Author Topic: Luria  (Read 359627 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Luria
« Reply #1275: June 26, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
A secular issue, aye? Nice try. :)

He was a priest when Solaria declared war on D'Hara. It wasn't a church issue then, why would it be now?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276: June 26, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
Well obviously D'Hara wants to portray arresting the Light of whatever silly red star as a secular issue.

But well, this is an IC discussion in which I'll have no part anyway.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277: June 26, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
well, never realised D`hara was this stupid..

This move is largely supported by non-Astroists.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278: June 26, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
This move is largely supported by non-Astroists.

Yeah, and who were the primary people that looked likely to be willing to support D'Hara in a war against Luria? Could it be the exact people they just stuck a big finger in the eye of?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279: June 26, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
Well, I trust we are all civilized enough that given enough dedication, we could all come to some sort of more or less comfortable arrangement about peace and stability. It is the responsibility of those who have the power to shake up things a little so we do not stagnate, and this move definitely throws more fuel to the fire.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280: June 26, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
Well, Former Arbiter Malus Solari has been imprisoned for crimes against D'Hara, specifically the role he played in organising the first Lurian invasion of Sallowsite. Posting here instead of the SA thread because it is a secular issue.
Arresting a priest is never a secular issue for the mere fact that the only reason you can arrest them is because they are priests. i.e. you can only arrest them because of their religious office. Arresting a priest and saying it has nothing to do with the religion (and thus they have no reason to get involved) is like shooting the pope and saying the Catholic church has nothing to do with it, and shouldn't get involved.

Now, if it were possible to arrest nobles of a class other than priest, then I could see how you could claim that an arrest of a priest is a secular issue. As it stands, IMHO, arresting a priest is *always* an issue that concerns the religion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1281: June 26, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »
Arresting a priest is never a secular issue for the mere fact that the only reason you can arrest them is because they are priests. i.e. you can only arrest them because of their religious office. Arresting a priest and saying it has nothing to do with the religion (and thus they have no reason to get involved) is like shooting the pope and saying the Catholic church has nothing to do with it, and shouldn't get involved.

Now, if it were possible to arrest nobles of a class other than priest, then I could see how you could claim that an arrest of a priest is a secular issue. As it stands, IMHO, arresting a priest is *always* an issue that concerns the religion.

*shrugs*

Then move this to the SA thread.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282: June 26, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
There's also a difference between a regular priest and the third highest ranking member of the faith in the vicinity specifically on church business, having clearly announced his presence in the vicinity upon church business.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283: June 26, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
What exactly happened? Which realm arrested whom from where?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284: June 26, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
I thought you had to be at war with a realm in order to arrrest priests from that realm? (Unless the priest is from your own realm.) Was this changed? D'Hara isn't at war with LN, so they shouldn't be able to arrest priests from LN...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285: June 26, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
I thought you had to be at war with a realm in order to arrrest priests from that realm? (Unless the priest is from your own realm.) Was this changed? D'Hara isn't at war with LN, so they shouldn't be able to arrest priests from LN...

Unless he was in a region being taken over. Any priest in a region under TO is fair game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286: June 26, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »
Well this will teach me not to skim the messages in the D'Hara realm channel because more interesting things are happening in SA...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:08:36 PM by Meneldur »

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #1287: June 27, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »
Sure, you can arrest any priest... But then what? You can't really do jack !@#$ with them once you have them in your clutches. You just stare at them awhile, then they go home and preach again. And if they RTO a region or two? Nope, you can't even ban those suckers. Cheerio, pip pip, have a good time destroying our infrastructure, see you again on Monday!

IMO, you should be able to ban -any- noble that ends up in your prison, just at a hit to honour/prestige if they aren't already an infiltrator or rebel commander.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288: June 27, 2013, 02:52:04 AM »
It's a nice cassus belli to add to the other ones.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289: June 27, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
Frankly, I think you should be able to arrest any Noble anywhere regardless of realm, class, or diplomatic status.

If you have the men to do it, you should be able to arrest someone.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)