Author Topic: SF ability  (Read 26373 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
SF ability
« Topic Start: April 20, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Perdan has an SF centre with decent training and equipment values (60-70%). I recruited a unit of them once, and they were not ranged, did not charge and did considerably fewer hits in melee than an infantry unit of comparable CS. Would this mean they have some esoteric ability that I didn't get the chance to see, or that they're just a crap unit?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: SF ability
« Reply #1: April 20, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
As far as I know, SF don't have "surprise ranged weapons". If they have a ranged ability, it will say so right at the recruitment center, and their range is as told there. At least, I've never seen that number being wrong.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 20, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »
I know. "Ranged" seems to be one of the potential SF abilities, and I mentioned it just to confirm that this unit does not have it.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 20, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
I'm still thinking these 'special abilities' are machinations, but this seems to suggest otherwise. Perhaps they're good against fortifications? In woods? resistant to charges?:) please let us know if you find out!

egamma

« Reply #4: April 21, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
Some SF (there's another thread by the way, old one) may have scaling ability--like a built-in siege engine.

Or, it's possible that the new SF centers don't have special abilities, just the ones that Tom tinkered with years ago.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 25, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
Perdan has an SF centre with decent training and equipment values (60-70%). I recruited a unit of them once, and they were not ranged, did not charge and did considerably fewer hits in melee than an infantry unit of comparable CS. Would this mean they have some esoteric ability that I didn't get the chance to see, or that they're just a crap unit?

Those values aren't actually very good for SF, on average.

SF are not always very effective. We have a number in Astrum that are 70ish weapons, 50ish armor, with 70 training and they are simply not worth recruiting. They can hit hard (if they don't get shot up by archers on the way in) but they are guaranteed to take heavy casualties in the melee thanks to their mediocre armor, and that gets very expensive very quickly when you consider that they attract a lot of attention. And frankly, they don't hit *that* hard. My character Rowan died leading about 70 of them. They used to come in swinging for 1k+ hits in the first round, but in the second round that would typically drop to half of what they inflicted previously.

If you go for SF, look for high equipment ratings and training. That's what makes them so good in the first place. SF with only medium values in these areas are generally overpriced for what you're getting, or at least that is my experience with them. There is no such thing as a 'good deal' when it comes to SF, unless you have time to take a unit with good equipment and only average training and train them up until they're nasty.

egamma

« Reply #6: April 25, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »
They used to come in swinging for 1k+ hits in the first round, but in the second round that would typically drop to half of what they inflicted previously.

Is that due to casualties, or do you think they might have had a charge attack?

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: April 25, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »
Those values aren't actually very good for SF, on average.

SF are not always very effective. We have a number in Astrum that are 70ish weapons, 50ish armor, with 70 training and they are simply not worth recruiting. They can hit hard (if they don't get shot up by archers on the way in) but they are guaranteed to take heavy casualties in the melee thanks to their mediocre armor, and that gets very expensive very quickly when you consider that they attract a lot of attention. And frankly, they don't hit *that* hard. My character Rowan died leading about 70 of them. They used to come in swinging for 1k+ hits in the first round, but in the second round that would typically drop to half of what they inflicted previously.

If you go for SF, look for high equipment ratings and training. That's what makes them so good in the first place. SF with only medium values in these areas are generally overpriced for what you're getting, or at least that is my experience with them. There is no such thing as a 'good deal' when it comes to SF, unless you have time to take a unit with good equipment and only average training and train them up until they're nasty.

Our days of suffering are over! We have a decent ranged SF RC now  8)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 26, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »
My character is keen on recruiting a 5 range SF with ~70% training and equipment quality and cost 98G. On the other hand, another non-ranged SF with 100/80 equipment and probably 85% training, cost about 120G. Which one is worth recruiting?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: April 26, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
My character is keen on recruiting a 5 range SF with ~70% training and equipment quality and cost 98G. On the other hand, another non-ranged SF with 100/80 equipment and probably 85% training, cost about 120G. Which one is worth recruiting?

WTF?! 100/80 non SF center? Never seen that before. Well 100/80 is probably a better choice in my opinion.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 26, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
He said non-ranged SF, not non-SF.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 26, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
Updates: The 100/80 melee SF have 95% training. They have charge ability and take less casualties (probably due to high armour rating)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:01:15 AM by Cren »
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 26, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
WTF?! 100/80 non SF center? Never seen that before.

There is also an infantry RC with 90/80 equipment. Another example is of a MI RC with 85/85 rating.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: April 26, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »

Ah. Sorry misread it. It is up to your play style really. If you want ranged units, get those ranged SF units but you like fighting up close, then get 100/80.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 27, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

Should have used melee word instead of non-ranged.