Poll

Pretty straightforward... Tell us which is your neck of the woods!

Northern America
29 (50.9%)
Central/Southern America
1 (1.8%)
UK/Ireland
7 (12.3%)
Western Europe
13 (22.8%)
Eastern Europe
0 (0%)
Scandinavia
3 (5.3%)
North Africa
0 (0%)
Central/Southern Africa
1 (1.8%)
Middle East
0 (0%)
Central Asia
0 (0%)
South-East Asia
1 (1.8%)
Australia/New Zealand
2 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: What part of the world are you from?  (Read 19283 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: What part of the world are you from?
« Reply #30: April 06, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Ain't that an offense to all the other islanders who live in the area, some of which actually aren't found on even modern maps?

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 06, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
I was going suggest that the collective noun 'Antipodeans' was an acceptable designation for AU and NZ citizens (as that is how they are often described here in the UK) but  discovered the definition  and realised that to you we are the antipodeans. I learn something new every day.

The only other collective nouns we have in the UK for AU and NZ citizens is 'backpackers' or, possibly, 'barmen'.  :D
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 07, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »
That's amusing, to us the UK are backpackers, crop pickers, and when they young lasses get really desperate, top less bar girls. But come on, Australia is the only continent you guys want to lump with another country? Have the other continents get multiple categories ITS UNFAIR I TELL YOU.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #33: April 07, 2011, 12:32:44 AM »
It might be due to the fact that Australia's landmass is the only continent occupied by only one country (Other than Antarctica).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 07, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
3 countries actually, there are still 2 guys that have declared their homes to be sovereign nations and refuse to pay taxes. They do habitually cross the borders in order to import food supplies though.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 07, 2011, 01:18:41 AM »
That's amusing, to us the UK are backpackers, crop pickers, and when they young lasses get really desperate, top less bar girls. But come on, Australia is the only continent you guys want to lump with another country? Have the other continents get multiple categories ITS UNFAIR I TELL YOU.

Like I said.. we are each other's antipodes  :D

As for lumping countries together.. Um, 'The Americas', 'Africa', 'Europe'...it happens to the best of us.

Hmmm.. what does 'Australasia' contain? Does that cover NZ? Same continental shelf? Too late (bottle #2) too google anymore.

Australia has sharks, snakes, stingrays, spiders and basically even the wildlife without an 's' at the start of it's name wants to kill you*. NZ has Hobbits and sheep as far as I can tell from the Lord of The Rings commentaries National geographic documentaries I have seen. No contest IMHO ;D

It's human nature to generalise (and to get annoyed when people do).

Hell, even half the UK has probably declared their nationality as Scottish, English, Irish or Welsh in the 10-year census last week.

*My sister has lived in AU for 15 years.. she has never been a barmaid and the wildlife constantly tries to kill her (though she does work for vets). We both love the former colonies anyway ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:23:30 AM by wraith »
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #36: April 07, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
Australia has the top couple of venomous snakes or something. If this were an RPG, Australia would be the equivalent of the final boss' lair, unless this is one of those other RPGs where the secret final boss level occurs in the uninhabited place Antarctica, and the penguins explode. Hm, that's Disgaea isn't it....

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 07, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »
Australia has the top couple of venomous snakes or something. If this were an RPG, Australia would be the equivalent of the final boss' lair, unless this is one of those other RPGs where the secret final boss level occurs in the uninhabited place Antarctica, and the penguins explode. Hm, that's Disgaea isn't it....

Sir, you underestimate Australia.. what nature does not provide man invents.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 07, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
Yes we have some of the most venomous snakes and spiders. Fortunately they aren't overly aggressive like some of the Indian and American snakes, so bites and deaths are very rare. For example the Inland Taipan is the most venomous land snake (some of the coral snakes are more venomous). The only confirmed bites from this snake are amongst people that work with them, and none of them fatal. There are 2 - 3 deaths in Australia every year from snake bites. In comparison hundreds die on the roads.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 07, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
Yes we have some of the most venomous snakes and spiders. Fortunately they aren't overly aggressive like some of the Indian and American snakes, so bites and deaths are very rare. For example the Inland Taipan is the most venomous land snake (some of the coral snakes are more venomous). The only confirmed bites from this snake are amongst people that work with them, and none of them fatal. There are 2 - 3 deaths in Australia every year from snake bites. In comparison hundreds die on the roads.

Well, I think that poor healthcare is of bigger effec than snakes being more or less aggressive... and pressure on their habitats.

I'm from Belgium :) I like it here, though I won't stay!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 08, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
That's coincidental, I don't like it and I won't stay :P

Madmonk77

• Knight
  • tiki tiki on the rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Rock-Soft
« Reply #41: April 12, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
URUGUAY!!!
URUGUAY!!!
URUGUAY!!!

Gotta love my country :P
Nico.-

"What else can happen when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?" -- Used to be the player of Vats family. Now I'm the player of Vlad family.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 13, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Re: New Zealand/Australia debate, how about the UK/Irish thing. Now if there's a country in the world that's had enough of being lumped in with it's closest neighbour, it has to be Ireland >.<

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #43: April 25, 2011, 12:57:57 AM »
I come from the Nertherlands.. Amsterdam!!  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 25, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
Sweden.

Currently filling water balloons and composing inspiring battlesongs with which to repel the Jaunian invasion.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)