Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360654 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #1125: April 18, 2013, 12:21:33 AM »
Which, let's be clear, never existed. No Lurian extant today has ever held any land in D'Hara, nor are any descended from or related to anyone who held land in D'Hara, and the "original" claim is basically a fiction as well.

It's a neat fiction that I am glad ya'll came up with because it adds some real spice to the game.

But ya'll have as much claim to D'Hara as the Moot has to Candiels: it'd be a sweet addition to our territory and we can confabulate some reasons why it Kinda Makes Sense for us to get it, and we can even dig up a quasi-legal piece of paper here or there. But it's basically just a baseless assetrion we're making.

Luria vehemently denies any contention that its claim on D'Hara is spurious.

;D

(Actually, I was a little surprised when I first heard about it, too; I can't take credit, but I'm not sure whether it was Arundel, Solari, ^ban^, or some combination...)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126: April 18, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »
Which, let's be clear, never existed. No Lurian extant today has ever held any land in D'Hara, nor are any descended from or related to anyone who held land in D'Hara, and the "original" claim is basically a fiction as well.

It's a neat fiction that I am glad ya'll came up with because it adds some real spice to the game.

But ya'll have as much claim to D'Hara as the Moot has to Candiels: it'd be a sweet addition to our territory and we can confabulate some reasons why it Kinda Makes Sense for us to get it, and we can even dig up a quasi-legal piece of paper here or there. But it's basically just a baseless assetrion we're making.

Actually Jonsu has held not just one D'haran region but two. Lands please.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127: April 18, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »

Sure, let's exchange those for every region in Luria Nova that was once held by a D'Haran. Seems like a fair trade. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128: April 18, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »
Bazinga!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129: April 18, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
Sure, let's exchange those for every region in Luria Nova that was once held by a D'Haran. Seems like a fair trade. :P

Remember that time D'hara got lippy, then got cornered in a back ally by Luria Nova, and D'hara thought it could get the girl by standing up and fighting, until Luria Nova pulled a switchblade out of its leather jacket?

No? You will.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130: April 18, 2013, 12:58:48 AM »

If we get that technical, since Bowie was the first Duke of Sallowtown does that mean Swordfell has claims to the Sallowsite Cape?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131: April 18, 2013, 12:59:50 AM »
If we get that technical, since Bowie was the first Duke of Sallowtown does that mean Swordfell has claims to the Sallowsite Cape?

If you have the cajones and military to back it up.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132: April 18, 2013, 01:31:25 AM »

Luria's claim *at it's worst* is AT LEAST equal to D'Hara's claim to the D'Haran isles. Luria's claim is based upon having been the first realm to send a colony expedition to the lands currently held by D'hara. This was an official colony of Luria. The colony failed, but it established a claim to the lands.

Other land claims come from Luria's negotiated split of land claims with Morek as two of the founding realms of Dwilight. The only lands that Luria no longer claims from those treaties are the ones they have formally given up in treaties through other negotiations since then.

If D'Hara's greatest claim to the D'haran isles is that they colonized them, then they can't claim any greater right to it than Luria. Especially because it came after Luria laid claim to it.

The simple fact of the matter is that Luria was one of the founding lands of Dwilight and through such was able to lay claim to many more lands than it controlled or was even remotely able to control at the time. Those claims have been reduced over time closer to what they can physically control, but original claims don't just disappear. D'Hara wasn't a founding realm of Dwilight. So, while Luria's claims have descended from Monarch to Monarch through the Lurian Empire, D'Hara can't claim the same.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133: April 18, 2013, 01:56:26 AM »

If you want to get technical, since Swordfell was born on a Guile's breast, doesn't that mean anything held by Swordfell is technically held by a Lurian? Because God knows Bowie wasn't the founder of the Kingdom, nor ever a Duke nearby.

Sevastian on the other hand...Has held two crowns, and held his Duchy for damn near a full RL year...Hmmmmm...

To quote Stabbity, (who just so happens to be mah wife IG)

"Lands, please."

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134: April 18, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »
If you want to get technical, since Swordfell was born on a Guile's breast, doesn't that mean anything held by Swordfell is technically held by a Lurian? Because God knows Bowie wasn't the founder of the Kingdom, nor ever a Duke nearby.

Sevastian on the other hand...Has held two crowns, and held his Duchy for damn near a full RL year...Hmmmmm...

To quote Stabbity, (who just so happens to be mah wife IG)

"Lands, please."

If you want to go that far, Bowie was the Duke of Flowrestown and ruler of Aquilegia (for a day) years before Sevastian ever set foot in Central Toprak. I have more seeds spread across this part of Toprak than anywhere else.

May I say, bam.

Not to mention that Swordfell is a cooperative effort by a great many more nobles than just Bowie.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:01:27 AM by Ironsides »
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135: April 18, 2013, 02:00:48 AM »
Pfft, we all know the monsters and undead have the best legal land claims. We are just lucky enough that they can't read.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136: April 18, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »
Shhhhhhhh

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137: April 18, 2013, 02:09:24 AM »
Hahahaha, Duke of Flowrestown? Lulz.

Sevastian may not have been in Aquilegia, but I sure as hell was. Your rulership for a day is irrelevant.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138: April 18, 2013, 02:35:37 AM »
Swordfell is cooperative? Now I have ironclad proof that Bowie is insane!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139: April 18, 2013, 02:36:24 AM »
Swordfell is cooperative? Now I have ironclad proof that Bowie is insane!

+1