Author Topic: Military feature  (Read 3026 times)

Zakilevo

Military feature
« Topic Start: March 21, 2011, 03:39:46 AM »
I was thinking about asking a new feature for the military portion of BM.

I am not really an expert on Medieval military things but how about adding something like when your general or marshal is injured during a battle, this lowers morale of the entire army (for general) or a specific army (for marshal)?

But for marshal being injured, the percentage of the morale loss can be lowered if a vice marshal is present?

or instead of losing morale, maybe the army can be disorganized? (how would this work? Maybe when marshal or general falls, lower the retreat rate? )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:50:15 AM by Tony J »

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Military feature
« Reply #1: March 21, 2011, 04:04:07 AM »
maybe the army can be disorganized?

Being unable to change unit settings whilst the Marshal is injured kind of already achieves this.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: March 21, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »
I thought it would be more realistic if the person in control of the entire army falls during a battle, enemies would spread this news to raise their morale and lower their enemies.

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 21, 2011, 05:39:30 AM »
more realistic if the person in control of the entire army falls during a battle,

From my very limited knowledge on the subject, I don't believe this was how battles were fought in the Medieval ages. Marshals in feudal times certainly didn't command the entire army as far as I'm aware, this is a unique BM feature.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the individual Lords, and Barons etc. had their own Knights, who served under them. In return for land they were employed to fight for their Lord. If they had wealth, these would in turn recruit their own men, such as men-at-arms etc.

During a battle, you'd be in command of your own men, no-one else would command you or your men, other than perhaps Royalty. (Although in England at least, the Barons were also extremely powerful, almost equaling the Kings power). So I doubt that they or their Knights would have been following a single leader in the modern sense anyway.

I understand that there is one person who can control the unit settings of the entire army in BM (although individual leaders can also set their own unit settings which is a bit more realistic). But I don't think this is how it was in actual Medieval times.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: March 21, 2011, 06:37:55 AM »
Well, you are in command of your own men at all times. The only thing that marshals affect is the pre-battle deployment, more or less. So we already have this.

And the death of someone specific would not cause army-wide effects. I doubt most of the army would even immediately notice.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: March 21, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
Hmm I should really read more about medieval age.

I've been recently reading about the Mongol invasion of Poland and Hungary.

I knew the king of Hungary had trouble assembling his armies but didn't realize lords did not really care about the king.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:40:36 AM by Tony J »