Author Topic: Luria  (Read 361010 times)

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #1095: April 13, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Jeez. If I wasn't already so involved with FR, I'd be moving to Luria/D'Hara/Fissoa. So much angst!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096: April 13, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Jeez. If I wasn't already so involved with FR, I'd be moving to Luria/D'Hara/Fissoa. So much angst!

Yes! I'm loving it.

Okay, I just read the thread since page 71 or so, and though there's many things I would've commented on if I had followed this thread more closely, I won't do so now. Except for a few things. Firstly that I wouldn't mind to see any of Skyn's letters posted on here. Sure, I could do it myself, but I'd rather see Arundel point out the bits that she found offensive.

I'll also correct Anaris in saying that I don't intend for Skyn to hate Alanna, at least not to the degree he used to. He made her into a devil after having destroyed Myern and when she came back, but now Alice has explained Alanna was in favour of an Empire, he can look her straight into the eyes. Of course seeing Empress Alanna on the throne would still be ..problematic.

Lastly I'll clarify that Skyn indeed wanted to join the Empire, and would've stayed true to his word. Giving up D'Hara as an ally in order to join (by staying neutral in a Lurian war on D'Hara) was a pretty big thing, and as Anaris pointed out (and Alice) the guarantees he asked for were all reasonable.

Unfortunately the purely semantic problem Fissoa had with Lurian Empire kind of blew up in our face. Had it been called Empire of the Rising Sun, or whatever, Skyn would've been totally down.

Spoilerish alert(?): How things progress from here is still uncertain, but I've contacted Erik (Arundel player) and some others to discuss a possible outcome that would allow for an interesting narrative, and also reconcile my RL plans with BM.

More to come!

PS: Yeah, Skyndarbau hasn't been the best communicator, nor very tactful. But he's always been kind of blunt, especially to those he respects. That he attacked Alice was mostly because of his hurt pride, I suppose. Or mine :) And the letters he sends are sometimes overly rethoric/bombastic, but that's the main reason I like to write them. Form over content, ftw.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:43:42 PM by Shizzle »

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1097: April 13, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Why is Dwilight so toxic?

Because it's the only continent worth caring about and getting heated over, because interesting and unexpected things still happen there. Also Beluaterra during invasions.
+1
I can't exactly speak for Skyanderbau, but I agree with Rynn. He is way to !@#$ing emotional in a bad way, and yet while he is all emotional he doesn't actually have an ounce of loyalty to any allies only specific characters.
Ouch. I would argue that in this game, you only get to know realms through specific characters. He communicates fine with the House of Lords and responds promptly when other rulers or whatever write to him so I'm not sure what you're talking about. His loyalty is earned when people (individuals or realms) go out of their way to help D'Hara. That's how I've been RPing him. I won't deny he has strong bonds with individuals. But He stuck by Vesperi long after he should have because of what they did. And you can def expect him to stick by the Farronites too. Rynn and Sky were butting heads almost as much as he and Alice, yet Rynn skipped his honeymoon to personally help out the Dragons and kept slogging through Madina for a month afterwards. You keep calling Rynn out for things you don't agree with OOC. Nothing's stopping Marco from running for Prime Minister.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098: April 13, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
I'll tell you I've always liked Rynn. He feels real.

And I like Alice too please don't kill me, Luria

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1099: April 13, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »
Thanks! And If I did not mention before (bc pretty much only Fissoa people got to see it) Rynn, Alice, and Sky were all in the same room together. It was a pretty fine RP actually. Alice and Sky snubbed the hell out of Rynn, who left in a huff. Sky dipped out on the prank of a century. Fun stuff.

Nobody died.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100: April 13, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
Lastly I'll clarify that Skyn indeed wanted to join the Empire, and would've stayed true to his word. Giving up D'Hara as an ally in order to join (by staying neutral in a Lurian war on D'Hara) was a pretty big thing, and as Anaris pointed out (and Alice) the guarantees he asked for were all reasonable.

Unfortunately the purely semantic problem Fissoa had with Lurian Empire kind of blew up in our face. Had it been called Empire of the Rising Sun, or whatever, Skyn would've been totally down.

I don't think you quite understand just how important the name "Lurian Empire" is to Luria in general, and Alanna in particular.

And even without the name, the notion that any Empire with Luria as part of its founding could be anything but Lurian is (at least to them) absurd.

So if Fissoa has a problem with the name Luria, there's no point in trying to make an Empire with them, because that's really what it's all about. There's no separating what Luria is from its name.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101: April 13, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
I don't think you quite understand just how important the name "Lurian Empire" is to Luria in general, and Alanna in particular.

And even without the name, the notion that any Empire with Luria as part of its founding could be anything but Lurian is (at least to them) absurd.

So if Fissoa has a problem with the name Luria, there's no point in trying to make an Empire with them, because that's really what it's all about. There's no separating what Luria is from its name.

It's too bad Luria isn't able to come to a compromise. I can understand where Alanna is coming from, but surely some Lurians are more pragmatic?

Saying you want Fissoa as a partner but denying it's cultural heritage won't yield much results. Hell, even Pianese or Askileon Empire would be more or less acceptable.

But perhaps we differ on the idea of empire itself. Skyn sees it more as a confederation, a structure above both Luria Nova and Fissoa. Perhaps you just see Fissoa as vassals.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102: April 13, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
It's too bad Luria isn't able to come to a compromise. I can understand where Alanna is coming from, but surely some Lurians are more pragmatic?

Saying you want Fissoa as a partner but denying it's cultural heritage won't yield much results. Hell, even Pianese or Askileon Empire would be more or less acceptable.

But perhaps we differ on the idea of empire itself. Skyn sees it more as a confederation, a structure above both Luria Nova and Fissoa. Perhaps you just see Fissoa as vassals.

Well, to address your second point first, the Empire is more or less the grouping together of realms with a hierarchy partially above the rulers of the realms, which can, to some extent, dictate their, and their realms', actions.

As for the other...I think you may have misunderstood the nature of the situation. This isn't Luria coming to Fissoa and saying, "Hey, why don't you and we get together and form an Empire, and call it the Lurian Empire?"

This is Luria Nova, sole current member of the Lurian Empire (which is, in fact, already making preliminary preparations to eventually split apart again, if all goes well, into multiple Lurian realms, united under the Imperial banner), asking Fissoa if it wants to join the Lurian Empire, which has existed, in one form or another, for some time now.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103: April 13, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
Well, to address your second point first, the Empire is more or less the grouping together of realms with a hierarchy partially above the rulers of the realms, which can, to some extent, dictate their, and their realms', actions.

As for the other...I think you may have misunderstood the nature of the situation. This isn't Luria coming to Fissoa and saying, "Hey, why don't you and we get together and form an Empire, and call it the Lurian Empire?"

This is Luria Nova, sole current member of the Lurian Empire (which is, in fact, already making preliminary preparations to eventually split apart again, if all goes well, into multiple Lurian realms, united under the Imperial banner), asking Fissoa if it wants to join the Lurian Empire, which has existed, in one form or another, for some time now.

Ah. Well Luria Nova has never presented itself to us as an Empire, nor announced it's intention to split up again. Things might have gone differently if you had.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104: April 13, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
We gonna see GDF and Dhara destroyed or what?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105: April 13, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
We gonna see GDF and Dhara destroyed or what?

Not sure. I think many of the players involved prefer to see smaller scale conflicts, instead of destroying realms totally (Aurvandil/Falkirk might be an exception to this). A reason why things are so heated today is because D'Hara, the Lurias and Fissoa share a long history.

I wouldn't want any of these three realms to disappear, but for more reasons that just attachment. They continue to provide a stimulating narrative, and as long as that's the case, I wouldn't want to see them go.

Which is also the reason I wouldn't mind Aurvandil to perish completely. Other than Sextus Invictus and Allomere's letters I have seen no contributions since Mendicant got busted.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106: April 13, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
Not sure. I think many of the players involved prefer to see smaller scale conflicts, instead of destroying realms totally (Aurvandil/Falkirk might be an exception to this). A reason why things are so heated today is because D'Hara, the Lurias and Fissoa share a long history.

I wouldn't want any of these three realms to disappear, but for more reasons that just attachment. They continue to provide a stimulating narrative, and as long as that's the case, I wouldn't want to see them go.

Which is also the reason I wouldn't mind Aurvandil to perish completely. Other than Sextus Invictus and Allomere's letters I have seen no contributions since Mendicant got busted.

QFT, GG

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107: April 13, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »
+1Ouch. I would argue that in this game, you only get to know realms through specific characters. He communicates fine with the House of Lords and responds promptly when other rulers or whatever write to him so I'm not sure what you're talking about. His loyalty is earned when people (individuals or realms) go out of their way to help D'Hara. That's how I've been RPing him. I won't deny he has strong bonds with individuals. But He stuck by Vesperi long after he should have because of what they did. And you can def expect him to stick by the Farronites too. Rynn and Sky were butting heads almost as much as he and Alice, yet Rynn skipped his honeymoon to personally help out the Dragons and kept slogging through Madina for a month afterwards. You keep calling Rynn out for things you don't agree with OOC. Nothing's stopping Marco from running for Prime Minister.
Btw, my apologies on two counts. One if I seemed like I was attacking you. Two, it was definitely an overstatement on my part. As to the allies, perhaps only allies that we have worked well with since you have joined (Rynn has been trying to abandon the moot forever). To the emotional part, less so with friends/neutral parties but Rynn always has hissy fits with Alice and Mendicant/Allomere. Also, that is quite a bit true on diplomacy being founded upon individuals generally but real alliances/federations are not. On AT, Carelia is allied with Caergoth and Ottar not really Tara, because with Tara we are just friends with their ruler, but with Caergoth we have a general bond with the realm.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1108: April 13, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
Btw, my apologies on two counts. One if I seemed like I was attacking you. Two, it was definitely an overstatement on my part. As to the allies, perhaps only allies that we have worked well with since you have joined (Rynn has been trying to abandon the moot forever). To the emotional part, less so with friends/neutral parties but Rynn always has hissy fits with Alice and Mendicant/Allomere. Also, that is quite a bit true on diplomacy being founded upon individuals generally but real alliances/federations are not. On AT, Carelia is allied with Caergoth and Ottar not really Tara, because with Tara we are just friends with their ruler, but with Caergoth we have a general bond with the realm.

No Worries. Rynn does get emotional. It's what has made him a lot of friends and a lot of enemies. But I also hope that it keeps things interesting. I imagine a lot of things will change when Rynn is no longer on the world stage. Looking forward to it, actually. Being PM is not at all easy.

Fun, definitely fun. But not easy.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109: April 13, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
No Worries. Rynn does get emotional. It's what has made him a lot of friends and a lot of enemies. But I also hope that it keeps things interesting. I imagine a lot of things will change when Rynn is no longer on the world stage. Looking forward to it, actually. Being PM is not at all easy.

Fun, definitely fun. But not easy.
It definitely keeps things interesting/adds to the game. Just doesn't fit with the conservative D'harans. As to your suggestion that I run for PM, I have considered it, but I need to do some more politicking. Recall that one letter I sent regarding honor that seemed like I was totally trashtalking Rynn, but at the end I basically just blamed D'harans in general? I sent that to trashtalk Rynn, and be able to possibly bring it up during election season if I decided to run for PM.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton