Author Topic: Recruit more units  (Read 8776 times)

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
Recruit more units
« Topic Start: April 30, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
I noticed than when I recruit more units - adding to the ones I have already - the weapon stat percentage improves if the new units' stats are better.

example: a unit with 30/20 becomes 34/20 after adding 6 men with 40/30.

Does just the weapon stat go up, or will the armor one go up as well eventually? And how does this work? Is there a way of calculating it?
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Recruit more units
« Reply #1: April 30, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
Your unit stats are averages, so yes they all change.

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 30, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
And is there a way of discarding some of the old ones (without discarding the new ones), or do I wait for them to die in battle?

And, can I discard a group but keep its captain?

sorry for the questions-flood
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 30, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
there's no old one and new one.. it's averaged... you can't keep captain without keeping at least 1 man
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 30, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
And is there a way of discarding some of the old ones (without discarding the new ones), or do I wait for them to die in battle?

And, can I discard a group but keep its captain?

sorry for the questions-flood

You can drop only part of your unit as militia and keep its captain. If you drop all of it however you lose your captain. As long as you have one man remaining, the captain stays.

There is no way, however, to discard only the old ones. When you drop half your units the stats remain the same.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: April 30, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Technically you could drop down to the minimum number, recruit the best troops you can get...  And continue the process until you are at least awfully close to the troops you want as the averaging out would keep going up.

It'd just be very costly, very time consuming, and make whoever is margrave of the region you're dropping all this militia into hate you.

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 30, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
So if I understand properly both armor and weapons stats will go up eventually improving the average. right?

Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #7: April 30, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
If you keep recruiting men with better equipment than the ones you have, yes. It can also go the other way around though.

Dhalgren

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 30, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
I see all mixed infantry recruitment centers in my realm have really poor stats, how does one improve a recruitment center? Do they improve with the economy of the region improving or do they require improving by the local lord?
Ven - RIP
Orb - Beluaterra

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 30, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
I see all mixed infantry recruitment centers in my realm have really poor stats, how does one improve a recruitment center? Do they improve with the economy of the region improving or do they require improving by the local lord?

They don't improve; they can only be enlarged to provide more of the same.

When a region lord builds a new center he randomly gets a set of stats and they don't change. If he finds the stats are not good enough, he can tear it down and build a new one. Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied or out of money.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 30, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Hmm Captains captain captains. They are great for rp purposes.

Think well ever be able to keep the same captain and recruit a different type of unit? is that plausible?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 30, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »
Think well ever be able to keep the same captain and recruit a different type of unit? is that plausible?
No, and no. Captains are intentionally tied to the unit. Lose the unit, lose the captain. This will not change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 30, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Why?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 30, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
Why?

Captains are intended as incentives for keeping the same unit. If this were to be allowed, it would involve keeping only the name, and losing the bonus.

Also, due to the way the code and database are structured, it would be quite difficult to allow you to "save" a captain between one unit and another. Definitely far beyond the RP benefit gained by being able to keep the same captain.

Remember, a captain is just one of the members of the unit. If you disband the unit, or otherwise lose it...the captain was one of those soldiers you just lost.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 30, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »
Remember, a captain is just one of the members of the unit. If you disband the unit, or otherwise lose it...the captain was one of those soldiers you just lost.

Awesome way to look at it. Those other men are his friends now, battle buddies. You're just the lofty, unknowable nobleman who cuts him a check. Also if he's an archer perhaps he's not a real good horseman, or swords guy.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.