Author Topic: Case against Magistrate  (Read 3584 times)

egamma

Case against Magistrate
« Topic Start: May 11, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, could I bring a case to the magistrates on behalf of someone other than myself?

What happens if defendants of the case are themselves Magistrates?

And third, do forum posts fall under the jurisdiction of the magistrates, and under the Social Contract?

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Case against Magistrate
« Reply #1: May 11, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, could I bring a case to the magistrates on behalf of someone other than myself?
Quote from: Tom
You can, and in fact are encouraged to, bring cases even if you are not affected. If you see someone violating the right of another player, do speak up on behalf of that other player. He may not dare to or know how.

They would probably have to recuse themselves and act only as the defendant.

And third, do forum posts fall under the jurisdiction of the magistrates, and under the Social Contract?
I would say all activities done on official channels (forum, wiki, in game), are subject to the social contract. As Magistrates have a mandate to settle PvP disputes, it would likely fall in their jurisdiction. However, I don't see any precedent, and the mechanism for complaints exists only ingame. I'd wait to see what Tom has to say about it.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 11, 2012, 07:07:27 AM »

1. Yes

2. They should recuse themselves

3. Personally, I don't think so. We do not lock game accounts for forum posts. The forum is not the game. Moderators are in charge of the forum. We aren't the mods. But, you could bring the case anyways, and the Magistrates could decide.

Though, again my personal opinion, the accused Magistrate should be allowed to rule on whether the case can be heard or not by the Magistrates, just not on the case itself. So if, say, Lefanis were accused of breaking the social contract based on a forum post, I wouldn't expect him to recuse himself from Magistrate decisions about whether or not forum posts are regulated by the social contract, but I would expect him to recuse himself from discussions of whether his words/actions violated the social contract.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: May 11, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
The forums are seperate, and do have their own system (moderators and the ability to lock your forum account).

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #4: May 11, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
How do you do so?

Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 11, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
How do you do so?

You mean, how do you open a magistrate case?

It's on the Messages page, right next to Titan reports, on testing islands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #6: May 12, 2012, 12:42:11 AM »
Thanks.

Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: May 12, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »
Hopefully soon-to-be all islands. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.