Author Topic: Duchy alignment change when kicked out of estate  (Read 2396 times)

lorduck

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Here's the scenario:

On Dwilight, Palm Sea is part of Duchy Drowenton, and therefore the Lord has pledged allegiance to Duke of Drowenton.  The Lord then gets kicked out because of unruly peasants.  His allegiance is then changed to the Duchy of Fissoa.  Is that what is supposed to happen?

It seems to me that one's allegiance wouldn't change simply because some peasants get all uppity.

I believe a similar situation happened with the Lord of Nuas, who was kicked when the region went rogue.  We took it back, but I believe it's the same issue.  Haven't gotten confirmation from the player yet.

If this behavior is not how the game mechanics should work I will gladly submit a bug report.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
These days, one's allegiance is determined by one's estate. If one has no estate (and is not a Lord or Duke), one cannot be in a Duchy.

If someone without an estate is showing up as being in the Duchy of Fissoa, I believe that is itself a bug, regardless of how they got to that state.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Does the lord have an estate in the Duchy of Fissoa?  This conversation really belongs on the bugtracker.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

lorduck

• Freeman
    • View Profile
These days, one's allegiance is determined by one's estate. If one has no estate (and is not a Lord or Duke), one cannot be in a Duchy.

If someone without an estate is showing up as being in the Duchy of Fissoa, I believe that is itself a bug, regardless of how they got to that state.

Sounds like a bug to me given what I have from the player in question.  I'll post in bug tracker.

For what it's worth, I can understand how allegiance is tied to estates, but there ought to be a way to re-install a lord who was just kicked from their estate.  As it stands the former Lord has to take an estate in Duchy Drowenton before being reassigned.  If there were no estates available in the duchy, it would require someone making one simply for the purpose of allowing the character to change allegiance.

From an RP perspective, I would think that it would make sense that actively taking an estate would change one's allegiance, but involuntarily losing an estate would not.

lorduck

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Correction, Anaris re-opened my original bug, so I'll wait to start a new bug report.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
You should be able to reinstall any lord without an estate, i.e. with no allegiance except to the realm at large.  Otherwise it is a bug.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.