Author Topic: Luria  (Read 359788 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Luria
« Reply #1215: May 10, 2013, 04:33:42 AM »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216: May 10, 2013, 05:47:15 AM »
I lost almost all of my money betting against the blind queen. I demand an epic RP explaining how this happened!
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217: May 10, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
I lost almost all of my money betting against the blind queen. I demand an epic RP explaining how this happened!

I'm intrigued as well :P As no game mechanics back up Alice's blindness, I'd say this is one on Arundel :)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #1218: May 10, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
Uh, haven't you guys seen any anime? Little blind girls are always the most dangerous person on the field.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220: May 10, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221: May 10, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
 :-[ :'(
I did not save my last messages before leaving Luria and I had no idea I would lose all of it emmigrating. I lost my last RP´s. :(
But I am glad the Queen survived :)
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222: May 11, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »
I personally find the blindness to be poor RP. As far as game mechanics are concerned, it's obvious that the character has no significant handicaps. This isn't some stupid anime/manga where all of the best swordsmen are obviously blind.

And as the saying goes, game mechanics trump RP...

And what's next, a master swordsman who RPs as being armless? Paraplegic?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223: May 11, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »
I personally find the blindness to be poor RP. As far as game mechanics are concerned, it's obvious that the character has no significant handicaps. This isn't some stupid anime/manga where all of the best swordsmen are obviously blind.

And as the saying goes, game mechanics trump RP...

And what's next, a master swordsman who RPs as being armless? Paraplegic?

As the saying goes there is no mechanic to determine blindness. Also, the RP behind it represented a blind person in a sword fight rather well. There was no parrying, there was no blocking, only a blind woman charging and swinging a sword utilizing a set of techniques, and landing a lucky blow.

There is no game mechanic to have a non-regnant king, but that didn't stop you. There's no game mechanic for marriage, that hasn't stopped anyone, including you.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224: May 11, 2013, 12:35:01 AM »
As the saying goes there is no mechanic to determine blindness. Also, the RP behind it represented a blind person in a sword fight rather well. There was no parrying, there was no blocking, only a blind woman charging and swinging a sword utilizing a set of techniques, and landing a lucky blow.

There is no game mechanic to have a non-regnant king, but that didn't stop you. There's no game mechanic for marriage, that hasn't stopped anyone, including you.

The comparisons are so utterly inappropriate that I cannot discern your intents... Does marriage make one weaker with the sword? Make one any less apt to administrate regions? To lead troops? Marriage is a legal act, not a physical condition. Same with regency.

There's a world of difference between RPing a party between characters and RPing the most badass swordfighter of the world being a legless person with arthritis and Parkinson's.

And for the record, that's not a "saying". As for a blind person charging, she could be easily dodged. It's not because that's how people have decided to RP it that it's good RP.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225: May 11, 2013, 12:39:40 AM »
The comparisons are so utterly inappropriate that I cannot discern your intents... Does marriage make one weaker with the sword? Make one any less apt to administrate regions? To lead troops? Marriage is a legal act, not a physical condition. Same with regency.

There's a world of difference between RPing a party between characters and RPing the most badass swordfighter of the world being a legless person with arthritis and Parkinson's.

And for the record, that's not a "saying". As for a blind person charging, she could be easily dodged. It's not because that's how people have decided to RP it that it's good RP.

Yea, but the game mechanics decided that Sky didn't dodge, and got stabbed. End of story. Alice even used the overrun strategy. Alice isn't being RP'd as the most bad ass swordsman in the history of history. She won a duel. End of story.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226: May 11, 2013, 01:32:02 AM »
Yea, but the game mechanics decided that Sky didn't dodge, and got stabbed. End of story. Alice even used the overrun strategy. Alice isn't being RP'd as the most bad ass swordsman in the history of history. She won a duel. End of story.

Doesn't matter what she RPs, the game made her a badass swordman. She didn't win because she got lucky or because of whatever strategy she decoded to use and RP, she won because of her badass swordfighting skill, due to being an ex-advy.

And something tells me that if the game didn't make her the badass swordmen she is (if she only had like 10% swordfighting instead), then she likely wouldn't have accepted the duel in the first place. That being said, wasn't she the one to challenge him to begin with?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227: May 11, 2013, 01:47:54 AM »
From what I understand Alice had only 15% swordskill and yes, she challenged Skynderbau. I'm pretty sure everyone saw that this duel could be a toss up either way due to both having low swordskill.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228: May 11, 2013, 01:49:19 AM »
Alice won the duel because she is, in Malus' estimation, the purest representation of the power of the Bloodstars. Even without sight, she felt their presence. So strongly that she upended her life to better understand them. And now she is queen of what is, on paper at least, the most power Lurian regime yet to emerge. Divine ordination 101.

To those not familiar with the sticky details of her conversion, she was the nominal leader of the Pyrists. Pyrists believe that there is a flame of the divine inside of everyone. Stars are giant, hot, flames. The Bloodstars are giant, hot, divine flames that influence us from the inside. It is his (very much private and unshared with anyone—even her) belief that outcomes such as these are the Bloodstars are in fact making her an instrument of their will, and that she is effectively the Muad'Dib of Dwilight.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:54:54 AM by Solari »

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229: May 11, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »
Duels don't make you a bad-ass swordsman. If you win a duel at 5% sword skill against some other loser with 6%, you're still losing your head against someone with 70%.