Author Topic: SF ability  (Read 26412 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: SF ability
« Reply #30: May 01, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
If you lose the special ability, then I would REALLY suggest making it imposible to recruit from different SF RCs.  Perhaps allowing if they have the same ability, but I think that would require exposing the secret of their ability.  Or at the very least labling them somehow: SFa, SFb, SFc.  With "a", "b", "c" not standing for anything other than as a way of distinguishing between the types of skills.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 01, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
If you lose the special ability, then I would REALLY suggest making it imposible to recruit from different SF RCs.  Perhaps allowing if they have the same ability, but I think that would require exposing the secret of their ability.  Or at the very least labling them somehow: SFa, SFb, SFc.  With "a", "b", "c" not standing for anything other than as a way of distinguishing between the types of skills.

Please do the research to solidly verify your premises before you start making requests for changes.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 01, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
Please do the research to solidly verify your premises before you start making requests for changes.

It's kind of hard to have well-informed opinions when the game mechanics are intentionally obfuscated
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 01, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
It's kind of hard to have well-informed opinions when the game mechanics are intentionally obfuscated

All I ask is that you not make requests for changes when all you have are guesses and vague impressions about the things you're asking to have changed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 01, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
I said IF. 
I have not been able to do much research on the matter.  I can start doing that now.  I am fine with having to figure out what the ability is.  But if a certain function of SF troops is already widely known, I do not feel bad for requesting that information.
Also, I was forced to recruit from a variety of SF RCs already.  And if their ability is gone, I do not want to start trying to figure out an ability that no longer exists.

egamma

« Reply #35: May 01, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
There's three possibilities.

One, that your troops retain whatever special ability that the first RC has, similar to archer range.
Two, that you lose the special ability when you recruit from multiple RCs.
Three, that the special abilities stack.

I think the third option is the least likely.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 01, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
Least likely but most AWESOME! 

A range 5 charging archer that shoots as it moves and destroys walls!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 01, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »
If you see one of those, make sure you save a copy of the report...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #38: May 02, 2012, 07:37:04 AM »
Least likely but most AWESOME! 

A range 5 charging archer that shoots as it moves and destroys walls!

Aka, Fang Fang.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 02, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
Ok, I had some confusions regarding ranged SF. Do they perform poorly at melee combat? Do they have any special ability or range itself is one?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 02, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
Ok, I had some confusions regarding ranged SF. Do they perform poorly at melee combat? Do they have any special ability or range itself is one?

They're not too shabby in melee combat, e.g.

Horrors (3) fire on Berserkerers (4), scoring 4115 hits.
Berserkerers (4) fire on Horrors (1), scoring 512 hits.
Total ranged hits suffered: Attackers: 1211, Defenders: 4115
Horrors (2) fly towards the defenders.
Horrors (1) charge forward.

Close Combat (Defender Line 3):
Horrors (1) score 1782 hits on Berserkerers (4) (7707 before overkill).
Berserkerers (4) score 382 hits on Horrors (1).
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #41: May 02, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »

Range is not a special ability.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 02, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »
How do you know? Some SF apparently have a "charge" like Cavalry. I assume that counts as a special ability. Why would ranged attacks like Archers not count?

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 02, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I would say the extra range (ie range 5) could be the special ability.  No non-SF troops have that range.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 02, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
I could imagine ranged SF units to be less affected by wind?