Author Topic: instant messaging  (Read 4169 times)

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
instant messaging
« Topic Start: March 21, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
I think it would be cool to have some sort of instant messaging for allied nobles in the same region. Call it being at the local Lords estates or if in an enemy territory a tent where the nobles in the area could easily communicate in real time.
Forbes Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: instant messaging
« Reply #1: March 21, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
All messages are sent instantly.

If you mean something more like a live chat, it's called IRC.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: March 21, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
All messages are sent instantly.

If you mean something more like a live chat, it's called IRC.

I believe Monty was suggesting something akin to a chatroom per region.  It's not a bad idea, as it is in between letters and using IRC, though either letters or IRC would serve better if you wanted permanence or instant feedback.

The advantage you may be thinking of is that it would be instant notification, but the reality is you would simply type a message, and then no one would respond for quite a while and you might as well have sent a letter. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 21, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
I believe Monty was suggesting something akin to a chatroom per region.  It's not a bad idea, as it is in between letters and using IRC, though either letters or IRC would serve better if you wanted permanence or instant feedback.

The advantage you may be thinking of is that it would be instant notification, but the reality is you would simply type a message, and then no one would respond for quite a while and you might as well have sent a letter. ;)

Yes it is what I was thinking about. And, I realize that there is IRC. However isn't IRC more of an ooc tool? What I am saying is an actual IC way to communicate. I do realize in some instances letters are better. However sometimes the letters are a pain as many people log out then check back then log out then check back. Whereas with a chat room it could make a sound when someone wrote something.
Forbes Family

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: March 21, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
BM isn't meant to be instant. I fear putting chat into the game would only result in pressures on players to be online at certain times, e.g. to "join the strategy discussion".

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 21, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
Not to mention it would blur the line between OOC and IC, and very likely ruin the medieval atmosphere as well. Imagine smileys being used... *shudders*

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 21, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
And it would empty my favourite IRC channels. Who will be left for me to talk about the latest facebook game? WHO
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: March 22, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »
Don't try to turn BM into Facebook. I think the world has enough of that already.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 22, 2011, 01:21:19 PM »
Don't try to turn BM into Facebook. I think the world has enough of that already.

Totally not my intention. tbh I don't even facebook. It was just an idea that I thought I would run by the powers that be.
Forbes Family

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 27, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Not to mention it would blur the line between OOC and IC, and very likely ruin the medieval atmosphere as well. Imagine smileys being used... *shudders*

You've never been to Caligus then. I'd paste in some messages from Souji but I'm not sure if I could bare reading them again.