Author Topic: Mobile Site  (Read 18092 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Mobile Site
« Topic Start: April 25, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
There are some weird quirks in the BattleMaster site when I use my iPod Touch.  Are there any plans to make a mobile-device-friendly site? 

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Site
« Reply #1: April 25, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
There are some weird quirks in the BattleMaster site when I use my iPod Touch.  Are there any plans to make a mobile-device-friendly site?

Not only are there plans, but Solari is working on it right now. (We finally have someone on the dev team with both the time and the expertise to do something useful about it! :D )
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 25, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Not only are there plans, but Solari is working on it right now. (We finally have someone on the dev team with both the time and the expertise to do something useful about it! :D )

Aww, crap.  Now I HAVE to get working.  Just waiting on SVN and repo access from Tom.  I'll look at making some temporary tweaks to the current site.  Especially for message background colors and page width.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 25, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
Try using the current mobile site: http://m.battlemaster.org

It is a bit easier on mobile devices.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 01, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
I suppose it might have some issues to be ironed out, but that mobile site solves the bigger issues I was having.  Thanks!

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 04, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
After a marathon debug session with Anaris, my local dev environment is up and running.  Mobile site work will commence very soon.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: May 04, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
Awesome!  Kudos to you and Tim.  Especially Tim for his remote debugging abilities. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 08, 2012, 01:03:21 AM »
Preview of things to come.  All the different UI elements will respond appropriately to mobile-sized screens, and behave as closely to "native" UI elements as HTML and CSS will allow.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:42:12 PM by Solari »

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 08, 2012, 01:08:42 AM »
Wow.

That looks... great!

Although I still say the next big step is a BM iOS/Android app.  ;)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: May 08, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
That is... wow... just wow.

@Perth: Negative. I don't believe in native apps where you already have a perfectly good website.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 08, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
@Perth: Negative. I don't believe in native apps where you already have a perfectly good website.

Oh...  :(

But.. don't you... own an... iPad?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 08, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
Nice, I like it.

On the subject of the mobile site, I often have trouble selecting text in BM using an iPad, specifically messages and individual scribe reports. It'll often select too much or too little and just won't let me highlight exactly what I want. Is that a browser issue (I use Mercury) or a website issue?

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 08, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
Nice, I like it.

On the subject of the mobile site, I often have trouble selecting text in BM using an iPad, specifically messages and individual scribe reports. It'll often select too much or too little and just won't let me highlight exactly what I want. Is that a browser issue (I use Mercury) or a website issue?

Depends on the specific circumstances.  If it's regular text outside of an input box, it could be that the line spacing or some other style attribute is messing with the text selection process.  If it's in an input box, it's almost certainly the new-fangled text editor.  Fortunately, we should have neither of those problems with the mobile site.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 08, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
Index page.  The themed bars you see are collapsible sets.  There's more text in each of them.  I'm probably going to use them in several other places.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 08, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
Looks good. :)

Do you want us to put ideas/suggestions/problems with the current mobile site here?