Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 121740 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
But not 200,000 man transports, lol.

I'm trying to think of precedents for naval invasions. Nothing's really coming to mind.... but that's telling. This would have been the largest transoceanic movement of troops... in history.

The Opium Wars, for example, had only about 20,000 British troops. The entire British (non-Indian) garrison of India was only about 60,000 soldiers. Moving 200,000 soldiers across an ocean like that at those tech levels is at the minimum ultra-expensive, but might be impossible.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile

I'm trying to think of precedents for naval invasions. Nothing's really coming to mind.... but that's telling. This would have been the largest transoceanic movement of troops... in history.

The Opium Wars, for example, had only about 20,000 British troops. The entire British (non-Indian) garrison of India was only about 60,000 soldiers. Moving 200,000 soldiers across an ocean like that at those tech levels is at the minimum ultra-expensive, but might be impossible.

Never claimed that any such movement of troops would all occur at once, or in a short time frame. Multiple trips would need to be taken, and it would be a large naval endeavor of course.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

It depends on the conditions of transport, and the rush of the transporters. They can be delivered in several trips, like with civilian migrants. They won't arrive together, ready to fight, and it will take some time, but it can be done.

The true problems lay in the impacts for the stability of Japan and for the West of the USA's economy. It would also be somewhat expensive if they arrive in large groups, as that region should not produce enough to cater for their needs, albeit minimal.

It can be done, but it would be better done in small waves, correctly equipping and training the troops in the West Coast before sending them to battle. Otherwise they will be of very little use, and die like flies, if not outright causing mass starvation and unrest in the region.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
hush, just let it happen  ;D

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I have received several questions about number of orders. To clarify:

- You get TWO "Treaty Orders" to sign and enact treaties.

- You get FOUR "General Orders" encompassing big/regular actions across your nation.

- You get FOUR "War Orders" encompassing military actions, troop movements, etc.

The 2 treaty rule was recommended by the Paradox guys, it is the rule they use over there (also it is to control the massive amount of treaty signings that went on and that I received) ;) While the others are standard from the beginning.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
My friend, who is going under the name of kyrenide, is going to play as a Govorner-General of india. We'll see how long he stays. However, I'm still going to provide the orders regarding United Kingdom, but as far as I am concern he will be running India. Which means whatever orders he wants, I'll post them to Perth.

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
I hope this doesn't means the UK effectively gaining 4 extra orders to be used exclusively on India, i think that guy should get one of the UK player orders to use if we are going to do it like this.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
No, we are dividing the United Kingdom's orders between us. Or at least using 1 normal order and 1 war order for India.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:40:43 AM by Adriddae »

Duke of Britain

• Knight
    • View Profile
Well, then i suppose there are will be no problems with that
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:21:50 AM by Duke of Britain »

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Lefanis: Vladivostok is only an outpost, with a handful of men. Right now your centers of population in the far east are Nikolayevsk-on-Amur and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Lefanis: Vladivostok is only an outpost, with a handful of men. Right now your centers of population in the far east are Nikolayevsk-on-Amur and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.

Think of the investment multiplication if the Swiss set up shop there! Hotels, schools, factories, industries will suddenly spring up.  :P

Besides, the orders I sent last turn and this turn ought to speed up the growth.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
California's total population in 1860: 379,000 people.
Japanese army: 200,000 males
Russian sailors: at least a few hundred/thousand

So we're going to take a state, and add 50% to its population... composed entirely of militarized males?

No, that's not a demographic catastrophe waiting to happen.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
To be fairly honest Japan did not have properly an army at this time, but a feudal system in which that large amount of Samurais were conscripted in times of war and gathered under banners. It would be like calling 200k knights for a crusade, in terms of organization and logistics.

But as said, they could arrive in waves and use the trains to move to more populated areas able to absorb their impact in the economy, and sustain them.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
To be fairly honest Japan did not have properly an army at this time, but a feudal system in which that large amount of Samurais were conscripted in times of war and gathered under banners. It would be like calling 200k knights for a crusade, in terms of organization and logistics.

But as said, they could arrive in waves and use the trains to move to more populated areas able to absorb their impact in the economy, and sustain them.

Transcontinental railroad wasn't even begun until 1863.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Transcontinental railroad wasn't even begun until 1863.

Then it would be quite a journey...