Author Topic: Amalur  (Read 2649 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Amalur
« Topic Start: April 27, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Just got my hands on Kingdoms of Amalur... I was wondering what to do after getting over Skyrim, but it seems there won't be any down time  ;D

I like the graphics a lot, it just feels... Different. The combat system is amazing (though magic seems a bit clunky). Faeblades (reminded me of a bat'leth)! It always bothered me that RPGs in "alternate" worlds always had the same sword/axe combinations...

Don't think I'll be booting up Skyrim for a while, at least until they boot over oblivion/morrowind, or the DLC is released  :)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Amalur
« Reply #1: April 27, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
CHEESE! FOR EVERYONE!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 28, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4D9AJWmJAg&feature=relmfu

Looks a lot like Fable? Not too fond of that, seems so cartoonesque and a lot like any of a dozen MMO's. How's this better?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 28, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »

Looks a lot like Fable? Not too fond of that, seems so cartoonesque and a lot like any of a dozen MMO's. How's this better?

The combat is amazingly, awesomely, intuitively, wonderfully fun.  The only thing I would do to fix it is give some way to choose your targets at range, but most of the time, the game target picks just the way I want.

You can teleport through someone, damaging them as you go, hitting them with your shield of pain, toss them into the air with your burning and freezing discs of death, send said discs of death arcing through them as they fall slowly back to earth, throw a harpoon into them and jerk them back into your suddenly weapon-switched staff which then bats them flying through the air, and as their broken body bounces across the ground you can drop a meteor which turns the entire area around you into a blasted, molten hellscape from the sheer intensity of the flame.

And it is exactly as much fun as it sounds, and even easier to do than it was to write.

And that is only one of the possible class combinations that you can do!!!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: April 28, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »

It's actually really well done and very detailed.  The style was likely just chosen for a more fantasy feel.  Which it does quite nicely.

Only played the demo, but loved it.