Author Topic: Hail Norland!  (Read 34027 times)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Hail Norland!
« Topic Start: March 19, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
A tribute to the Greatest Realm there ever was.

Hail to the Screaming Chicken!

The Phoenix Shall Rise Again!
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: Hail Norland!
« Reply #1: March 19, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
I pray it never does. I have seen too many realms "reborn" in my time playing BattleMaster, and they have all, without exception, been pathetic things.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

The Arch Saxon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 19, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »
Hail to the Screaming Chicken!
Hail to the Konungr, the Thane Jarl, the Grand Executioner, the Loot and Wealth Overseer!

Hail to Norland.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 19, 2011, 12:35:12 AM »
I pray it never does. I have seen too many realms "reborn" in my time playing BattleMaster, and they have all, without exception, been pathetic things.

And Norland was pathetic even while it lived.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 19, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »
Norland was the most vibrant, amusing and above all FUN realm I have played in.

Yes it could be silly at times, deadly serious at others, but things happened, memorable characters emerged, insane stories developed and it was always entertaining. The atmosphere encouraged everyone, established and newcomers alike, to join in the fun.

Norlanders loved Norland but were still willing to risk it all to keep things interesting for everyone else, even if that meant fighting apparently hopeless wars (and, for a long time, winning them).

I'd go as far as to say that if it had not been for Norland I might have got bored of BM long ago and packed it in. One of the reasons I keep playing is the hope that I can find a realm like that again. Not necessarily that mad but that interesting and passionate.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 19, 2011, 03:15:37 AM »
insane stories developed

Yeah that about did it for me. Hung around for honor/prestige for a while... but eventually got out.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 19, 2011, 03:22:16 AM »
I've always like Norland up until the end, both as their enemy and as a Norlander myself. The Viking Wars were fun... great battles, great enemies. After the Wars ended I decided to give Norland itself a go. Lighthearted atmosphere, fun players, and always something to do. I wrote a pre-battle speech as marshal of one of their armies, drunk off my tits, which was nice. I was its general for a while, kicked some MI ass, then got to be ruler for a month after the old one got himself seriously wounded in a lone suicide charge. Good times... But towards the end, I heard people say the atmosphere changed. A lot of the old players were gone, and the new ones didn't have a clue on how to handle things, and ultimately things got as far as Norland being wiped out by its former allies. Not the ending they deserved based on their entire lifespan, IMO.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 19, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »
It did get increasingly messy towards the end due to attrition and desperation in some circles but thoe of us from the old-guard who were left did what we could towards the end.

I was a bit dissapointed as to how it all ended TBH but all's fair in love and war (and politics) so can't really complain about MI winning by doing things Norland wouldn't even have contemplated for religious/moral/ethical/cultural reasons. At least Norland kept it's soul to the end.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: March 19, 2011, 04:15:52 AM »
Ah, that's really important. Now your viking souls get to fight in contentment among the Hall of Slain Heroes until the end of Atamara draws. Oh hey, the entire continent minus I think Minas Ithil is at war, against CE. Maybe the end of Atamara has come and the Norlanders need to come back to fight alongside their gods in this epic war?  :D

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 19, 2011, 04:54:55 AM »
Nah. Norland's time came and went. It was good while it lasted but Norlanders just wanted a good, simple, honest fight. Atamara is not the place for that now and has not been since Norland fell.

Regulus Blackmore

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 19, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »
Norland was a funny-hyper active Realm, a lot of people wants to "create" Norland again, but it is impossible, in my opinion.

I was lucky, because I think that I had one character ( even two ) there during the gold days of Norland, and trust me when I tell you that, sometimes .. a lot of times, I cried of laughter reading the news of that mad realm.

But as I said, I think that is impossible to create "Norland" again, and an error. Too much people wants that Realm destroyed. Al we can do ( the former Norlanders ) is to try to bring some fun to the game in Norland costume... ARF!

But Norland means sad things for me too, as player. Those days were my gold days too, and RegulusĀ“ is unable to be the same "viking" now. Also, I failed to create another character with "personality".

About the last days of Norland... I must admit that those were the worst days for me as BM player ( except for those days when some characters were killed or deleted ). Due to a twist of fate... Regulus the Norlander had to make a hard decission, a really hard decission... the fate of Norland was in his hands... when he was the Ruler of other Realm. I realized ( OOC ), in that momment, the difference between the point of view of the things when you are in Norland, and when you are in another Realm, even when you are a former Norlander.

They decided to die fighting, and they died fighting.
Kill to live and live to die,
Human nature you let the strong survive.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 19, 2011, 05:41:13 AM »
Bleh, some former Norlanders came to Eston when Norland died, most annoying bunch of characters ever.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 19, 2011, 05:52:25 AM »
Bleh, some former Norlanders came to Eston when Norland died, most annoying bunch of characters ever.

Let me guess... Xaphan, Anneliese, Davendrall... aka Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 19, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »
Let me guess... Xaphan, Anneliese, Davendrall... aka Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

Yes.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 19, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »
Yes.

Well, Carelia certainly thanks you for siphoning off this filth towards us >:(