Author Topic: Siege engines  (Read 3597 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Siege engines
« Topic Start: April 19, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
Well, not sure if this is good idea... but maybby worth to have small thought on it.

Siege engines now are useless without actual siege, and can be used only against walls. But actually siege engines were used on both side of siege and on the open field aswell(catapults etc.).

So, how about to add totally new troop type? Ranged siege-engines or catapults. At battle they will fire at ranges 3-6, mayby every second round, doing pretty massive damage if they hit. And ofcourse those would be lost if battle is lost and unit retreated.

This could be hard to do... but just thought it would be cool to have catapult!
~Violence is always an option!~

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Siege engines
« Reply #1: April 19, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
I always thought of the siege engines as being the likes of rams and siege towers, which are indeed only useful in an actual siege.

Some kind of medieval artillery would indeed be an interesting twist.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 19, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
There might be some SF centers that simulate that already. I wish there is more transparency in what the SF centers actually do. :(

I also think of the siege engines in-game as siege towers with spiky things pointing toward the walls, so that they can double as rams.
------
qui audet vincit

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 19, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
I think it has been brought up before that siege engine for archer units would work like catapults. I think discussion on it usually dissipates. I think it would be a cool idea, slightly more damage towards units and increased damage to fortifications. Even let defending archers in a siege use siege engines, though they probable don't need the help.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 19, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
Wouldn't that mean to leave the Archers without jobs?

So now, besides a realm Bringing 30,000 CS in the open field, you want them to have catapults as well?

Ohh my!

Peace.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 19, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
Archers still have their jobs, they start to shoot when Catapults cant shoot anymore. Also Archers might survive from lost battles, catapults wont, so they are a bit expensive and slow...
~Violence is always an option!~

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 20, 2012, 02:22:41 AM »
I always thought of the siege engines as being the likes of rams and siege towers, which are indeed only useful in an actual siege.

Some kind of medieval artillery would indeed be an interesting twist.

Siege engines are siege towers. The only text the game ever describes siege engines with is for climbing up the walls.

While others, I believe, climb ladders instead.

I don't know why it's called siege engines, really.

You can always RP ranged SF as having siege engines.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 23, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
eh... some do attack walls.
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 23, 2012, 12:48:04 AM »
eh... some do attack walls.

They damage the walls, sure. I always linked it more to the fact that you have some of these huge towers crashing onto the walls and such, and possible rams integrated into them as well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron