Author Topic: Stronghold locations  (Read 12666 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold locations
« Reply #15: April 25, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
Meh. They don't need to be revealed... I just need to get myself a stronghold somewhere so I can play around with it a bit. :)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #16: April 25, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Meh. They don't need to be revealed... I just need to get myself a stronghold somewhere so I can play around with it a bit. :)

When you figure it out, let me know. I've been duke of a stronghold for years and never noticed any special perks. But then again, I've never had a city so I can't compare the two.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 25, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
When you figure it out, let me know. I've been duke of a stronghold for years and never noticed any special perks. But then again, I've never had a city so I can't compare the two.

I've got a couple of cities sitting around...just got to myself a stronghold!

This might actually make a decent small project hmm?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 25, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
wags....

... cheaper rc? more room for "workshops"? cheaper militia?
firefox

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 26, 2012, 12:18:32 AM »
They have access to pretty much all economic buildings (they're like a city with a scouts guild pretty much), have cheaper fortifications, can have a bank if the capital is moved there, are self-sufficient food-wise, and... actually, that's all I can think of at the moment.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #20: April 26, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
Hear hear, the revealer of secrets and tellers of non-conf-lies will sell the mysterious book "Secrets of Strongholds" for a mere 200 gold or bonds.  Contact him for further information.  He also accepts cash or cheque, but you have to sign a disclaimer absolving all responsibilities as a human being before sending payment.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 26, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »
Like I said, they are obscure, but nice.

Whether or not they can be revealed is not my decision.

Let me take a crack at it.  One of the things that I remember is that their walls can be upgraded past level 6.

Various regions have preferences for recruitment center types.  I'm betting they have a higher than all other region type chance of making special forces, and generally have higher values in training and armor/weapons.  Something tells me that the rate they fill up with recruits is also special.  Either drafts have little effect on morale or reduced.  Higher values of draftees, or higher natural replenishment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:12:25 AM by loren »

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: April 26, 2012, 02:15:21 AM »
Let me take a crack at it.  One of the things that I remember is that their walls can be upgraded past level 6.

Various regions have preferences for recruitment center types.  I'm betting they have a higher than all other region type chance of making special forces, and generally have higher values in training and armor/weapons.  Something tells me that the rate they fill up with recruits is also special.  Either drafts have little effect on morale or reduced.  Higher values of draftees, or higher natural replenishment.

Why don't we collect some data and see if your theory is right or not?

I am the lord of Shrine of Seeklander, probably the biggest fortress on dwilight. Here are the RCs I got after almost spending 3k gold.

40 95/50 inf - 15 recruits per day Size 3
50 95/50 cav - 5 recruits per day Size 2
55 80-5/75 SF - 3 recruits per day Size 2

From observing my region, for both inf and cav centers I got low def while the SF center had more balanced stats with low training.

The regions has 10700 population.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 26, 2012, 02:41:09 AM »
them recruit per days seems exactly the same as my 10k townsland in bt.
firefox

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 26, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »

I hear Nuzanki is pretty nice this time of year.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 26, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »
That sounds nice on paper, but falls down very quickly once you put it into the game. Just look at the wars that have happened around the lake on Atamara. Both sides of the bridges have townslands on them and max. level 2 walls. Every single war I have seen fought over there during my 5+ years of playing have devolved into staring matches across the bridge and an occasional assault or two. Add in a stronghold on either side with level 5 walls and it just turns into a war that isn't any fun at all.

+1

Don't get me wrong, at first I am like "yeah!" The idea sounds cool, but realistically if strongholds were placed at true geographic choke-points, we would see even more massive stalemates at those choke-points than we already have.

Imagine if there was a stronghold on either side of Cantril on Atamara right now.  :o
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

« Reply #26: April 26, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
You can go around the stronghold by using mountains if you want to go around. Having a stronghold should count for something. If you take the stronghold though, you will gain an immense advantage. You can always attack your enemy's stronghold by surprise. Gather your men and declare war as you attack the stronghold. Take it before your enemies can react. Sounds dirty but that is how many strongholds were lost.

Or making walls of strongholds weaker if you attack it from the behind. Most of the strongholds had taller walls on one side while lower walls on the other.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:33:26 AM by Zakilevo »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 26, 2012, 04:31:47 AM »
Go loren! :) Some pretty interesting stuff there.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 26, 2012, 05:20:40 AM »
You can go around the stronghold by using mountains if you want or going around. Having a stronghold should count for something. If you take the stronghold though, you will gain an immense advantage. You can always attack your enemy's stronghold by surprise. Gather your men and declare war as you attack the stronghold. Take it before your enemies can react. Sounds dirty but that is how many strongholds were lost.

Or making walls of strongholds weaker if you attack it from the behind. Most of the strongholds had taller walls on one side while lower walls on the other.

I feel like strongholds should have held more spots like Balance's retreat. Either really isolated, or, even better, as the shortest path between areas (imagine Balance's Retreat with a back door, and with more mountains around the mountains).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: April 26, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »
I feel like strongholds should have held more spots like Balance's retreat. Either really isolated, or, even better, as the shortest path between areas (imagine Balance's Retreat with a back door, and with more mountains around the mountains).

Yeah. Many were placed to force your enemies to take a longer route to their destination.