Author Topic: No Zuma Thread  (Read 20594 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: No Zuma Thread
« Reply #15: May 10, 2012, 02:04:41 PM »
Morek was desperate for some action when I was there(left just before the stepped into the war). I suppose the new ruler felt in necessary to choose a side in the war just to give the players in his realm something to do. Sadly that meant killing the only fun that side of the northern Dwilight has seen in like a year.

But it's the players that have built that cage for themselves with Sanguis Astroism as the glue that holds it all together.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 10, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
Morek was desperate for some action when I was there(left just before the stepped into the war). I suppose the new ruler felt in necessary to choose a side in the war just to give the players in his realm something to do. Sadly that meant killing the only fun that side of the northern Dwilight has seen in like a year.

But it's the players that have built that cage for themselves with Sanguis Astroism as the glue that holds it all together.

Not sure how you can blame SA when all three realms at war are SA realms. The problem is that Morek is the big dog and there's no one else in the northeast that can take them on either singly or together, so no one will go to war with them voluntarily, and they'll even avoid war with each other so as to avoid giving Morek and excuse to pile on. I was pleasantly surprised when Summerdale and LE decided to risk it, but as seemed likely from the beginning, Morek has now gotten involved and made it one-sided. None of that has anything to do with religion.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 10, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Corsanctum needs to step up.

They are without a doubt the most boring realm in the history of BM (and yes, I am including Melhed) and yet they have so much potential as they have been set up as being the papacy of SA. Seems like the right time to start working on getting some real power and prestige.

If they don't do anything now they might just as well move away and let someone else colonize the peninsula whose sole goal in life isn't stagnation.

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 10, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »
Dalians are people from Summerdale.  Better than Sumerdalianites.

I can't blame Morek for getting involved, OOC, I know all too well how boring that part of Dwilight had become.  The problem is their size and strength makes any war one sided.

When we started the war with Libero, we discussed the certainty that Morek would want some action too.   Anyone with a character on BT remember what Fronen did to OG with Yipinalke?   Snatch it up in a sneak attack, drop a ton of militia and hold out indefinitely against superior forces.  That's what we were going for with Mt. Black Nastrond.  It worked well, until:

We did not anticipate losing Mt. Black to a bug exploit.
We did not anticipate Morek lowering relations with Astrum to be able to declare war on Summerdale, figured they would keep relations officially neutral and support Libero in battle anyway.
We did not anticipate Mt. Black suddenly joining Morek...  the region's third realm in a month with the same lord.

So yeah... we misjudged a bit :P

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 10, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
Not sure how you can blame SA when all three realms at war are SA realms. The problem is that Morek is the big dog and there's no one else in the northeast that can take them on either singly or together, so no one will go to war with them voluntarily, and they'll even avoid war with each other so as to avoid giving Morek and excuse to pile on. I was pleasantly surprised when Summerdale and LE decided to risk it, but as seemed likely from the beginning, Morek has now gotten involved and made it one-sided. None of that has anything to do with religion.

It's probably because SA was a very big reason why the NE became boring in the first place. First was Springdale v Virovene, then Thulsoma, then Averoth. Even the brief stint with Entai (I think that was the name) ended suddenly because Astrum (SA realm) was at war with Caerwyn.

EDIT: Dalians can come West! Asylon still has a number of estates, I think. Terran and Barca might need new blood, too. You can nurse your vendetta against Libero/Morek here.  ;D Just make sure you're ready to deal with the morass that is the Zuma.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:38:59 PM by Feylonis »

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 10, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
When we started the war with Libero, we discussed the certainty that Morek would want some action too.   Anyone with a character on BT remember what Fronen did to OG with Yipinalke?   Snatch it up in a sneak attack, drop a ton of militia and hold out indefinitely against superior forces.  That's what we were going for with Mt. Black Nastrond.  It worked well, until:

I promise not to derail this thread, but are you talking about the most recent war involving Fronen and OG?  I remember that OG swooped in and stole Yipinalke and dropped militia like a boss, not the other way around.  And yes, it worked very well for them.  ;)

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 10, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »
I don't think you're the only one who feels that way. The fact is that Summerdale is losing because the other side cheated, so the bad taste is unavoidable. In my 5 years of playing I never came across such a group of player(s) who are dancing on the edge of fair play, and the last charade where Mt. Black Nastrond realigned to Morek is a just a continuum of such a behavior for it is the breach of SMA rules.

