Author Topic: Netherworld Prison  (Read 15658 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Netherworld Prison
« Reply #30: April 14, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
Personally, I think it is an underreaction. I've set infiltrators free who had tried to assassinate Overlord - twice. Most human judges would have executed them. I have not accepted death duels because I didn't want to kill any characters, but a common reaction was to call Overlord a pussy. I have people who were seriously wounded in combat trash-talk me in a way that no matter how hard I try I can not imagine a real human being facing a creature three times his size who already struck you down once would.

These are outliers, certainly. I totally dig most of the roleplaying, including the attempts to provoke me, or to display courage and strength. But most of you don't see what I see and some of that is just out of line, and would not happen if there were actual consequences. Real people would fear for their lives. Why not have the players fear for their characters? Contrary to real humans, you get several and can continue playing even if one of them bites the dust.

Seriously. I have a guy in the Netherworld prison right now, who after I tortured almost 10 prisoners composed and posted via "yell to everyone" a song to ridicule Overlord - the guy who just made everyone in the other cells wish they were dead instead. You would have to be insane to do something like that in real life, and even a human judge would probably have you tortured to death slowly over the next three days.

And those extremes are what I'm pissed about, because it turns everything into a comic. And I'm sick and tired of sitting there and having to take it. Because the invasion is a bit of fun for me as well, but mostly work. Frankly, if you the players don't like it, then we can do away with the whole invasion thing. It really isn't worth all the effort if all it brings is crap like that.

So either you respect me - and that includes knocking some sense into your fellow players when they don't - or this is the last invasion because neither am I willing to do so much work for negative feedback again, nor am I willing to submit any volunteers to that treatment.

This is not about dictating roleplays. I don't care how you do it. But damn you, I have a 6 m (that's 20 feet for you americans) creature from another plane, wearing armour made out of the pure suffering of hundreds of humans, whose souls are still somewhat alive and you can hear and feel their agony. I don't think that it's too much to ask when I say that a roleplay of jumping up and down yelling "Overlord's a pussy, Overlord's a pussy" is inadequate. That's not even brave hero stuff, that's just stilly and stupid and ruins the atmosphere. There are many ways to roleplay a hero-in-the-face-of-overwhelming-odds in such a way that your opponent doesn't feel ridiculed.

End Rant.

Well Tom, partially you´re right. To have people yell "Overlord´s a pussy" every time is frustrating and not very noble, if I saw that it would be something I would report it so the person would lose honor/prestige (heck, I was once punished with this for calling a noble a rabid dog).

But you need to understand that, you are putting us against a 6m creature from another plane. That alone is pretty epic.

And with the anti-hero worship thing going on pretty much every were now, every one will act like him. In the end, everyone wants to be Wolverine. So yes, people will role-play the  hero-in-the-face-of-overwhelming-odds to make the enemy ridicule, because that´s what the anti-hero do. The noble one and the one that face the odds respecting the opponent and being noble is the more regular hero, most like Superman.

No one wants to be a "normal human" everyone wants to be great and leave the normality to the troops and captains.

Now on prison changes, the atmosphere of a prison would need to change a bit I think. Right now every prison just works as a way to keep you from playing for a week (and that´s one of the reasons that we usually have agreements with other realms to release prisoners after day three).
This is a system that could be remade, maybe add more things to it, like if there is 5 or more members of the same realm in one prison, you can start a rebellion, try a mass escape or anything like that.

Increase the activity and options to make prison a bad place so you can RP, more than a "wait for X days for you to play"

Bribe guards to help you and your fellow prisoners escape it is a good idea, add mortality to escape would be good too (after all you´re trying to escape, they can cut your hand or take your life depending on it).

Now I was one that voted for mortality on the invasion, I lost my oldest character to the last one and it was good. Because she died defending her land. And I see no problem with that. Overlord should accept duels and people should face the consequences of it.

Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Zakilevo

« Reply #31: April 14, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
I don't understand why people are asking Overlord for a duel. He is a monster and do people actually expect him to follow some human traditions and social rules?

That is like hoping mongols would arrange where to fight like other european nobilities. Did mongols send a messenger and arranged where to fight? no. They didn't bother with pathetic things like that.

If they really want to die that badly why not change your characters to hero and just fight him on the field?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 14, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
Then execute the impertinent little bastards and start accepting death duels (which you already announced you are going to do)! That you can do without changing any mechanics at all. I'd actually say you may have been going too easy on people all along. I respect your restraint, because I'm certain the purpose was to try to keep it fun for everyone by not abusing your ability to kill people's characters, but if they're asking for it, well, they're asking for it. You have my 100% support for executing people who break the mood by trash talking Overlord, and also for torturing them as much as humanly possible. You are right, that should create some fear for people's characters, enough to put a damper on the worst of it, other than the wingnuts with a death wish. As for those ones who taunt you on the battlefield, how's about you have Overlord start issuing death duel challenges? "Why don't you come over here and say that, human?"

+1

My character only ever challenged Overlord or his generals because I the player was under the mistaken impression that they were humanoid, but that was corrected long ago and I've tried to be more realistic about it since then.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 14, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
Just a thought: could bounties be payable in population?  Let's say Lord Kepler of Kepler City is captured by the Netherworld; could they demand 1000 souls of his people in exchange for allowing him to go free?
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 14, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
I like the idea but how could Lord Kepler make good on his promise? Unless he himself executed or sacrificed a thousand of his people.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 14, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
It could either be automatic (like promising twice the bounty in family gold to get out of prison) or you can have a dialog afterwards "Make good on the promise?"  The character could then either do so or risk the ire of Overlord by not doing so (perhaps resulting in an automatic ban) and you can bet that character will be feeding the soul forges himself next time he gets captured, or perhaps Overlord would just come to kill the realm; how he reacted would be up to Tom.

The confirmation text could be something like "Your men do as you order; following the daimon's instructions, the people are gathered and unholy symbols are drawn on the ground.  A howl of a thousand souls crying out in agony is heard as the sacrifices are dragged into the ground, sinking to the Netherworld."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:41:14 PM by OFaolain »

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #36: April 15, 2012, 01:52:07 AM »
Basically Tom, execute the people who have piss poor roleplaying.

Then again, the one singing the insulting song in prison may very well have just gone mad ICly!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 15, 2012, 05:18:57 AM »
Then execute the impertinent little bastards and start accepting death duels (which you already announced you are going to do)! That you can do without changing any mechanics at all. I'd actually say you may have been going too easy on people all along. I respect your restraint, because I'm certain the purpose was to try to keep it fun for everyone by not abusing your ability to kill people's characters, but if they're asking for it, well, they're asking for it. You have my 100% support for executing people who break the mood by trash talking Overlord, and also for torturing them as much as humanly possible. You are right, that should create some fear for people's characters, enough to put a damper on the worst of it, other than the wingnuts with a death wish. As for those ones who taunt you on the battlefield, how's about you have Overlord start issuing death duel challenges? "Why don't you come over here and say that, human?"

The principles behind the restrictions on execution are so that no one can risk death without having actually put themselves at risk willingly (heroes, repeat offending infils, going in a realm you are considered a traitor, etc.). I consider Overlord executing characters that taunt him as being well within the spirit of previous restrictions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 16, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »
There should be a difference between people showing bravery in the battle against Overlord and people taunting Overlord.  Definitely accept duels, it get's rid of the crazies and allows those who want to role-play an honorable death dueling Overlord that opportunity (everyone should understand that it is suicide).
Anyone taunting you in prison can be assumed to be crazy and therefore putting them out of their misery is the right thing to do.
As for consequences in this invasion, we have already lost half the continent to the blight.  Most capitals have been razed.  I would say there is a very real understanding of consequences right now.
I am surprised to hear you are not enjoying the invasion, were you not considering starting one on Dwilight as well?  I am confused why you would consider starting one elsewhere if the one going on in Belluaterra is not fun for you. 

(By the way, I DO understand how statistics work.  If what I wrote up on earlier posts does not make sense to you and you care, I can explain it in a personal message)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 16, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
There should be a difference between people showing bravery in the battle against Overlord and people taunting Overlord.  Definitely accept duels, it get's rid of the crazies and allows those who want to role-play an honorable death dueling Overlord that opportunity (everyone should understand that it is suicide).
Anyone taunting you in prison can be assumed to be crazy and therefore putting them out of their misery is the right thing to do.
As for consequences in this invasion, we have already lost half the continent to the blight.  Most capitals have been razed.  I would say there is a very real understanding of consequences right now.
I am surprised to hear you are not enjoying the invasion, were you not considering starting one on Dwilight as well?  I am confused why you would consider starting one elsewhere if the one going on in Belluaterra is not fun for you. 

(By the way, I DO understand how statistics work.  If what I wrote up on earlier posts does not make sense to you and you care, I can explain it in a personal message)
Why did you think Tom was considering invading Dwilight?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 16, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
I thought I had heard there were those plans.  I know it was part of the April Fool's joke, but I thought there was talk of it apart from the joke. 

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 16, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
I thought I had heard there were those plans.  I know it was part of the April Fool's joke, but I thought there was talk of it apart from the joke.
The cloud near Paisly was neither a  part of the April Fool's joke nor a thought of invading there just to let you know.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 17, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
The cloud near Paisly was neither a  part of the April Fool's joke nor a thought of invading there just to let you know.

Yeah, apparently some players know what it was but they're not sharing. >.<

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 17, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »
I thought others knew,  but the cloud was activated by someone activating the portal stones.
― G.K. Chesterton