Author Topic: Human Nature  (Read 25485 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Human Nature
« Reply #15: March 21, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
That is partly true. Obviously, yes, there were philanderers. But it is rare that I see RPs of conventional marriages, stable relationships, or anything like that. Every RP is some horribly complex drawn out romantic love affair. Which is just bogus.

One of my characters fell deeply in love, and eventually got married, and had a stable relationship with her husband.

However, they weren't really able to "settle down" and have a normal married life until they ceased to be actively played characters.  They left the continent and settled down outside BM, where they weren't being constantly interrupted by the craziness that is life here.

I think part of the problem is that conventional, stable relationships are boring to roleplay about! There's just not enough conflict.  And if you can get one going, there's a good chance it will be upset by one thing or another, BM being what it is.  Maybe your wife will be deported.  Maybe your husband will be executed. 

Maybe there will just be a war, and you won't have time to RP about anything for three months, and then the player playing your husband will have gotten busy with school, and the character gone completely inactive.

And, of course, because there is no game mechanic to model marriage and children, and no consensus whatsoever about how many IG years make up one RL year, there are constant problems figuring out when and whether to have children, how to handle them, etc.

It's certainly not impossible, but there are a lot of perfectly good reasons not to see normal, stable relationships in BM.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan