Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend  (Read 12946 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Tribes:Ascend
« Topic Start: May 02, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
This is a free FPS of excellent quality. As earlier games in the series, the gameplay revolves around shooting and skiing.

Basically you're in a suit of armor with a jetpack, and whenever it's downhill you can ski without any friction. This allows for high speeds, above 200KPH is not uncommon. Luckily the maps are ranging from gigantic to humongous.

Three armor types exist (Light, Medium and Heavy), each divided into three classes covering all aspects of gameplay. The main game mode is CTF, though Team Deathmatch (with a twist), Arena and ranked matches are available.

At the start you only have 3 classes available. You can or purchase gold and unlock all other classes (and extra weapons + slight powerups), or gather XP and unlock things more slowly. In general I hate games where free accounts have a disadvantage, but this is no real issue here. The gameplay is heavily reliant on skill, because most weapons use projectiles (so you need to estimate where your enemy will be, again, at high speed).

So far I've played a few dozen hours and unlocked the Pathfinder, Juggernaut and Soldier (3 default), the Sentinel (sniper) and Raider. They all offer very different gameplay experience, and each have a unique role on the battlefield!

This game is fast, and relies on skill as well as teamplay. A great overall FPS! And FREE!

Anyways, let me know if you're up for a game, and add me. Shizzler :)

Zakilevo

Re: Tribes:Ascend
« Reply #1: May 02, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
My account name is Zakilevo. Downloading the game at the moment. Looks pretty decent.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 02, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
Game is awesome. Ingame name is Slapsticks.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: May 02, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
half way done installing. hehe can't wait to play :) probably gonna get streamrolled though. until I get used to it.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 02, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »
half way done installing. hehe can't wait to play :) probably gonna get streamrolled though. until I get used to it.

Play pathfinder and just ski around and chase down cappers when you can. Eventually you'll get the hang of how to ski as well as a few good routes on each map so you can start capping effectively.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 02, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
Can't find Slapsticks or Zakilevo.

I'm on the Europe - Amsterdam server, though

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: May 02, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
maybe because I haven't logged in yet? I will add you once I finish installing the game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 02, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »
maybe because I haven't logged in yet? I will add you once I finish installing the game.

great :) also, when you get the XP, don't get the sentinel or the raider. I dislike both :p

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 02, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
great :) also, when you get the XP, don't get the sentinel or the raider. I dislike both :p

Raider is boss, what are you talking about?

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: May 02, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »
oh god I can't see my mouse cursor lol

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 02, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
Raider is boss, what are you talking about?

I've only used it once, didn't like it's main weapon. Though I had that on all classes so far :P I'll get into it, some day. Any tips in the meantime?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 02, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
I've only used it once, didn't like it's main weapon. Though I had that on all classes so far :P I'll get into it, some day. Any tips in the meantime?

For raider specifically? Get into buildings as you're inaccurate as hell outside (though if you manage to land shots, you can decimate them even outdoors) and use your speed to your advantage since you're the only maneuverable class that works well indoors, you can basically dodge all day and deny areas and hold chokepoints and blow the !@#$ out of structures with ease. Also the shield pack means that you can micro it on when you realize that you're about to be hit, and then turn it back on so you can move around freely again once the nuking's done.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: May 02, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
shizzler added :)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 02, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
For raider specifically? Get into buildings as you're inaccurate as hell outside (though if you manage to land shots, you can decimate them even outdoors) and use your speed to your advantage since you're the only maneuverable class that works well indoors, you can basically dodge all day and deny areas and hold chokepoints and blow the !@#$ out of structures with ease. Also the shield pack means that you can micro it on when you realize that you're about to be hit, and then turn it back on so you can move around freely again once the nuking's done.

I'll give that a try :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: May 02, 2012, 11:58:46 PM »

You will. I still remember good old Tribes (the first part) days. I was fairly good, against newbies on the demo server, on Raindance (the most famous map) I could single-handedly trash the enemy base in heavy armour, and then hold it down for a couple minutes. The "bring your own ammo station" strategy :-)

Tribes 2 was similar, skill was very important, but with the bomber and heavy transport, teamplay also became essential.

I love Tribes and T2, made a couple maps and mods for them.

So they've gone F2P with the third one? Interesting. I might take a look.