Author Topic: SF ability  (Read 26795 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: SF ability
« Reply #60: May 03, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
... you mean they fart out arrows?
firefox

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: May 03, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
Sounds painful.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: May 03, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
... you mean they fart out arrows?

I didn't think of that. Maybe it makes more sense!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: May 04, 2012, 01:55:17 AM »
don't xbow go... pretty much in a straight line (as opposed to bows which goes in a parabola or some such)?

Physics fun fact:
Everything will travel in a parabolic arc so long as there are no other forces acting on it other than gravity.  Wind and air resistance will change the parabola, but it is still essentially a parabola.
As to the point of this statement, I have no idea which has a longer range.  I think bows did.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: May 04, 2012, 04:01:49 AM »
Physics fun fact:
Everything will travel in a parabolic arc so long as there are no other forces acting on it other than gravity.  Wind and air resistance will change the parabola, but it is still essentially a parabola.
As to the point of this statement, I have no idea which has a longer range.  I think bows did.

Very true. Bullets also travel in a parabolic arc. The difference is higher velocity generally means a parabolic arc that approaches a "straight line" for a given target distance.

Greater distance can be achieved (to a a point) by increasing the angle of fire and increasing the parabolic arc. Anyone that has played artillery games like Scorched Earth would be familiar with this. I believe this is what fodder was thinking about. On the battlefield bows would fire volleys in high arcs to increase their range, at the cost of not being able to accurately aim at single targets. I am reasonably sure that crossbows would do the same. As the selected target moves closer obviously the angle of fire would be reduced to compensate.

I own a WW2 vintage Lee-Enfield rifle. The Iron sights allow for shots of several miles by firing at a 45 degree angle. Of course with the weapon in that position accurately aiming is impossible but I suppose rifle volley would work just as well as a arrow volley, its just not a efficient use of ammo.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: May 04, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »
Very true. Bullets also travel in a parabolic arc. The difference is higher velocity generally means a parabolic arc that approaches a "straight line" for a given target distance.

Greater distance can be achieved (to a a point) by increasing the angle of fire and increasing the parabolic arc. Anyone that has played artillery games like Scorched Earth would be familiar with this. I believe this is what fodder was thinking about. On the battlefield bows would fire volleys in high arcs to increase their range, at the cost of not being able to accurately aim at single targets. I am reasonably sure that crossbows would do the same. As the selected target moves closer obviously the angle of fire would be reduced to compensate.

To get maximum range, one needs to fire at 45 degree angle. Interesting thing is whether the body is projected at x degree or (90-x) degree, it would strike the ground at the same place.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: May 04, 2012, 08:28:48 AM »
Physics fun fact:

Whenever a body moves under an acceleration whose direction is different from the direction of initial velocity, the body executes projectile motion. Only exception is when the direction of acceleration vector is opposite that of displacement vector. Also the initial velocity of the projectile should not be very large otherwise wind resistance would not be negligible.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:56:31 AM by Cren »
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: May 04, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
The relevance levels in this thread are off the charts!
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: May 04, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
found some stuff about bows and xbows.. (in fact.. a whole bleeding forum about old weapons)
http://netsword.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

i was thinking xbows were used more close up and goes through armor.. as opposed to bows.. long ranged.. but i don't know. depends on the xbow i guess...

anyway... eh.. any hint about whether ranged sf when mixed with say.. charging sf.... gets to keep both (in certain circumstances)?
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #69: May 04, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
When you cut the stock off of a shotgun it becomes less accurate because you can't hold it up to your shoulder to fire. Or, you could but you'd hurt yourself. Same goes with a rifle; you're pretty much resigned to firing it from the hip, which is not nearly as accurate as shoulder-firing and using the sights. It does not reduce the range of the projectiles you are firing but it reduces the effective range by wrecking accuracy.

It was a joke, anyways. I can think of reasons for it but there's no reason to give a comprehensive list since it's up to the person doing it to RP it out.

Yeah, I wanna know if range in and of itself is counted as a special ability. It really could be, since by all accounts they still bust faces in melee, unlike archers.

Still trying to figure out why you are talking about cutting the stock off a shotgun, when it's the barrel people cut off in a "sawn-off" shotgun...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: May 04, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
Greater concealment. Easier to get under your coat when you get rid of that foot long hunk of wood from the end.

Which is usually why you chop off the barrel, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: May 04, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
The ranged SF are not that good in melee as everyone is advertising around. They are quite the same as Archers. For instance, thats a 32 man archer units performance.

Strong winds and gusts are making ranged combat a game of luck.

Elite Rangers (1) fire on Monsters (2), scoring 365 hits.

Elite Rangers (1) score 212 hits on Monsters (2)

Aren't they good?

Edit: They were designated as vanguard and set in box formation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:21:36 PM by Cren »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #72: May 04, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
could we see some training and weapons stats? from what I see, that unit probably has full cohesion, high training, and high weaponry. otherwise they would have much less ranged hits with winds that strong.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: May 04, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
One anecdotal round of combat is mostly useless as evidence of anything.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: May 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
shoot and whack probably doesn't do as well as plain old stand and whack
firefox