Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 9065 times)

Karedan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #15: June 01, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »
it's getting a bit like The Sims series (not that i play those games ofcourse :o ) every time they release a new part you have to buy ALL the expansions once again to get all the features back..

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 01, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
Wait, what?

Do you mean you feel like actions are repetitive? Or that you're inclined to use the same strategy over and over?

I for one have had a hell of a lot of fun in my multiplayer battles. Usually myself and Nekarios of Terran play against 5-6 AIs on a huge world. Last game we got curbstomed by Greece and China (allies), then amassed our forces in the Industrial age and launched the single most MASSIVE Civ invasion I've ever seen. We fought a war of attrition, sending troops far across the ocean, until I managed to create a city on the western badlands of the Chinese continent. I got lucky and was next to a deposit of aluminium, which later helped me bombard China with troops. Once we had my city as a FOB, we began taking city-by-city, eventually wiping China from existence... Only to have Greece, some random southern nation who's name I forget declare on us, some others as well decide to gang up on us, and England starts taking pot-shots at our troops. I amassed my ridiculously-powerful navy and proceeded to clear the seas and provide logistics for Nekarios, who is always my Iron Fist in all the games we play together. We ended up nuking the random southern super-nation into nothingness, and were about to invade Greece when I lost my internet. Haven't played since, sadly.

Lately we've been playing Sword of the Stars, which is a Scifi 4X game comparable to Civ. Its a bit weird to get into at first because of the unique mechanics, but I really enjoy playing it when I'm not being murdered by alien alliances because I'm too much of an economic turtle rather than a militaristic expander. :P
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 01, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
That's not true - I also happen to own every Sims game in existence.

You don't need other expansions unless they're actually releasing an entirely new game, which only happened twice - Sims 2 and 3. In those cases its justified because they were complete overhauls and are vastly different from the original Sims, which I used to love played when I was younger. Its because of me that a dozen or so of my younger female cousins in Brazil are addicted to the Sims, heh.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Karedan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 01, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
Wait, what?

Do you mean you feel like actions are repetitive? Or that you're inclined to use the same strategy over and over?

I for one have had a hell of a lot of fun in my multiplayer battles. Usually myself and Nekarios of Terran play against 5-6 AIs on a huge world. Last game we got curbstomed by Greece and China (allies), then amassed our forces in the Industrial age and launched the single most MASSIVE Civ invasion I've ever seen. We fought a war of attrition, sending troops far across the ocean, until I managed to create a city on the western badlands of the Chinese continent. I got lucky and was next to a deposit of aluminium, which later helped me bombard China with troops. Once we had my city as a FOB, we began taking city-by-city, eventually wiping China from existence... Only to have Greece, some random southern nation who's name I forget declare on us, some others as well decide to gang up on us, and England starts taking pot-shots at our troops. I amassed my ridiculously-powerful navy and proceeded to clear the seas and provide logistics for Nekarios, who is always my Iron Fist in all the games we play together. We ended up nuking the random southern super-nation into nothingness, and were about to invade Greece when I lost my internet. Haven't played since, sadly.

Lately we've been playing Sword of the Stars, which is a Scifi 4X game comparable to Civ. Its a bit weird to get into at first because of the unique mechanics, but I really enjoy playing it when I'm not being murdered by alien alliances because I'm too much of an economic turtle rather than a militaristic expander. :P

haha those are the most fun moments in any Civ game IMO
because of this topic i decided playing Civ5 again yesterday and i'm always more of a economic turtle myself and all of a sudden every civ on the contintent decided to attack me while i was still in the middle ages (they were a bit behind me technologically, i always invest in research a lot) while i only had the warrior i started with XD i completly turned my whole economy to making units (and since i had a strong economy i could buy some of them instantly) and all of a sudden all the other civs were fighting each other on my own ground instead of fighting me XD after that i just marched right through them with my whole army, and took over half the continent XD I love how weirdly Civ games can go sometimes :P

btw.. been thinking about getting Sword of the Stars.. is it any good?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 03, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
Civ 5 would be a 10/10 game except the AI is just totally awful. I can't count the amount of times I was attacked first by siege engines and then by a pathetic stream of infantry coming in one-by-one.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 05, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
The AI in SoTS are !@#$ing geniuses, always screwing me over, allying against me, hitting me from multiple fronts, etc.

I hate you, functional AI! People complain about !@#$ AI but I'm used to it... :P

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 05, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
I remember trying to get the Steam achievement for beating Civ V at the highest difficulty level. Made a team of 7 vs 1. The 1 just happened to be Gandhi and I think every one of our capitals was nuked into smithereens as he wiped the floor with everybody. I cannot cope with Civ's AI at the higher difficulties. Or at least, things are stacked against you in such a way that you cannot adequately exploit the AI's foibles :-P Almost always being rushed to death or I end up a technological backwater whilst another civilisation eats everyone alive.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 05, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Nope, your mistake.

Ghandi is programmed to be ultra-powerful, its a long-running programmer's joke about Ghandi's usually peaceful nature.

Trust me, he f*cked me up to.

Zakilevo

« Reply #23: June 17, 2012, 06:42:13 AM »
Nope, your mistake.

Ghandi is programmed to be ultra-powerful, its a long-running programmer's joke about Ghandi's usually peaceful nature.

Trust me, he f*cked me up to.

Ghandi the Conqueror, Ghandi the Iron Fist.... He is not violent at all. You don't expect a gun behind his smiling face.

Karedan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 17, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
now that you say.. in every game i do Gandhi ends up as the biggest and powerful Civ (except for mine) :o

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #25: June 18, 2012, 03:01:27 AM »
Ah, if only I had the time to play multiplayer civ games... One day I will become financially independent and spend 1 day a week playing games.  Then it'll just be hard to find other people able to do so as well. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 18, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
I play regularly with 3-5 guys, just shoot me a message and we'll be down for a game. :P

If anything, my skype is MaximaAarkon.