Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360572 times)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #390: September 30, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Nothing lasts forever.

The power struggles were what made Republic of Fwuvoghor unique, before the Lefanis banned the dissidents.

In every power struggle, you've got people who just want to win, and who will be ready to achieve it at all costs.

er... I must point, if people didn't want to win, there wouldn't be any power struggle to begin with...  8)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #391: September 30, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
er... I must point, if people didn't want to win, there wouldn't be any power struggle to begin with...  8)

There's a difference between wanting to be the guy in charge and wanting to rule uncontested.

Jean-Olivier Chénier, devout monarchist and king of Republic of Fwuvoghor allowed dissidents to remain and even gave some positions of power to try to keep the peace.

Mordred Lefanis, self-proclaimed republican, banned the monarchists when he gained power and installed only his puppets in order to assure complete control over the realm, putting an end to the great power struggles that were what made the realm fun.

I'm inclined to believe that the same will happen with the Lurias. The splitting up into multiple realms will, imo, contribute to putting an end to the power struggles that defined the Lurias to this day.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #392: September 30, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
Jean-Olivier Chénier, devout monarchist and king of Republic of Fwuvoghor allowed dissidents to remain and even gave some positions of power to try to keep the peace.
Jean Olivier didn't have the support to kick out Mordred, who always had Belzer's backing. Besides, he kept getting voted as Arch Priest (which is why I assume JO hired Phoebe to snipe Mordred). Mordred did conspire against JO, but he always took care to do it covertly, making friends here and there, and biding his time during JO's regime and after Ben took power. Whereas both JO and Felquiste were very much overt, both called for rebellions to seize power. Worked for JO, not so much for Felquiste.

Mordred Lefanis, self-proclaimed republican, banned the monarchists when he gained power and installed only his puppets in order to assure complete control over the realm, putting an end to the great power struggles that were what made the realm fun.

Hoho. I recall that Felquiste rebelled against Ben's, along with the Terosists. He got auto banned for it. Why would Mordred have stood idly by and let him take power in the name of the theocrats? Mordred did ban Capone, but before Mordred rebelled against Ben's himself, seizing power in the name of the republicans. Don't think he banned Glithstra Valymtor, the only other of the monarchists I remember. IIRC, she left for Enweil of her own accord.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #393: September 30, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
Fwuvoghorian bitterness has no place in the Dwilight Luria thread.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #394: September 30, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
Fwuvoghorian bitterness has no place in the Dwilight Luria thread.

All power struggles are doomed to come to a conclusion. Luria is already on its way towards stabilization.

Also Lefanis, your dude wasn't always judge. He was frequently in the position, but we did have the opportunity to ban you. I chose not to.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395: October 01, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
I'm inclined to believe that the same will happen with the Lurias. The splitting up into multiple realms will, imo, contribute to putting an end to the power struggles that defined the Lurias to this day.

Not meaning to offend, but I don't think you know what you are talking about in here. The splitting into multiple realms has little to do with diminishing the power struggles, at least in the Lurias. Nor there is lack of them, to be quite honest. You'd knew that if you were in any of the three realms.

All power struggles are doomed to come to a conclusion. Luria is already on its way towards stabilization.

I'd say it is more like a wave function, ranging from stability to chaos. And believe me, in the Lurias it changes quite fast from one to the other. To think about a stable Luria in the near future is truly laughable for anyone that knows half about what is going on.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #396: October 01, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
The Lurias have never, until now, grown the will and interest in things beyond their borders enough to launch a war.

That's a pretty obvious sign if I saw one.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #397: October 01, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
Luckily I've been in the Halls of Luria for quite a while, despite being a noble of Kabrinskia. <.<

Anyways, that means I know exactly how much in-fighting there still is.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398: October 01, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
The interest has been there before. Many factions over the years have had the intention of invading D'Hara. They've just never been able to pull together to support the common goal.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #399: October 01, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
The Lurias just needed a driving force pushing for war outside its boundaries.

It has one now.

And Gustav: most of the infighting happens in the Elders Halls, the average member of the HoL has no access to the majority of the bickering and politicking.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #400: October 01, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »
The interest has been there before. Many factions over the years have had the intention of invading D'Hara. They've just never been able to pull together to support the common goal.

Precisely what I was saying.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #401: October 01, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »

It has one now.

And Gustav: most of the infighting happens in the Elders Halls, the average member of the HoL has no access to the majority of the bickering and politicking.

Anymore... you see, I was one of the reasons they have now withdrawn such discussion from the entirety of the guild to a fraction of it.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #402: October 01, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
Not really Gustav, more that it was too much effort to deal with more nobles then we had too.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #403: October 01, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »
Sometimes it's almost too much dealing with the nobles in the Elders halls, let alone the rank and file.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #404: October 02, 2012, 06:26:03 AM »

It has one now.

And it could have been Aurvandil! But no, ya'll were all like, "Let's go starve to death in a desert then get pwned by merchants with pointy sticks pelting us with coins." You could have been dying the waves lapping the Madinan coastline red with your blood spilled in wild assaults on the Falkirkian heathens.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner