Author Topic: Hail Norland!  (Read 33779 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Hail Norland!
« Reply #15: March 19, 2011, 06:13:52 AM »
Gotta love that vulgarity button!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 19, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »
Well, Carelia certainly thanks you for siphoning off this filth towards us >:(

Yeah, I heard they went that way. I'm terribly sorry, really.

Gotta love that vulgarity button!

Yes. Very much so.

Also, once Kerwin became King. The first time they broke a law: BANNED.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 19, 2011, 06:52:19 AM »
Let me guess... Xaphan, Anneliese, Davendrall... aka Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

I'm pretty sure only one of them was ever a Norlander. The others just pretend to have been.
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 19, 2011, 06:53:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure only one of them was ever a Norlander. The others just pretend to have been.

Wow... that's even worse!  :o
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 19, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
I honestly would not wish former Norland nobles on my enemies. You have my condolences. :)

Anneliese and Davendrall are... I suppose they are parodies of Norland nobles. Considering that Norland had a squirrel for a Prime Minister for a while, you'd have to go pretty over the top to parody them.

Having said that, I am sad that there is now one fewer Republic on Atamara.
------
qui audet vincit

johnny Hammarberg

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 19, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
Let me guess... Xaphan, Anneliese, Davendrall... aka Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

I would say that the names are in the wrong order but .. ;D

I myself enjoyed Norland a lot, friends made and loads of fun due to Norrland and I must say that putting Norland down was the hardest thing I have been part of during my years in BM  :'( 
In war, truth is the first casualty.  ~Aeschylus

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #21: March 19, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
Ah, yes, Norland. Us Darkans had much fun using your capital as a training ground for our troops, and we thank you for it.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 19, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »
Yeah, I heard they went that way. I'm terribly sorry, really.

Yes. Very much so.

Well, Xaphan died in a battle a while ago, and the two bozos have deleted or paused today, so... you're off the hook, mister.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #23: March 19, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Well, Xaphan died in a battle a while ago, and the two bozos have deleted or paused today, so... you're off the hook, mister.

I've noticed that I don't have 1000 pointless RPs to scan through today... Must be a sign of spring.

MickTheSlasher

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 19, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
1000 pointless RPS better than non at all

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 19, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »
When I very first joined BM, I based my choice of which realm to choose on AT based on their Government type and flag.

I was very tempted by the rising phoenix, however I ended up choosing the CE. Something very regal about that Gold Cagilan lion on a red field.

I'm extremely glad I did not choose Norland now, for I very much doubt I'd still be here today. That kind of RP would have spoiled the whole game for me. Crazy chickens and squirrels and what not? Call me a prude, but I liked the atmosphere of the CE.

In fact, even as ruler of Coria, I still think I enjoyed the CE as a mere Knight just as much. Yeah I didn't have as much power, and the travel times were a pain, but you certainly felt like you belonged there.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 19, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
It helps if you consider that everyone in Norland was pretty drunk most of the time.

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 19, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
It helps if you consider that everyone in Norland was pretty drunk most of the time.

Characters or players!? :P

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 19, 2011, 04:48:37 PM »
Characters or players!? :P

Both sometimes ;D

The zany side of Norland is over-exaggerated, perhaps because it's unusual and so sticks in the mind more than the more mundane things. Most people only occasionally flirted with silliness and most of the silliness could be rationalised as being the sort of army humour used to keep spirits up and encourage a sense of camaraderie. Princess Lucky was probably never actually used as a siege engine and likely didn't really eat an enemy scout when her supper was delayed.. but the thought she might have sure cheers you and your shrinking band of comrades as you march through another cold and muddy field on your way to another brutal battle. I doubt that human nature has evolved so much that people in the middle-ages did not have a sense of humour, and even a dark, silly and bawdy one from time to time.

Sure, the Viking culture in Norland was a caricature (though certain people had enough knowledge to add some authenticity) but most realms are a caricature of medieval culture to some extent due to the limits of players' historical knowledge.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 19, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
Norland was indeed fun.

Towards the end it became a little messy, that´s true...

but I think I would do most things agains if I could (I would definetly execute DA3 again...it was good).

Then it came the promisse to help restoring Norland for a while, but after Eston, I realized that there is no way Norland can be restored...and even if it is, it won´t have the same energy that the golden age of Norland had.

Hail Norland!
Hail the Spoons! (like Gunner liked to add)
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic