Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360580 times)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #1110: April 17, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »
It definitely keeps things interesting/adds to the game. Just doesn't fit with the conservative D'harans. As to your suggestion that I run for PM, I have considered it, but I need to do some more politicking. Recall that one letter I sent regarding honor that seemed like I was totally trashtalking Rynn, but at the end I basically just blamed D'harans in general? I sent that to trashtalk Rynn, and be able to possibly bring it up during election season if I decided to run for PM.

Your D'Haran conversation is all cute and fuzzy and stuff, but I'm going to have to stop you right there - this is Luria's thread, after all.
To save you the trouble, Penchant, there won't be a next D'Haran election for PM. Why? For reasons I don't care to disclose.

I'll tell you I've always liked Rynn. He feels real.

And I like Alice too please don't kill me, Luria

He feels real? You should touch Alice sometime; she feels real too. Maybe before the duel, when Alice offers you the kiss of death? Maybe after, when her sword pierces that old geezer's heart from your chest? Who knows? This is all so very exciting!
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111: April 17, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
Anyone else still wondering how a blind woman is going to duel?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112: April 17, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
Not the blind woman.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113: April 17, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Your D'Haran conversation is all cute and fuzzy and stuff, but I'm going to have to stop you right there - this is Luria's thread, after all.
To save you the trouble, Penchant, there won't be a next D'Haran election for PM. Why? For reasons I don't care to disclose.

I wish Luria Nova would make up its mind. Is D'Hara Lurian or isn't it?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114: April 17, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
I can't make it on a couple of high-drama skirmishes once or twice a year! You are too much for me, D'Hara. I wish I knew how to quit you!

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115: April 17, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
I wish Luria Nova would make up its mind. Is D'Hara Lurian or isn't it?

The stance hasn't changed. D'hara illegally occupies Lurian lands. In short:

D'hara is not Lurian. Their lands are.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1116: April 17, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Well, from the last census conducted by the ever-energetic Ismail and later events, it seems that a lot of our people (the majority, now) are from one of the Lurias. Even Rynn was born in the Desert of Silhouettes, a region claimed by Luria.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117: April 17, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
Being born in lands that are Lurian does not make you a Lurian.

It's far more than just a defining word based on location.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118: April 17, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
It is less of a nationality, and more of a culture.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119: April 17, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »

Bitter, divisive lords, fractious politics, and ambiguous religious identity with rising Astroist presence. Inability to unite for offensive actions. Sui generis government style with an inherited monarchy, but also, major focii of power elsewhere, especially dukes. Tendency to experience division and breakup on ducal lines. Founded starving, weak colony realm assisted by allies. Obsessed with ancient feuds and land claims.

Who am I describing?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120: April 17, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Being born in lands that are Lurian does not make you a Lurian.

It's far more than just a defining word based on location.

So... the location of D'Hara is not Lurian by culture, and therefore it is not Lurian.

How are D'Hara lands Lurian if the Lurian culture (which identifies 'Lurian', according to Stabbity) is not present in those lands?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121: April 17, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
So... the location of D'Hara is not Lurian by culture, and therefore it is not Lurian.

How are D'Hara lands Lurian if the Lurian culture (which identifies 'Lurian', according to Stabbity) is not present in those lands?

Land doesn't have culture. People have culture.

The claim on D'Hara's lands is not based on a claim of shared culture, but a claim of chain of ownership.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122: April 17, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »
Land doesn't have culture. People have culture.

The claim on D'Hara's lands is not based on a claim of shared culture, but a claim of chain of ownership.

This claim is so imaginative it's cute, like My Little Pony or Adventure Time or something.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123: April 17, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
Bitter, divisive lords, fractious politics, and ambiguous religious identity with rising Astroist presence. Inability to unite for offensive actions. Sui generis government style with an inherited monarchy, but also, major focii of power elsewhere, especially dukes. Tendency to experience division and breakup on ducal lines. Founded starving, weak colony realm assisted by allies. Obsessed with ancient feuds and land claims.

Who am I describing?

Bingo.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124: April 17, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »
a claim of chain of ownership.

Which, let's be clear, never existed. No Lurian extant today has ever held any land in D'Hara, nor are any descended from or related to anyone who held land in D'Hara, and the "original" claim is basically a fiction as well.

It's a neat fiction that I am glad ya'll came up with because it adds some real spice to the game.

But ya'll have as much claim to D'Hara as the Moot has to Candiels: it'd be a sweet addition to our territory and we can confabulate some reasons why it Kinda Makes Sense for us to get it, and we can even dig up a quasi-legal piece of paper here or there. But it's basically just a baseless assetrion we're making.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner