Author Topic: Luria  (Read 359944 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #30: May 29, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
Because then they would not be the hub of the Empire.  That's the whole idea behind keeping them not just alive, but giving them a prime role.  It's the ceremonial and bureaucratic capital.

But how much fun is it going to be for them playing in a realm of just three people?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 29, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
But how much fun is it going to be for them playing in a realm of just three people?

That depends - it could be lots of fun if they are on the Lurian Council and they enjoy politics. It's not like there's not a lot for three people to do to keep a whole realm running anyway, even if it just one region. Just making sure the city stays fed promises to be interesting.

I'd also consider founding pan-Lurian guilds and/or secret societies, and in general ensuring the centrality of the city to Luria as a whole. Hosting a lot of tourneys is one way to do that. Creating a tradition of hosting the other Lurian rulers in person for certain council functions is another. Could be a lot of fun for a few active players if you ask me.

egamma

« Reply #32: May 29, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

Looks like there's 7 of them.

They could also form that infiltrator realm that we keep talking about...

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 29, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
Why thank you but I'd just say that it's a good compromise (yes once in a blue moon we Lurians are actually capable of that) between the representatives of LV (Madigan) Solaria (surprise: Solari) and LN (myself). This is how it works:

1. You have the Emperor. The Emperor is a ceremonial position that goes to the most physically strong Lurian, i.e. the one who defeats the old Emperor in a duel till surrender (this can escalate into a duel to the death in some cases). There are some requirements for being allowed to challenge the Emperor though, like support of a Lurian Ruler or Duke. In spite of his ceremonial position, the Emperor does hold one vote in the Lurian Council.
He may reside in the Imperial Palace reserved for him in Askileon.

2. The Imperial Chancellor. Where the Emperor is the summit of physical prowess the Chancellor is the peak for those who thrive on politics. He is the head of the Lurian Council and is elected by the Lurian Rulers. If they can't reach a compromise after a while, it goes to the Dukes and Lords of the Lurian realms. He has a vote in the Council that counts double in case of a tie.

3. The Lurian Council. Each Ruler of a Lurian realm has a seat in the Lurian Council, joined with one other dignitary from his realm. Aside from those there's the Chancellor and the Emperor as full members and then there's each government member from those realms who are spectators.
Most power of course resides with this Council so it is a pretty decentralized Empire or confederacy if you like but I doubt it'd survive a day if it was a centralized state. Though whoever knows how it will evolve... :)
It is built with the intent of stable cooperation but I can see some opportunities for armed conflict in it myself... which is how it should be.

It is currently being ratified and I sure hope that it'll be implemented soon. As far as I know it's a first in BM so it's pretty exciting to see how it'll turn out. :)

Applause and pats on the back all around. I, likewise, can't wait to see how things turn how - particularly because it brings LV into more Lurian politics and we could always use more excitement.  But also because it opens up a whole new arena for the Lurian pastimes of backstabbing and scheming cooperation and altruism.

I guess that entirely depends on them. I know that Pian's King had some good ideas and I think that as their role as stewards of the Confederacy and laws becomes more developed and refined, so too will the style and pace of the realm. If - through negotiation - they get some land back, even better.

That depends - it could be lots of fun if they are on the Lurian Council and they enjoy politics. It's not like there's not a lot for three people to do to keep a whole realm running anyway, even if it just one region. Just making sure the city stays fed promises to be interesting.

I'd also consider founding pan-Lurian guilds and/or secret societies, and in general ensuring the centrality of the city to Luria as a whole. Hosting a lot of tourneys is one way to do that. Creating a tradition of hosting the other Lurian rulers in person for certain council functions is another. Could be a lot of fun for a few active players if you ask me.

This. The Council's guild has already been founded in Askileon and a meeting was called for all representatives to meet at the city-state for the first meeting/elections. That should go a long way towards cementing the city as the 'Lurian Capitol'.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 29, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
Looks like there's 7 of them.

They could also form that infiltrator realm that we keep talking about...

You're counting adventurers? Why?

Pan-Lurian guilds would be a necessity. They won't have anyone to talk to otherwise.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 29, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
I kind of expect them to found an Imperial Army that could function as elite strike force as well as morale booster in any war we might be ambition. After all, when you're knight of a one region-realm, there are no monsters to fight so might as well spend your time training your unit and preparing for war. Especially as there is absolutely no reason why the lord shouldn't run the maximum tax rate in a realm that small.
Gold for everyone!

