Author Topic: Tearing down RC's- IR Violation?  (Read 5350 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Tearing down RC's- IR Violation?
« Topic Start: April 16, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
Okay, so the IR in question is: Everyone has a right to recruit any type of unit that they wish. (Infantry/Archers/MI/Cavalry/SF)

The question is: Does it violate the IR to tear down all recruitment centers of a certain type within one's realm in order to encourage recruitment of the other types of units instead? (Also thereby preventing anyone from recruiting a certain type of unit)

Known violations of the IR:

1. Any member of the realm telling a noble to recruit X type of unit. (Whether a request/order/letter, etc...)
2. Any member of the realm telling a noble that they can't recruit X type of unit.
3. Any member of the realm saying that nobles recruiting X type of unit will be given Y punishment. (won't be given lordships, given fines, or even just not considered helpful, etc...)

Known non-violations of the IR:

4. A member of the realm giving encouragements to recruit a particular type of unit to the realm as a whole. ("Anyone who wants to recruit infantry will be given 100 gold towards recruitment of their unit")

----------
Situation A:
So, would it be against the IR if a realm didn't want any Mixed Infantry in its armies, so it decided that it would tear down the 2 Mixed Infantry centers that it had in its realm? By doing so, it eliminates the possibility of any of the cases 1-3 from occurring as listed above. Their nobles are still able to recruit any unit that they wish, but they simply don't have access to Mixed Infantry, so they have to choose another unit type.

Situation A assumes that all lords of the regions with those recruitment centers agree with the idea of eliminating the centers.

Situation B:
A realm doesn't want any mixed infantry in its armies so it decides to tear down the 2 Mixed Infantry centers in its realm. However, one of the region lords who has a mixed infantry center in its region refuses to comply with this standard. Is it against the IR's for the Duke of said lord, to raise taxes in his region for as long as the mixed infantry center remains in the region, so as to "encourage" the lord to destroy the mixed infantry center?

Situation C:
A realm doesn't have any mixed infantry centers in its realm and hasn't had any mixed infantry centers in its realm since the beginning of the realm. Is this realm in violation of the IR for not allowing all of its nobles to recruit mixed infantry if they wanted to?

Situation D:
A realm doesn't have any mixed infantry centers in its realm and hasn't had any mixed infantry centers in its realm since the beginning of the realm. A noble states publicly that they want to recruit mixed infantry. Is the realm in violation of the IR if they don't immediately comply and build mixed infantry centers to accomodate this noble?

------------------
For the purposes of this IR situation, "mixed infantry" could easily be substituted with Infantry, Archers, or SF.

I have included Situation's A-D because I feel that all four are inter-related and address situations that would possibly arise should any one of them be allowed. I have based all of my "known" situations based upon what I've read at some point in the forums or the discussion list. I ask this question because I don't want to breach the IR when implementing a policy in one of my realms.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

Re: Tearing down RC's- IR Violation?
« Reply #1: April 16, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »
I don't think so. I think you only violate IR if you tell people directly. Encouraging by providing incentives isn't really violating IR in my opinion. I've always told my marshals to tell TLs the council fully funds people if they recruit Cavalry units while we don't give a penny if they want SF.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: April 16, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
The question is: Does it violate the IR to tear down all recruitment centers of a certain type within one's realm in order to encourage recruitment of the other types of units instead? (Also thereby preventing anyone from recruiting a certain type of unit)

No.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 16, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
For a very long time (maybe even til today), Darka had mostly infantry RCs, with only a few other types.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 16, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
For a very long time (maybe even til today), Darka had mostly infantry RCs, with only a few other types.

It's not against the rules to do this. However, it's counter-productive. An extremely specialized army has weaknesses that can be exploited in order to be defeated by smaller better mixed armies.

In other words, you can do it if you want, but it's inadvisable.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 16, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
This is the wrong thread to go into a debate, but so far as infantry goes, I call BS on that. A pure infantry army will crush pretty much any equivalently sized army, with the exception of a cav-heavy army on an open field. No surprise with that, since that's a dream setup for cavalry.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 16, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
Kinda have to agree. I've always considered archers mainly useless, for example. Only real advantage is if you win the battle, your archers don't take many casualties. But I've seen very few cases where you wouldn't have got better results by just replacing the archers with more infantry.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 16, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »
Kinda have to agree. I've always considered archers mainly useless, for example. Only real advantage is if you win the battle, your archers don't take many casualties. But I've seen very few cases where you wouldn't have got better results by just replacing the archers with more infantry.

We have been gradually making changes to improve the effectiveness of archers over the past few years, and we have more in the plans. If you haven't tried them lately, you should take another look at archers now. You might well find that they are better than you remember.

It is not, and has never been, the intention of BattleMaster to be pure infantry vs infantry. That's boring as hell.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 16, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
Are those changes mainly only on testing at the moment?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 16, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
Are those changes mainly only on testing at the moment?

Ah...probably, yes. Sorry, didn't think of that :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 16, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
I don't have any nobles on the testing isles, so eagerly awaiting all the changes to come to stable. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 16, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
The archer changes will be a nice boost to them. It should help some. And the changes to MI shooting instead of dancing are nice, too. But only time will tell if they are enough to make a difference.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #12: April 16, 2012, 09:33:11 PM »
Time to lock this thread, and/or move the archer discussion?