Author Topic: SF ability  (Read 26738 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: SF ability
« Reply #15: April 27, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
I have an infantry RC with 90/90

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 28, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
Has it been confirmed by a dev that all SF's have a special ability?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 28, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »
Has it been confirmed by a dev that all SF's have a special ability?

This has neither been confirmed nor denied officially.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 29, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »
I'm still thinking these 'special abilities' are machinations, but this seems to suggest otherwise. Perhaps they're good against fortifications? In woods? resistant to charges?:) please let us know if you find out!

Might be something to this. Thalmarkin's Vorian Elite really seem to come into their own against Daimons. My unit of ~35 generates more hits than even larger cavalry units doing a charge, and set to a wedge formation takes fewer hits than infantry units set to box. I don't think my C being a Hero has anything to do with it, as roughly 1/3 of all unit commanders in Thalmarkin are Heroes, many also leading SF (There are two different flavors available, the second kind sorta meh statswise).

They one-shot monsters and stuff too but seem to take more casualties from less hits for whatever reason. Haven't had a chance to field them against other humans, and probably won't for the foreseeable future. They're 95 training and 95/60 equipment.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 29, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
don't know about special.. but my 70 sf (88/70 melee 60 odd training and 40 odd cohesion) did 1.5k dmg to horrors in its 1st round of close combat.. then lost 50 or so troops and dealt 400 odd dmg. lost another 4 then dealt ~200, lost another 6 and legged it

it wasn't charging.. at least it didn't say it is
firefox

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 29, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Is it really worth it to keep special abilities hidden? /If/ there are things like siege bonuses, I really doubt anyone would notice. It would be much better strategy-wise to let players know that kind of thing.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 29, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
This has neither been confirmed nor denied officially.

I hate whining, so I'm definitely not going that (I'm whining), but telling the player base more about SF, and RCs in general is a promise that was made that has been put off many months. I can't see any harm that would come from demystifying them, and can see a great deal of fun and strategy that could result. I hope this will stop being put off soon.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 30, 2012, 07:40:55 AM »
I hate whining, so I'm definitely not going that (I'm whining), but telling the player base more about SF, and RCs in general is a promise that was made that has been put off many months. I can't see any harm that would come from demystifying them, and can see a great deal of fun and strategy that could result. I hope this will stop being put off soon.

I have pushed for years for more information behind the SF abilities made public, but it's not my decision to make, and I don't have time to refit that battle at the moment.  Someone else can make the case to Tom, or I'll do it again some months down the line when I do have time.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 30, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »
I have pushed for years for more information behind the SF abilities made public...

That would be awesome  :D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 30, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
People dont like figuring things out for themselves anymore....that was the best part of the game, learning by experimenting and making mistakes then not telling anyone else after you figured it out.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 01, 2012, 02:48:52 AM »
People dont like figuring things out for themselves anymore....that was the best part of the game, learning by experimenting and making mistakes then not telling anyone else after you figured it out.

There are things which are great not to know, so you can learn them while you play, but if the SF special abilities are so random and specific (and we don't really know if and how much the can be), then it's less something that we will discover IG, and more a random factor. Or would you be able to tell if some SFs give siege bonuses, for example?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 01, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »

I can definitively state that the devs were in agreement that figuring this part of the game out by testing and experimentation is effectively possible.  There were (and as far as I know, still are) disagreements on whether to grant OOC knowledge, or change things in the game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 01, 2012, 05:22:47 AM »
Perhaps we could just get a list of possible abilities? Its a lot harder to look for an ability that you don't  know of than to look for an ability you know exists. Ex. charge ability, siege, extra defence, and fast at healing. Whether or not those are the actual abilities, I don't know but if we got a list that would be much appreciated just so we know what to look for.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 01, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
I would also like to know what happens to the SF abilities if you recruit from two different SF RCs.  Do you get both, neither?  I have not tried recruiting from an infantry and range 5, due to lack of oportunity, has anyone else tried it?

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: May 01, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
I would also like to know what happens to the SF abilities if you recruit from two different SF RCs.  Do you get both, neither?  I have not tried recruiting from an infantry and range 5, due to lack of oportunity, has anyone else tried it?

I believe you lose abilities if you mix two different SF units together. Well at least when you mix ranged and melee you lose the range.