Honestly, I'm general in LN but I'm half-tempted to give that up to join PeL and become a King's Guard-esque Imperial Guard or something. It sounds like lots of fun in my opinion and would fit my character very well as I normally try to keep him away from politics. This time I just couldn't pass on an opportunity to co-design this. :)

And yeah, guilds have been founded, the oldest one still needs to be redesigned though. We'll get to that once the whole thing is actually established. :)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 29, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »
I kind of expect them to found an Imperial Army that could function as elite strike force as well as morale booster in any war we might be ambition. After all, when you're knight of a one region-realm, there are no monsters to fight so might as well spend your time training your unit and preparing for war. Especially as there is absolutely no reason why the lord shouldn't run the maximum tax rate in a realm that small.
Gold for everyone!

Honestly, I'm general in LN but I'm half-tempted to give that up to join PeL and become a King's Guard-esque Imperial Guard or something. It sounds like lots of fun in my opinion and would fit my character very well as I normally try to keep him away from politics. This time I just couldn't pass on an opportunity to co-design this. :)

And yeah, guilds have been founded, the oldest one still needs to be redesigned though. We'll get to that once the whole thing is actually established. :)

Better work on getting some totally bad@$$ recruitment centers then.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 29, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Better work on getting some totally bad@$$ recruitment centers then.

Pretty sure they've already got pretty good centers. It's the only city in Luria that hasn't gone rogue since it's first conquest after all. (Unless I'm mistaken? At least it's the city that has been part of a realm for the longest amount of time in Luria.)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 29, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »
We desperately need a write-up of what transpired before and during the (latest) war and Lorgan should chime in with the Imperial blueprint, since it's mostly his good work.

Well I can definitely contribute some to the "before" category and during of course as well. I have to think about how much IC information I'll want to include though. Granted, I highly doubt revealing some IC secrets of Brom will really change anyone in Luria's opinion of him anyway at this point.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 29, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »
Gold for everyone!

I hear you on the PeL sounding fun front. I'm equally tempted to leave Judge/Ambassador/Lordship/future titles in LV just because of the huge potential for fun RP and character interactions that could come from serving in the seat of the Lurian Empire. I hope that some of that interaction will still come from being on the Council - or the Curia Regis as PeL styled it.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 30, 2012, 04:27:38 AM »
Pan-Lurian guilds would be a necessity. They won't have anyone to talk to otherwise.

There are already 3: Halls of Luria (for everyone), Curia Regis (for the clique) and the Imperial War College (for those who like to parade in armors). ;D
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 30, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
There are already 2: Halls of Luria (for everyone), and the Imperial War College (for Generals and marshals and sponsors).

There I fixed it for you.  ;D

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 30, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
Well this sounds pretty cool.  Once I retire Eoghan or he gets killed in battle, my next character may just show up in Luria. :)
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 31, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Why thank you but I'd just say that it's a good compromise (yes once in a blue moon we Lurians are actually capable of that) between the representatives of LV (Madigan) Solaria (surprise: Solari) and LN (myself). This is how it works:

1. You have the Emperor. The Emperor is a ceremonial position that goes to the most physically strong Lurian, i.e. the one who defeats the old Emperor in a duel till surrender (this can escalate into a duel to the death in some cases). There are some requirements for being allowed to challenge the Emperor though, like support of a Lurian Ruler or Duke. In spite of his ceremonial position, the Emperor does hold one vote in the Lurian Council.
He may reside in the Imperial Palace reserved for him in Askileon.

2. The Imperial Chancellor. Where the Emperor is the summit of physical prowess the Chancellor is the peak for those who thrive on politics. He is the head of the Lurian Council and is elected by the Lurian Rulers. If they can't reach a compromise after a while, it goes to the Dukes and Lords of the Lurian realms. He has a vote in the Council that counts double in case of a tie.

3. The Lurian Council. Each Ruler of a Lurian realm has a seat in the Lurian Council, joined with one other dignitary from his realm. Aside from those there's the Chancellor and the Emperor as full members and then there's each government member from those realms who are spectators.
Most power of course resides with this Council so it is a pretty decentralized Empire or confederacy if you like but I doubt it'd survive a day if it was a centralized state. Though whoever knows how it will evolve... :)
It is built with the intent of stable cooperation but I can see some opportunities for armed conflict in it myself... which is how it should be.

It is currently being ratified and I sure hope that it'll be implemented soon. As far as I know it's a first in BM so it's pretty exciting to see how it'll turn out. :)

Honestly, the structure of the confederacy doesn't sound that different from the structure of the Véinsørmoot. Minus the whole dueling to surrender thing.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 31, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
The dueling part is what makes it cool. 8)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.