Author Topic: Having an estate as Ruler  (Read 18147 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Having an estate as Ruler
« Reply #45: April 17, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
Sounds like a good solution.

for a single duchy realm....
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 17, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
for a single duchy realm....

Why?

Basically, all this means is that all realms have an automatic game-generated duchy. Nothing prevents you from having a two-duchy realm in a two-region realms.

In fact, since this "ruler duchy" is mandatory, it could be excluded from the "all duchies require one region" rule. Then you could have two duchies in a one-region realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #47: April 17, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Basically, all this means is that all realms have an automatic game-generated duchy.

Not true. Only when required.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 17, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
unless i'm misunderstanding something.....

realm has
duchy A and duchy B

atm... ruler is also duke of duchy A and lord of Y (duchy A has a bunch of other regions)
duchy B has a duke (Z) who isn't a lord but it has a bunch of lords with regions.

come election, you elect lord X of duchy B

which bumps him to ruler and duke of duchy B + lord of X, whilst duke of duchy A keeps both lord and duke title, but duke B gets the boot back into a nobody (or ex-somebody)... eh?

the other scenario would be lord X becomes ruler+duke of duchy A and lord of X (thus region X joins duchy A).... old duke of A becomes a plain old lord of Y... but that doesn't really make that much sense either.

the other alternative is simply.... lord X becomes ruler + duke of newly created duchy C.. a new duchy created every time... otherwise... eh.. where do you place the booted ruler/duke? but the issue there for tim is that there's a proliferation of duchies...

it's not an issue at all in a single duchy realm, because duke and ruler is essentially bonded together into a double title..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:52:46 PM by fodder »
firefox

Masochist

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 17, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
I would assume he would leave his old duchy behind and acquire the ruler duchy. His old one would become lordless and the old ruler would likely take it up.

The Capital region and duchy would be a seat of power with more prestige and the like than any other duchy in a realm...so to acquire the ruler dutchy and ditch your old one would be easy enough. like dropping your simple throne for the throne of a nation.
Family Sion of Twainville

May my enemies live long so they can watch me progress.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #50: April 17, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
which bumps him to ruler and duke of duchy B + lord of X, whilst duke of duchy A keeps both lord and duke title, but duke B gets the boot back into a nobody (or ex-somebody)... eh?

Wrong

the other scenario would be lord X becomes ruler+duke of duchy A and lord of X (thus region X joins duchy A).... old duke of A becomes a plain old lord of Y... but that doesn't really make that much sense either.

Wrong

the other alternative is simply.... lord X becomes ruler + duke of newly created duchy C.. a new duchy created every time... otherwise... eh.. where do you place the booted ruler/duke? but the issue there for tim is that there's a proliferation of duchies...

This is the scenario being discussed, except that the duchy C isn't re-created every time. It would be a "special" duchy where the current ruler is also always automatically the duke. The old ruler would keep his region and it would stay in that duchy, but he would no longer be its duke. He can, of course, switch the allegiance of his region to a different duchy.

Also, this would only be true for rulers that are also region lords, but not dukes at the time of their election. If the new ruler is either not a region lord or is also the duke, then nothing changes.

Then again, we also need to think this one further down, as a ruler could also be a knight, but not the lord. And there's little we can do there.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 17, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
so it would be made impossible to for the ruler to unduke himself of that special duchy and appoint someone else?
----
losing knight's estate is no big deal.
----
so when the ruler (+special duke + lord) loses election to another duke, he stays as duke of special duchy (as ducal regent)? what if the winner is a duke of a duchy with no regions? does the winner stay as duke of duchy with no region, or does he become duke of special duchy which has regions?
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 18, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
Sounds like a good solution.

Sounds like an imperial duchy/region to me. Best solution, imo, in cases where the ruler wasn't already a duke.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 18, 2012, 01:43:53 AM »
I think it's fine to just kick the knight of out his estate if he wins the Ruler election, if he is not also a Lord.
------
qui audet vincit

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 18, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
I think it's fine to just kick the knight of out his estate if he wins the Ruler election, if he is not also a Lord.

As do I. I'd be happy if the ruler could have a tax-exempt estate on someone's land, but this would otherwise be a fair compromise. As long as he doesn't lose any lordship.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #55: April 18, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I like the current solution. It has the same advantage as our combat-defender solution: It is easy and transparent. Once you are used to it, you know what will happen to you and plan accordingly.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 18, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I like the current solution. It has the same advantage as our combat-defender solution: It is easy and transparent. Once you are used to it, you know what will happen to you and plan accordingly.

Just to be clear: which current solution is this?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 18, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
boot the lord if he's the ruler (and not duke....)
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #58: April 18, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
Yep.  Players are responsible for knowing the Ruler-Duke-Lord-Knight hierarchy and abide by it.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.