Author Topic: Human Nature  (Read 25330 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Human Nature
« Reply #45: March 31, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »
This is interesting.

What makes a female character authentically female and not just a male with a female name and refered to as "she"?

Probably the same thing that makes a male character authentically male and not just a female with a male name and referred to as "he".

In general, I have always tried to play my female characters as authentically female.  Not being female myself, I don't consider myself fully qualified to judge the results; however, I have been told by people who are that they are some of the more believable females played by males that they've seen IG.  I couldn't tell you what I actually do; I just try to play them as I think they should actually be if they were real.

It seems to me, though, that a great deal of what we think of as "authentically female" is informed by our culture, which is not necessarily in existence to shape the women of BattleMaster's worlds.  In a society where women truly are considered equal to men, would they be worrying about balls and makeup, and other stereotypically feminine things?  Specifically, would the type of women who make up the quasi-military noble elite—that is, our characters—be worrying about such things?

I think that worrying too much about conforming to modern social norms for the genders, or even perceived or historic medieval social norms for the genders, is not only likely to be an exercise in frustration, it isn't even particularly relevant.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 31, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
Is it really? I don't think I've ever seen anyone really try to set up a religion or realm that was gender-biased, towards either male or female.

I think I once played in a FEI realm that was all female and the where the men were castrated.  If it was not in my dreams, the realm was the Highland Empire.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 31, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
I think I once played in a FEI realm that was all female and the where the men were castrated.  If it was not in my dreams, the realm was the Highland Empire.

They did some really odd things in there back in the day...

I wonder if Daniel (player of Sadi) would be interested in coming back...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #48: April 01, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
They had this Gymnitism religion or something where everything was naked women. There was something about badgers, and Anaris has told me that I was not original in thinking of an enmity against squirrels. There was this "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" realm. Order of the Doughnut. I hear that the early days of Coimbra were weird, especially Doc.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 01, 2011, 03:27:44 AM »
Gymnistism wasn't just naked women. It was naked people in general. The censored version of the wiki page was hilarious. :P

Order of the Doughnut turned into an actual religion in Yssaria: Dunkontology. Thankfully it died.

The squirrel thing was from one of the south islands. Search the wiki for Nergal,  I think.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 01, 2011, 03:34:04 AM »
It was a tradition for a while in Arcaea that women were predominantly in power, with all Duchesses and mostly women on the Council for quite a while.  Jenred quietly phased that out over the years, but it was known (if not talked about a lot) when he joined.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 01, 2011, 03:48:03 AM »
Is Arcaea now where the HE once was?  I remember Unotosa being part of it.  The first time I played a Baroness it was in Unotosa...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 01, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Is Arcaea now where the HE once was?  I remember Unotosa being part of it.  The first time I played a Baroness it was in Unotosa...

I don't really know where the HE was.  Of course, go far enough back, and everything north of Anacan was Arcaean  ;D
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #53: April 01, 2011, 04:24:11 AM »
Its split between Arcaea and Ohnar West. Akanos was the capital if I remember correctly...
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 01, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
The primary belligerents who destroyed HE were Lasanar and, I believe, Sartania. Maybe Arcachon as well. Arcaea was neutral. HE's old lands are mostly now controlled by Ohnar West, with some being Arcaea.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner