Author Topic: Assigning Militia  (Read 5127 times)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Assigning Militia
« Topic Start: March 18, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
The thread about moving militia got me thinking about how expanding on the generals ability would be helpful but not approach a mobile militia type thing.  Two ways of doing it:

1-Fairly open ended:  Allowing lords of a region to have the same ability as the general where if when in their own region they could assign a militia unit to someone?

2-More closed:  Allowing the local lord to take control of a militia unit from his region, but only take control of it not actually assign it to anyone else?

I prefer the second option myself perhaps because it isn't too powerful and it makes reasonable sense when I think it out.  I have no unit and I'm in my region so I go to the captain of the guard and say grab some of your men and come with me.

egamma

Re: Assigning Militia
« Reply #1: March 21, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
2-More closed:  Allowing the local lord to take control of a militia unit from his region, but only take control of it not actually assign it to anyone else?

I like this option myself.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 22, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
I like the "more closed" option. Lords should be able to take control of any units in their region.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: March 22, 2011, 02:49:13 AM »
Didn't Tom say militia units aren't suppose to move and that is the whole point about them?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 22, 2011, 03:19:27 AM »
This is just an extension of the current General ability to assign militia. Once they are assigned, they aren't militia any more. It also requires a noble that doesn't currently have a unit, or in the 2nd case, only really allows the Lord to quickly grab a unit if they have lost one.

My only though is, is it exploitable. Given time a Lord could recruit and station several top notch units. Then when war comes they are easily able to refit when their unit is dead. This would be balanced by the cost of maintaining the militia, and the fact that militia units lose men over time. Can't see that it would be worth the effort personally but someone else might be able to provide more info.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 22, 2011, 04:15:02 AM »
Tony: Yes, Tom said he didn't want mobile militia, the ability to move militia.  This is not moving militia, this is just extending an ability that is already in the game for generals.

As for it being exploited, I don't know.  I also prefer option two which would only allow a region lord to pick up militia from his region, so he couldn't be passing them around.  If it was kept like the general's ability the region lord could only pickup a unit every few days I believe it is?  As De-Legro pointed out militia slowly lose troops over time which would also hinder any sort of exploit someone might try to find.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: March 22, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
This is just an extension of the current General ability to assign militia. Once they are assigned, they aren't militia any more. It also requires a noble that doesn't currently have a unit, or in the 2nd case, only really allows the Lord to quickly grab a unit if they have lost one.

My only though is, is it exploitable. Given time a Lord could recruit and station several top notch units. Then when war comes they are easily able to refit when their unit is dead. This would be balanced by the cost of maintaining the militia, and the fact that militia units lose men over time. Can't see that it would be worth the effort personally but someone else might be able to provide more info.

Militia units lose men over time?  :o
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 22, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »

Certainly.  There is a small amount of attrition built in, and militia units that are too small simply auto-disband.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 22, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »

Oh yes, you didn't expect that 20k of militia manning the walls of your capital would just sit around forever?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: March 23, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Oh yes, you didn't expect that 20k of militia manning the walls of your capital would just sit around forever?

Teehehe, I kinda did. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: March 24, 2011, 09:16:04 AM »
oh cmon! they are people too! they need to retire!

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 24, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »
Damn, I gotta change my hiring tactics if all my men in my militia are a few days away from retirement.  Though this discussion is rather funny and I enjoy all the free bumps I personally thought this was a good suggestion.

Allowing lords to be able to pickup their militia units from their region like the general does except without the ability to give the unit to anyone else.

Thoughts?