So yes, like many in Summerdale, I am bitter and disappointed with all of this and once the plausible IC situation evolves I will be leaving with the rest of the Dalians wherever we may go, and will be avoiding the north west from now on in as wide range as possible. I don't want to whine or insult anyone but this is where I stand about this mess, and I prefer to play in a climate that is much more considerable about fair play than north-west of Dwilight is.

I don't want to blame anyone for it. It's upsetting how this turned out, but I don't think the Libero players in general are to blame.

Basically: this war sucks, I can barely bring myself to try and play through it, and I think most of us just want it to end one way or another so we can get past it all. And that's a damn shame, we have all these new players whose first experience is going to be filled with bugs, OOC arguments over said bugs, and getting steamrolled by a realm with nothing better to do. It's a big mess all around and I wish it didn't end up that way, but besides the exploit, everyone was just doing what made sense.

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 10, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
I promise not to derail this thread, but are you talking about the most recent war involving Fronen and OG?  I remember that OG swooped in and stole Yipinalke and dropped militia like a boss, not the other way around.  And yes, it worked very well for them.  ;)

No before that, back when the OG/NG civil war was ending.  That's how Fronen got the region in the first place...  *digs through distant memories*    Neo Grehk was doing good against Old Grehk, they were pretty evenly matched, then a rebellion in Neo Grehk led to all the lords switching allegiance to Old Grehk... save one, the lord of Yipinalke, who joined Fronen, then a few hours later joined Old Grehk.  Fronen used that as an excuse to establish a claim, quickly declare war and take the region, dropping insurmountable amounts of militia.   It wasn't until much later that they lowered their guard and OG returned the favor.

Edit:   four days later, not hours.    Cuvelier family

2008-11-12      Fleugs      Appointed as Marquis of Yipinalke.
2008-11-30      Fleugs      Elected as judge in Neo Grehk.
2008-12-13      Fleugs      Joined the realm of Fronen
2008-12-17      Fleugs      Joined the realm of Old Grehk
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:54:20 PM by Brant »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #23: May 10, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
You guys could come to Kabrinskia, we could use some nobles. (I personally need a knight, anyways)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 10, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
Or immigrate to Arcaea on FEI. We usually have a war going, and we can certainly use more nobles as we colonise the Dark Isle.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 10, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
and the last charade where Mt. Black Nastrond realigned to Morek is a just a continuum of such a behavior for it is the breach of SMA rules.

No. That is, first, a lie, and second, an insult to the players involved.

SMA does not mean "staying on the sidelines and watch your neighbor grow until they could challenge you, because hey, maybe it will be more fun on an OOC level for the players on the other side". In fact, that is pretty much the inverse of SMA.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 10, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
I can't blame Morek for getting involved, OOC, I know all too well how boring that part of Dwilight had become.  The problem is their size and strength makes any war one sided.

When we started the war with Libero, we discussed the certainty that Morek would want some action too. 

Considering, I think Morek has taken more risks than it needed to in this war up to now. It would have been easy to simply forbid passage through Mt Black and wait there, forbidding all realm growth and TOs in the area.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 10, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
Honestly, the start of the war was a HUGE diplomatic failure on the part of Summerdale. From out of nowhere they jumped up, declared themselves to be the rightful heir of Springdale, and declared they intended to completely destroy the Libero Empire and take their land.

Hello! McFly!

Is it any wonder Morek stepped in to help their *ally* and *friend* from destruction at the hands of a realm that canceled an alliance and declared war with seemingly no warning or justification at all?

Sorry, Summerdale. I know what you were trying to do. A nice war would have been fun. But you completely blew it with your opening move. Morek did *exactly* what you should have expected they would do, and exactly what you would have done in their situation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 10, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
It wasn't until much later that they lowered their guard and OG returned the favor.

Lowered our guard? *scoffs* We got gang beaten. Four realms declared war on us at the same time thanks to a certain utterly and completely inept ex-ruler. It had nothing to do with being surprised and everything to do with facing insurmountable odds on three fronts.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 10, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
Morek is a big dog indeed... but perhaps they can make it less of a lopsided beatdown by committing less troops? It's counter-intuitive, but it can make things more interesting, and it's not very hard to get a justifiable explanation for it. I wish more sponsors would be more selective with their armies.