Author Topic: Deliberate use of a bug for IC gain.  (Read 35305 times)

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Deliberate use of a bug for IC gain.
« Reply #15: April 12, 2012, 12:44:56 AM »
This isn't about what the devs will and won't do.   We can't say that not a single one of the Devs wouldn't have taken the time to fix it, despite what the policy is. The social contract doesn't say anything about playing it out IC when you're sure the Devs won't fix it.    It says, "Do not exploit bugs to gain in-game advantages. Bring them to the attention of the dev team so we can fix them. If you are not sure if something that seems odd is a bug or not, ask."  He should have waited for a Dev to fix it, per the social contract, or at least waited for a dev to say "we're not going to fix that" or "it's as fixed as I can get it, play from here".

Using this bug was not an IC decision,  my characters certainly don't move my mouse or click on links, we don't have a social contract for characters.  Does this mean anything goes as long as you can justify it IC?  The contract is for us as players, it's OOC. When a bug happens, especially one as blatant as this, I expect my fellow players to abide by the social contract regardless of what your character told you to do.  If you as a player are creative enough to justify being a lord of a region that's not part of your realm, I'd expect you to be creative enough to find an IC reason not to be.