BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Deliberate use of a bug for IC gain.

<< < (18/18)

Kalanar:
Dwillight is a test island, yes? Test implies not only that there will be bugs, but when you play on a test server, you then become a tester. Unless he manipulated code, or knew this bug would occur in the first place (as in prior to the moment he became lord of a region no longer apart of his realm), he cannot be blamed.

Correct me if I have the wording wrong on the official rules but "Deliberate" is the key word in this violation.

Deliberate: "carefully weighed or considered"

He saw an option that shouldn't have been there and when presented with the opportunity to "test" it, he did. This all happened over a course of one or two days. To my knowledge, there is no way to prove that he knew the true consequences or had the time to considered them carefully.

The IC gain as a result of the bug was Morton becoming a Lord again.

The closing of RCs and duchy transfer were not bugs. Any Lord of a region has the right to do this. Unless you can prove, his testing of the buggy voting system was a deliberate attempt to have the ability to close RCs and transfer the duchy back, there is no case.

You cannot prove that Morton putting his name in for the Lordship of the region was exploitative. For all he knew, the voting could have been canceled before it was carried out.

His motives are purely speculative. There is no way he could have carefully considered this action before taking it and therefore it is not a deliberate use of a bug for IC gain.

Fury:

--- Quote from: Darksun on April 13, 2012, 07:00:31 AM ---So, I'm a bit confused. Would this be the binding solution from the magistrates or just your own personal test?

--- End quote ---
This:

--- Quote from: Fury on April 12, 2012, 05:00:49 AM ---It will help to decide if this was a case of exploiting a bug or than choosing the lesser of 3 evils.

--- End quote ---
Considering that the militia is (I assume) still being kept even after (especially after) he's commented in this thread makes it very clear.

ChrisVCB:
Not only being kept, but being heavily reinforced. It's sad that for all the talk from in this thread about this being an innocent mistake, the Libero players have kept deathly quiet on the idea of disbanding the Summerdale milita they gained. Judging purely off ingame actions, Orris and co have every intent to use it to thier gain.

Kind of pisses on the social contract:

--- Quote ---We expect you to play the game as you would play a board game with good friends, and to value fair play above any victory or power.
--- End quote ---

If I was playing Monopoly with friends and it was spotted that the banker accidentally gave me an extra 500, would I say "Well, it was a mistake, but it was given to me so i'm going to keep a hold of it"? Of course not, even if the rules of the game permitted me to keep it it'd not be in the spirit of fair play to do that.

I know they're 'entitled' to play through the bug however they wish (apparently), and ultimately, unless anyone on the staff steps in we have to deal with that, but certainly I feel the actions (making full use of the gain) don't match the words (it was an innocent mistake).

^ban^:
As has been stated before, no matter who benefits from a bug no action will be taken by the dev team to correct the consequences so long as the game remains playable.

Vellos:
A verdict has been reached, and IG enforcement actions have been made. For anyone who desires to cite this case in the future, the final verdict was:

"The Social Contract explicitly forbids exploiting bug or loopholes. In this case it has been determined that the player of the Morton Family did exploit a bug by changing the allegiance of Mt. Black Nastrond after becoming the lord as a result of an obvious bug. The proper behavior would have been to either do nothing, or step down. Ambiguity over intent regarding RC destruction left the Magistrates divided. However, the accused's lack of response to queries about disbanding militia led the Magistrates to believe that, at a minimum, a public warning was necessary. Furthermore, as in the case of playing a game with friends, we expect the player of the Morton Family to rectify the situation insofar as he is able, most specifically by disbanding the militia Summerdale dropped.

Thus, let this be a public reprimand that such behaviour will not be tolerated in the future and let the player concerned consider himself warned."

Magistrates voted 8-0 in favor of a guilty verdict, and 4-3-1 in favor of a public warning (3 votes for a 1-day lock, 1 vote for a private warning).

This thread is locked. If you wish to continue debating the issue, it can be done elsewhere. If you have questions for the Magistrates, please take it to the Q&A forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version