Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360700 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #1080: April 12, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
Why is Dwilight so toxic?

Because it's the only continent worth caring about and getting heated over, because interesting and unexpected things still happen there. Also Beluaterra during invasions.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081: April 12, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
What Anaris said isn't true either - Skyndarbau just said that's not at all what he was trying to communicate. What Anaris said is Alanna's point of view, just like Chénier communicates Machiavel's point of view.

If Dominic is always conveying only Machiavel's view, that's great. It would be wonderful to know that. Then, people (and I'm not the only one) wouldn't be laboring under the false perception that he's kind of a dick who takes a game way too seriously. I've personally asked him before to address that uncertainty, and he hasn't. It's only an issue because it's an extremely consistent behavior. Why wouldn't you want people to know something that repairs damage to your reputation?

In this game and on the forums, there are native speakers of at least 9 languages. It's hardly a medium that lends itself to conveying intent, context, or subtlety. Just as importantly, this is an OOC forum. It's natural for people to read what's posted here in that frame of reference. Making the smallest of efforts to point out when you're conveying your character's point of view and when you're not is helpful for everyone, especially yourself. This shouldn't even require stating. All you have to do is treat the players you're playing with like people.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082: April 13, 2013, 01:57:54 AM »
There, she said it in plainer words. Luria Nova won't help, because they don't want to. Who cares if Fissoa dies to Falkirk and Aurvandil? Starting another war with D'Hara is so much more fun.

You left out the conclusion: "My nobles see no point to this war, beyond vague promises. If there was something there worth fighting for them—like the expansion of an Empire—coupled with time to regroup, recruit, and improve our military infrastructure, the second time round would be a huge success. Otherwise, Fissoa will have to make due with its own forces, or those from D'Hara, until such a time Luria Nova can march a significantly efficient and motivated force."

Our nobles weren't rallying, nor were they marching together very well. I induced from the opinions of those nobles and my military council that our forces weren't sufficiently motivated to do all that much. In other words, I couldn't actually march an army, despite having tried to convince them and provide incentive. So yes, you are right by stating that Luria doesn't want to help. I was hoping the formation of an Empire would change that, but everything went downhill from there.

It doesn't really matter anymore. Fissoa is likely going to suffer the consequences, instead of D'Hara. Who knows? All of this is so exciting!
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083: April 13, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
You left out the conclusion: "My nobles see no point to this war, beyond vague promises. If there was something there worth fighting for them—like the expansion of an Empire—coupled with time to regroup, recruit, and improve our military infrastructure, the second time round would be a huge success. Otherwise, Fissoa will have to make due with its own forces, or those from D'Hara, until such a time Luria Nova can march a significantly efficient and motivated force."

Our nobles weren't rallying, nor were they marching together very well. I induced from the opinions of those nobles and my military council that our forces weren't sufficiently motivated to do all that much. In other words, I couldn't actually march an army, despite having tried to convince them and provide incentive. So yes, you are right by stating that Luria doesn't want to help. I was hoping the formation of an Empire would change that, but everything went downhill from there.

It doesn't really matter anymore. Fissoa is likely going to suffer the consequences, instead of D'Hara. Who knows? All of this is so exciting!
Perhaps, but you were being complete asses basically by having the war do a complete reset instead of just finishing off Madina. Once Madina is taken care of, the isle could be quickly dealt with by the Fissoans and you could go to war with D'hara just like you wanted.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084: April 13, 2013, 02:11:24 AM »
Perhaps, but you were being complete asses basically by having the war do a complete reset instead of just finishing off Madina. Once Madina is taken care of, the isle could be quickly dealt with by the Fissoans and you could go to war with D'hara just like you wanted.

No, once Madina is taken care of, Fissoa will be free to aid their ally D'Hara against Luria.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085: April 13, 2013, 02:16:58 AM »
No, once Madina is taken care of, Fissoa will be free to aid their ally D'Hara against Luria.
As I said on IRC, Fissoa already told us they were planning to join the Empire and just try to be neutral in the war.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086: April 13, 2013, 02:31:52 AM »
As I said on IRC, Fissoa already told us they were planning to join the Empire and just try to be neutral in the war.

Yeah...you don't seem to be getting what a poor communicator Skyndarbau is.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087: April 13, 2013, 02:35:12 AM »
And Rynn isn't exactly a help in that regards. :P
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088: April 13, 2013, 02:38:27 AM »
I think the common thread is that big-time rulers seem to talk down to Rynn and Skyndarbau, so I can understand why they respond the way they do. Though D'Hara and Fissoa might not be as beastly as Luria Nova, they have equivalent pride.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089: April 13, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
I think the common thread is that big-time rulers seem to talk down to Rynn and Skyndarbau, so I can understand why they respond the way they do. Though D'Hara and Fissoa might not be as beastly as Luria Nova, they have equivalent pride.

I know less about the beginning of Alice's relationship with Rynn. However, the conversation with Skyndarbau was going just fine until he started insulting us.

From all the messages Alice has passed to LN (and there are a number of them, both her side and his), there hasn't been any condescension or talking down of any kind: he just doesn't trust us, hates Alanna pretty hard, and...I dunno, thinks that he should insult us.
Timothy Collett

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090: April 13, 2013, 02:49:50 AM »
And Rynn isn't exactly a help in that regards. :P
Yeah...you don't seem to be getting what a poor communicator Skyndarbau is.
I can't exactly speak for Skyanderbau, but I agree with Rynn. He is way to !@#$ing emotional in a bad way, and yet while he is all emotional he doesn't actually have an ounce of loyalty to any allies only specific characters. (Of course from my point of view.) Also, Anaris, feel like posting an insult on hear? I hear that he was insulting you guys but neither IG nor on here have I actually heard one mentioned.
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091: April 13, 2013, 03:21:59 AM »
I can't exactly speak for Skyanderbau, but I agree with Rynn. He is way to !@#$ing emotional in a bad way, and yet while he is all emotional he doesn't actually have an ounce of loyalty to any allies only specific characters. (Of course from my point of view.) Also, Anaris, feel like posting an insult on hear? I hear that he was insulting you guys but neither IG nor on here have I actually heard one mentioned.

Let's keep messages IG.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092: April 13, 2013, 03:33:09 AM »
Yes please. If the original author wanted them posted, they could come do it themselves.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093: April 13, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »
Also, Anaris, feel like posting an insult on hear? I hear that he was insulting you guys but neither IG nor on here have I actually heard one mentioned.

To sum it up, Alice thought Skyndarbau was discrediting her realm's efforts, while smearing her with her own humility and shame. She had just apologized for not meeting expectations, so it was seen as an extremely disrespectful move. This and Skyndarbau's messages to Rynn provoked Alice, breaking the alliance.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094: April 13, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
Why is Dwilight so toxic?

Because it's the only continent worth caring about and getting heated over, because interesting and unexpected things still happen there. Also Beluaterra during invasions.

This.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)