Author Topic: Aurvandil  (Read 79342 times)

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Aurvandil
« Reply #255: July 27, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »
I tend to call it the Old Republic, though I dislike the StarWars connotation that term has...
That's my term of choice too.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #256: July 27, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
That's my term of choice too.
The Knights of the Old Republic.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257: July 28, 2013, 02:11:32 AM »
I tend to call it the Old Republic, though I dislike the StarWars connotation that term has...

Kale uses Old Republic. I believe he was the first one to start using it, mainly to clarify between Theocratic Terran and Republican Terran.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #258: July 28, 2013, 03:57:20 AM »

Well the name Terran itself have connotation of a different space combat franchise  ::)
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #259: July 28, 2013, 04:07:36 AM »
The man has a point.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #260: July 29, 2013, 07:30:31 AM »
When I contemplate using Terran in my own scifi work, its as a throwback to its literary form. The only Terran I can think of, video game wise, is Starcraft - a game I've never actually played. I'm sure its been used elsewhere though, since it makes perfect sense: Terran is both a noun and an adjective, derived from Middle English terrene, which means "of the earth", secular, temporal, and all that good stuff.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #261: July 29, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
I'm sure its been used elsewhere though, since it makes perfect sense:

Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #262: August 01, 2013, 02:21:05 AM »
Oh god the terminology.

Writing the Phantaro-Theocratic Accord was one of my favorite treaties ever (so bummed it broke), just because it was basically half just terminology rules about who could call their realm what. I had a blast writing it and was looking forward to seeing regular diplomatic feuds about terminology.

In my head I had the Macedonia/FYROM dispute especially, but was also thinking of N/S Korea and PR China/R China naming disputes. I guess the China one is actually most applicable, but the Macedonia/FYROM one is more fun.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner