Author Topic: Worst Recruitment Center  (Read 15118 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Recruitment Center
« Reply #15: April 22, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
A RC's worth usually has to do with the troops CS(range)/cost.

Cost does not seem to be determined by CS of the troops only.

Troops who have poor equipment and  training can be quite worth the purchase if they are dirt cheap and their planned use justifies it. For example, in Enweil I remember that one of our most prized centres provided troops for 15 gold per 10 men, I believe.

I was personally wealthy enough to hire a looting unit of 110+ of our finest archers, but I was quite happy to have that RC around for others and just in case. We did a lot of looting, where numbers mattered more than CS/man.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 22, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
Perdan used to have two centers in Brive that were intentionally poor. I forget the name, something like Brive Citizen Militia. They were very low quality, like 20/15/20 or something. Both centers were size 2, and were recruited by TO units, large police forces, etc. This was back when Bureaucrats did not have restricted recruiting. Our judge had a 150-man police unit.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 22, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Perdan used to have two centers in Brive that were intentionally poor. I forget the name, something like Brive Citizen Militia. They were very low quality, like 20/15/20 or something. Both centers were size 2, and were recruited by TO units, large police forces, etc. This was back when Bureaucrats did not have restricted recruiting. Our judge had a 150-man police unit.

Only size two? Very few people must have been using it, size two offers a pretty crappy cap for available troops and recruitment rate, especially if you consider the size these units will tend to be and the losses they are likely to suffer in battle.

Having two of them is good, of course, but they should at least be size 3! :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 22, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »
Rural region, max size of 2. We were always telling people to not recruit from the Brive RCs. Whenever we needed it, the lord stopped by for some drafting. Since it's mostly for TO units, which you don't usually need to refill, you usually didn't care if ti was empty.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 22, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
Rural region, max size of 2. We were always telling people to not recruit from the Brive RCs. Whenever we needed it, the lord stopped by for some drafting. Since it's mostly for TO units, which you don't usually need to refill, you usually didn't care if ti was empty.

Ah, indeed.

Ours were more for looting than takeovers, so battles were frequent and likely, and more than 1 person was expected to bring a lot of men to the front.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 22, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
I think that at the time Perdan had 2 or 3 TO units. They followed a region behind the army, so only got into battle by accident.

Also, this is one reason why we never used marshal formations back in the day. That was when marshals took control of the entire realm in battle, not just their army. And no one wanted a TO unit lining up on Front. :P

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 24, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »
Is there still a need for TO units with the new system?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 24, 2012, 03:40:14 AM »
Is there still a need for TO units with the new system?

Yes and no. You don't need a single large unit to start the TO. However the effect of TO actions is proportional to the troops numbers, so you want large cheap units to speed up the process.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 24, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
Yes and no. You don't need a single large unit to start the TO. However the effect of TO actions is proportional to the troops numbers, so you want large cheap units to speed up the process.

Small strong units for battle, large weak units for everything else. That's what you want.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 24, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
I go for big strong units and that covers everything.  Costs alot more gold, but even my knight character finds a way to make it work.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 24, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »
I go for big strong units and that covers everything.  Costs alot more gold, but even my knight character finds a way to make it work.

How big do you think is "big"? How strong do you think "strong"? I suspect different have different expectations for these numbers.... as well it should be.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 25, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
Infantry center   Infantry   40   10 / 50

Average Center in Ohnar West.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 26, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
A cavalry RC named  "Luna's hooves" 15/20 equipment and 15% training.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 23, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
Well, after some time very inactive for exams and the such, I just sought a bit in case there was a post like this one. Ohnar has been trying to make decent RC's for more than a month or so, but this is just an example of our efforts and the natural reaction.

Report from Melehan Lefanis   (12 days, 9 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (17 recipients)

Another mediocre centre.

Middling Warriors Infantry 40 45 / 50
Useless Center Infantry 0 0 / 0

Melehan Lefanis, Priest of The Way of the Dragon
Minister of Justice of Ohnar West, Earl of Sanzzos

Letter from Wilhelm Altenahr   (19 days ago)

By the Gods! Is there a curse on Ohnar West? It takes us 20 attempts to make one good recruitment center. After all these attempts we have only 2 useful recruitment centers. What is wrong with the volunteers in the realm! Fat soft runners for the most part.

Wilhelm Altenahr (Knight of Nbasah)

You see, after taking on the hordes of monsters and undead that pop constantly, we have one national sport in Ohnar: HUNT THOSE HEALTHY VILLAGERS!!!  ;D
D'Espana Family

egamma

« Reply #29: June 23, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
Well, after some time very inactive for exams and the such, I just sought a bit in case there was a post like this one. Ohnar has been trying to make decent RC's for more than a month or so, but this is just an example of our efforts and the natural reaction.

Report from Melehan Lefanis   (12 days, 9 hours ago)

Another mediocre centre.

Middling Warriors Infantry 40 45 / 50
Useless Center Infantry 0 0 / 0

Melehan Lefanis, Priest of The Way of the Dragon
Minister of Justice of Ohnar West, Earl of Sanzzos

Letter from Wilhelm Altenahr   (19 days ago)

By the Gods! Is there a curse on Ohnar West? It takes us 20 attempts to make one good recruitment center. After all these attempts we have only 2 useful recruitment centers. What is wrong with the volunteers in the realm! Fat soft runners for the most part.

Wilhelm Altenahr (Knight of Nbasah)

You see, after taking on the hordes of monsters and undead that pop constantly, we have one national sport in Ohnar: HUNT THOSE HEALTHY VILLAGERS!!!  ;D

Okay, we're done now. Nobody can be 0/0/0.

Seriously though, that should go on the bugtracker.