Author Topic: Hail Norland!  (Read 34224 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Hail Norland!
« Reply #45: March 24, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
You assume too much. I wasn't talking about the war at all but rather when my character Channing switched Melmoor's allegiance to BoM.

So YOU are the one who toke my spoons huh? u.u

I think I still hold the title of "the least amount of time as a lord of Melmoor" everytime I was appointed, with two diferent chars, I couldn´t stay more than 2 days as lord.

Hey johnny, one thing that was brought up for us in Norland was that the execution of DA3 was one of the reasons the war against Norland began,  how much weight in this(to attack Norland) decision his execution actually had?
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 24, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
Hey johnny, one thing that was brought up for us in Norland was that the execution of DA3 was one of the reasons the war against Norland began,  how much weight in this(to attack Norland) decision his execution actually had?

It wasn't - as I recall - so much the execution itself, but the manner of execution and treatment of the corpse afterwards.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 24, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
I'm not mad anymore but for a newer-ish player it was somewhat annoying that the reason was OOC. And your answer sounded a bit fishy. So no I didn't believe you.. but I'm not willing to put that between us as players. I'm a pretty easy going player myself and I apologize for my rude comment that was originally taken the wrong way.

I mean who really enjoys being duped for a their 2nd ever lordship with an OOC reason? Just laying down the facts
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: March 24, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
It wasn't - as I recall - so much the execution itself, but the manner of execution and treatment of the corpse afterwards.

So they didn´t like it that I cutted his head, smashed his chest, sent his heart to MI and put his head in Mansbridge as a warning to all infiltrators and burned the rest? I tought it was a good RP (one of my favorites...to bad I lost it)

As noble and former ruler, this was best than just hanging him...
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: March 25, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
So they didn´t like it that I cutted his head, smashed his chest, sent his heart to MI and put his head in Mansbridge as a warning to all infiltrators and burned the rest? I tought it was a good RP (one of my favorites...to bad I lost it)

As noble and former ruler, this was best than just hanging him...

No, no one liked that you desecrated the corpse of a royal. Unless my memory is failing me, the handling of DA3 was thing that finally turned the Barony against Norland.
The Stefanovics live.

johnny Hammarberg

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 25, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
So YOU are the one who toke my spoons huh? u.u

I think I still hold the title of "the least amount of time as a lord of Melmoor" everytime I was appointed, with two diferent chars, I couldn´t stay more than 2 days as lord.

From Sordnaz side it didnt matter at all, DA3 had turned crazy and became a criminal and criminals who got decapitated or whatever deserved their faith and as an educated enlightened royal he should have known better. I remember saying that if Norland was wrong then any royal can use the escape from execution card. As for the treatment of the body afterwards I can only say what sordnaz thought and that is that it was not the body of the former MI ruler but rather the one of a viscious criminals who had forfeited all respect and former glory by becoming the man he did.

There was one reason for the war and one only, Norland should NOT have attacked MI at that point and they knew it, I heard that many new Norland players lacked patience and wanted more action...combine that with lousy leadership and the outcome was devastating. There was plans for a greater Norland to restore its former glory at that time but I guess stalling for a few weeks was not an option  :(
In war, truth is the first casualty.  ~Aeschylus

johnny Hammarberg

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: March 25, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
I'm not mad anymore but for a newer-ish player it was somewhat annoying that the reason was OOC. And your answer sounded a bit fishy. So no I didn't believe you.. but I'm not willing to put that between us as players. I'm a pretty easy going player myself and I apologize for my rude comment that was originally taken the wrong way.

I mean who really enjoys being duped for a their 2nd ever lordship with an OOC reason? Just laying down the facts

I guess it must have been quite a blow even if the OOC reason was an accident, as for easy going...try being a ruler or a hot headed general arguing for a point for a few months and you will find out what rude comments really are about and you will find ways to take deep breaths while biting your tongue only to hug and kiss the next week :) Your comment was in line with your thoughts and it takes so little to make it written and I do not hold it against you as statements that not is clouded or twisted in fancy words actually show how you really feel about things.

Just noticed that one of my little chars is under your command now :D

Anyway, if it would make you feel better your char is welcome to BoM and I will make sure he and Sordie gets in an old fashioned pub brawl ;)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: March 26, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »
There was one reason for the war and one only, Norland should NOT have attacked MI at that point and they knew it, I heard that many new Norland players lacked patience and wanted more action...combine that with lousy leadership and the outcome was devastating. There was plans for a greater Norland to restore its former glory at that time but I guess stalling for a few weeks was not an option  :(

Of course. In the Great Northern Viking Co-prosperity Sphere, all have to march in lock-step with Great Comrade Sordnaz, or else you'll get purged.  ;)
------
qui audet vincit

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 26, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
Of course. In the Great Northern Viking Co-prosperity Sphere, all have to march in lock-step with Great Comrade Sordnaz, or else you'll get purged.  ;)

Welcome to the only proper tyrany in the game. I like to call it home.
The Stefanovics live.

johnny Hammarberg

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: March 26, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »

Two steps behind if we are to loot and two steps ahead if we are to visit my mother  ;)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: March 28, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

there was some of the old ones impatient too...but we weren´t getting no info about the plans to restore Norland, and the focus was on the agreement that MI should deliver Mansbridge...

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: March 28, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
but we weren´t getting no info about the plans to restore Norland

Actually, you were. At the time Hang was the Barony's general, and he made several attempts to make both Norland's ruler and general see reason. It was very obvious to us what was going to happen, but the ruling class in Norland simply did not care and rejected all the help we were able to offer.
The Stefanovics live.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: March 28, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
Two steps behind if we are to loot and two steps ahead if we are to visit my mother  ;)

Isaiah Harte is gonna annoy the piss out of you, then  :P
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: March 28, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
Well, speaking as the General in question at the time I don't recall the way forward with the issue of Mansbridge being made clear by anyone that had more substance than "you can trust MI" which had, over years of war, repeatedly been proven not to be true and in any case was being said by Norland's former allies who had recently betrayed them to side with MI against Norland on the flimsiest of pretexts (in a Norlander's eyes a royal loses his status when he lowers himself to murdering nobles in their sleep and should be treated like any other common criminal).

MI had promised to return Mansbridge to Norland once relations improved but were vague about the terms and refused to clarify them before the treaty was signed. Many in Norland wanted to refuse to sign the treaty until that was rectified because they fully expected MI to renage on this deal but the then King signed anyway. Norland repeatedly tried to raise relations, even offering to feed MI's starving regions but  were met by silence. As MI started to garrison Mansbride and allow their allies' troops to pass through it (against the terms of the peace treaty which forbade any military forces in the region) it looked like they indeed had no intention of honouring the treaty. Given their history of double-dealing and political treachery there was no reason to trust them to.

MI had failed to honour the treaty so Norland took back what had been promised.

MI's new allies then obligingly wiped Norland off the map for them, incidentally gaining much gold and land in the process.

Whatever else was known, believed or talked about outside of Norland this was all that Norlanders saw.

Sure, we could have waited and unspecified amount of time to see if MI might do an about-face and honour their treaty or, when the threat of war in the south faded, use Mansbridge as a staging post for an attack on Norland but standing idle in the face of treachery and threat because it was safer to do so was not Norland's nature. When the question of taking Mansbridge by force was raised the reply came back from all levels of Norland and that reply was "fight!".

"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: March 28, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Sounds like probably Norland's ruler at the time did a poor job of explaining the political situation to the rest of the realm, including the council. The ruler is the one who should have been aware of what was going on, who would have been warned by other rulers what war with MI was going to result in.