Author Topic: Luria  (Read 358743 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Luria
« Reply #1230: May 11, 2013, 06:57:17 AM »
I think the issue people are having is that if two people of equal skill (no matter how good/bad they actually are) are dueling, then the one with no eyesight would lose, hands down, because - well, being blind sucks. That's why most blind people have some kind of aid (a stick, a dog, a friend) when they go walking about outside. They can't anticipate cars, and cars are loud and noisy as hell. How could a blind person realistically anticipate a quiet swordsman? If they were to go flailing ahead, all it would require is for someone to sidestep - and stab. There would be no way for a blind person to anticipate that their opponent would sidestep, especially if they weren't skilled at swordfighting. A sighted person should have the advantage if both parties are of equal skill. But the code doesn't distinguish between sighted people and blind people.

If someone had been RPing their character as an armless swordmaster, I'm sure that would have come under fire immediately as unrealistic and poor RP. It'd still be just as valid as a blind person fighting, however. So...

I have my next character concept.

The car analogy is bad because the sounds of cars would be ever present for the most part, and depends on where you are standing whether it is dangerous or not. However, in a medieval world with a duel, I feel that the blind person would most definitely know where the person with the sword is coming from and what their intentions are. It's not going to be so good as to make them superior in any regard to a person with eyesight, but they will at least be able to have a general sense of what's going on. And with the sword skills as low as they are, an overrun strategy probably would work because the other person wouldn't know how to parry properly.