. 

Some nations are over/under built militarily and will need to decide what their priorities are for the next 5 game years and adjust as a result.  Remember, if you spend your starting bank solely on development for 2-3 turns your income will rise a lot since your military wont be expanding.  And don't worry about the army size, you could defend against/beat any single nation you can fight atm imply by screaming mobilize and getting 500k conscripts instantly.
Spain in WiR 1861

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Is there some guide about how much it costs to pay your troops, or build stuff, etc? Say I have a Bank of 50, and 500,000 troops. Those numbers are, to me, unitless and completely meaningless. How many Large ships can I build with a Bank of 50? What about a shipyard, how much do they cost? This first set of orders for me is just going to be one massive guess.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I am curious as to what sort of changes were involved underneath.

Japan's military dropped by a factor of 8, from 800,000 troops to 100,000 troops. I'd already decided upon troop dedications of 500,000 troops. With the severe cutting of my resources, I'll have to change my plans dramatically over the course of the next two days. Done solely on my own, that would be fine, but seeing as Japan has done things like promise "200,000" troops to potential allies, its kind of difficult to see how I could possibly pull that off now.

I'm fine adjusting to a change like this, but I fail to see why such an extreme reduction of military strength (cutting my military to 12.5% of its original) without providing some other benefit in either naval size or otherwise places me at a reasonable level.

Just some initial thoughts.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The income is I believe not a base number, it is the end result of various factors and after paying for the army.

Absolutely- so if my army size is reduced, it means I'm paying less for military. So my net income should rise as there is less expense. Here what has happened is that my net income has been reduced to a fourth, and so has my army.

Keldonia

• Freeman
  • KeldoniaSkylar
    • View Profile
Perth, I think the base income is off or might be missing for many of these nations, which is what is causing the problem.  For example Prussia should have a slightly smaller income than Austria but most it's income is industrial while Austria's is rural. PM sent.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:58:52 PM by Keldonia »